Device Manager Refreshing RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using device windows 7 64 bit installed on a 15 in macbook pro(bootcamp). Every 14 seconds almost exactly device manager refreshes then immediately refreshes again. I noticed this playing dark souls. (The problem is new, I've been playing the game for close to 20 hours already.) Every 14 seconds the game would freeze then freeze again. I am using an xbox 360 controller to play. If I unplug the controller the problem stops. If I open device manager and just watch I can see it refresh twice every 14 seconds(doesn't matter is the controller is plugged in or not or if the game is running). I have gone through device manager and told it to update anything usb related. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the xbox controller driver and the mouse and keyboard drivers. I have installed every windows update available.  Any suggestions would be appreciated. 
    Friday, July 10, 2015 1:43 AM

Answers

• Based on your ACPI comment I did some research related to it and macs using bootcamp.

Found a couple hits one suggesting to update the nvidia graphics driver(Which I sore I had done but decided to go to the site and check verses relying on it's updater and sure enough there was an update from late June.)

I installed it and restarted and checked device manager. It appeared to only be refreshing once every 14 seconds or so, so I was excited. Tested with the game again, same issue. Two hangs every 14 seconds. I then disabled a few network adapters that weren't in use. As well as uninstalled quite a bit of extra stuff. Restarted again and went on with some other things. Decided to check device manager again, no refreshing until I tell it to. It may be fixed. 

I changed to many things to know exactly what fixed it BUT I'm very grateful for your help and suggestions and after playing the game for an hour or so once I get the chance to make sure it doesn't show back up I will close this post. 

Friday, July 10, 2015 4:52 PM

All replies

• Can we get your event viewer logs?

Please read this wiki to find out how to find and upload your event viewer logs

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Friday, July 10, 2015 1:46 AM
  • From which section?
    Friday, July 10, 2015 4:21 AM
  • You should be able to download this. 

https://www.cubbyusercontent.com/pli/eventlogs.zip/_58f0b86d01ee4403bf8289b8192df3e6

Friday, July 10, 2015 4:38 AM
  • First there are quite a few issues that need resolving.  I would run a system file check which I suspect will find errors it cannot fix.  You should consider clearing these logs every once in a while (there are more than 50,000 events in each log)

Please run a system file check (SFC) & DISM (if necessary) if you are on win 8 or higher

All instructions are in our Wiki article below...
    Should you have any questions please ask us.

Possibilities for the refresh

1-There is a serious ACPI/BIOS issue.  Check for BIOS update.

2-Windows media player network sharing service.  Disable if you are not using it.  I suspect this is the cause of the refresh

3-nVidia Streaming service.  If you are not using it disable it.  It is a known cause of freezing.

Friday, July 10, 2015 10:41 AM
  • Thanks for the reply!

I killed and disabled those two services and am running SFC now. 

There is no BIOS on a mac. I wanted to check on it and try updating and such before but it's not an option. 

• Edited by hpounds Friday, July 10, 2015 1:21 PM
    Friday, July 10, 2015 1:19 PM
  • "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."- So SFC seems to have found nothing. (ran it twice)
    Friday, July 10, 2015 1:47 PM
  • Have no idea about most things Mac.  Has been at least 2 decades since I used one.

Something is making ACPI.SYS complain.

I suspect the issue wass the WMP network serive as it re-occured at ~ the correct time frame,.

Good new on SFC.

Friday, July 10, 2015 2:09 PM
  • Thanks again for your responses. 

I'm going to restart soon and see if device manager is still refreshing. It is currently but will check again after restart. 

Friday, July 10, 2015 2:16 PM
  • Based on your ACPI comment I did some research related to it and macs using bootcamp.

Found a couple hits one suggesting to update the nvidia graphics driver(Which I sore I had done but decided to go to the site and check verses relying on it's updater and sure enough there was an update from late June.)

I installed it and restarted and checked device manager. It appeared to only be refreshing once every 14 seconds or so, so I was excited. Tested with the game again, same issue. Two hangs every 14 seconds. I then disabled a few network adapters that weren't in use. As well as uninstalled quite a bit of extra stuff. Restarted again and went on with some other things. Decided to check device manager again, no refreshing until I tell it to. It may be fixed. 

I changed to many things to know exactly what fixed it BUT I'm very grateful for your help and suggestions and after playing the game for an hour or so once I get the chance to make sure it doesn't show back up I will close this post. 

Friday, July 10, 2015 4:52 PM
  • Happy to help but you did most of the work.  Thanks for letting us know & good luck

Friday, July 10, 2015 6:23 PM