none
KB3156421 - Spinning dots after installing the update, computer either hangs or uninstalls the update RRS feed

• Question

• When you install the latest Cumulative Update, your computer will want to reboot. Usually it will reboot correctly and finish installing the update, but once in a while we see a situation where the installation doesn’t finish correctly. One of two things may happen:

The update fails and rolls back (uninstalls)

There are actually several different potential causes for this. Some of these are temporary (i.e. the update will install successfully on a later attempt) and some are not. If the update installation fails and rolls back, I’d like to see your CBS logs to try to determine why this happened. I’d appreciate if you could add all of the files in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS to a ZIP file, name the ZIP file the same as your handle here on the forum, and upload the ZIP file to my OneDrive here:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6660A0E3B98E17DC!1598&authkey=!ALiXYkYnd52c7FY&ithint=folder%2c

We’ll look at the logs and try to figure out what’s happening.

The update fails and your computer hangs on reboot

We have hopefully solved this problem, but it may still occur in some computers. If this happens, I’d definitely like to see your CBS logs as described above. To get out of this situation, you need to reboot your computer in Safe Mode, uninstall the update and use the Windows Update Troubleshooter to hide the update so that it doesn’t try to reinstall itself and put you back in the same bad state. The Troubleshooter can be downloaded here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Thanks!

John Wink [MSFT]

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 5:21 PM

All replies

• Got installed but lots of fideling with Nvidia driver still persisting.
    1. BSOD with VMMI (VIRTUAL_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL) no code, restarted in safe mode, update changes undid.
    2. DISABLED NVIDIA DRIVER, back to normal mode, reran KB3156421 update, installed OK, verified winver is 10586.318.
    3. Enabled Nvidia driver -> VMMI BSOD -> system auto restarted with driver disabled.
    4. Rolled back driver to a Win 8.1 version from 2012 and restarted, no VMMI.
    5. Updated driver VIA THE DEVICE MANAGER, no VMMI
    So I am up to date, nothing hidden.
    I have upload my CBS logs if you want to see if you can make it easier next month.
    Tuesday, May 10, 2016 7:23 PM
    1. BSOD with VMMI (VIRTUAL_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL) no code, restarted in safe mode, update changes undid.
    2. DISABLED NVIDIA DRIVER, back to normal mode, reran KB3156421 update, installed OK, verified winver is 10586.318.
    3. Enabled Nvidia driver -> VMMI BSOD -> system auto restarted with driver disabled.
    4. Rolled back driver to a Win 8.1 version from 2012 and restarted, no VMMI.
    5. Updated driver VIA THE DEVICE MANAGER, no VMMI
    So I am up to date, nothing hidden.
    I have upload my CBS logs if you want to see if you can make it easier next month.

The ongoing weirdness around the NVIDIA driver is really strange. Hitting up some friends in the graphics team to see what they think. Thanks for sticking with it!
    Tuesday, May 10, 2016 7:28 PM

Previously you had clues in your  Setup.API.Dev.log which may have shown the driver not being allowed to do some of its initialization.  Are they still there?  Any difference?

BTW the above link was what the RSS feed for that thread implied would be your post timestamped

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 6:45 PM

I think IE actually scrolls to it but then inexplicably moves away again.  YMMV.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 12:10 AM
  • It is C:\Windows\INF\setupapi.dev.log.
    Looks a bit different this time.
    Zipped and uploaded 5/10/2016 extract to John's OneDrive.
    Wednesday, May 11, 2016 2:01 AM
  • Hi John, 

I´m absolutely new here, but the proble described hereinabove brought me here. I´ve been trying to solve this problem for sometime, but I´m not strong at computers. All without success. But I found another problem related to the issue mentioned. Since the problem appeared I haven´t been able to install the update "Intel - Other hardware - Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SMBus Host Controller - 1E22" and some samsung printer updates eighter 

Anyway I uploaded my CBS as mentioned. 

Thanks Stepan

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 12:29 PM
  • Looks a bit different this time.
    Big difference.  No reference to "legacy" in there at all this time?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 1:32 PM
  • Hi John, 

I´m absolutely new here, but the proble described hereinabove brought me here. I´ve been trying to solve this problem for sometime, but I´m not strong at computers. All without success. But I found another problem related to the issue mentioned. Since the problem appeared I haven´t been able to install the update "Intel - Other hardware - Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SMBus Host Controller - 1E22" and some samsung printer updates eighter 

Anyway I uploaded my CBS as mentioned. 

Thanks Stepan

Hi Stepan,

Hardware drivers are a different situation, and you'll probably find better advice if you search http://answers.microsoft.com for your issue. Good luck and thanks!

John

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 2:13 PM
  • Yep KB3156421 went into a reboot loop and finally successfully uninstalled itself after five reboots. Zipped CBS logs are in your OneDrive folder.
    Wednesday, May 11, 2016 4:08 PM
  • Hi John,

do you get something from my CBS log for EFI boot partition?

Archillus

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 4:58 PM
  • Yep KB3156421 went into a reboot loop and finally successfully uninstalled itself after five reboots. Zipped CBS logs are in your OneDrive folder.

Yep same thing here... just uploaded CBS log files in your OneDrive
    Wednesday, May 11, 2016 6:07 PM

Yes, got it, thanks!
    Wednesday, May 11, 2016 7:26 PM
  • Hi John,

Archillus

What was the file name?
    • Proposed as answer by Archillus Thursday, May 12, 2016 9:39 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Archillus Thursday, May 12, 2016 9:39 AM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2016 7:27 PM

Yep same thing here... just uploaded CBS log files in your OneDrive

Yes, got them thanks!
    Wednesday, May 11, 2016 7:27 PM
  • Hello, I was unable to install the April CU. I did a clean install of Windows Monday and it would not install the May CU. I manually applied the updates from Jan - March from the catalog. The April one would fail. I reinstalled from scratch again last night and only loaded the LAN driver and tried to patch. It failed. I was successful in getting the March one to install again but not April or May. I loaded Office 2013 and the system patched that but failed again on the May CU. All it does is upon reboot gets to about 98% and rolls back. I am uploading CBS logs now. 

Regards 

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 8:56 PM
  • gets to about 98% 

That would mean it gets past the drivers phase and fails in the customization phase.  Anything odd about your configuration that way?  E.g. moved user profile directories (for example)?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, May 12, 2016 1:14 AM
  • Hi John,

Archillus

What was the file name?
    File name was CBS_EFI_Partition.zip
    Thursday, May 12, 2016 9:40 AM
  • No, this is a clean install. I did nothing other than load the LAN driver and start patching. It obviously did the latest CU. I had to manually install the March (has been successful) and then tried April and May and both fail, rolling back. The system comes up after roll backs and runs just fine.

So, to clarify a bit more. When I tell the system to restart it starts applying the updates before the reboot. This phase gets to 30% and then finishes rebooting, after post and startup it jumps to about 93 percent with dots spinning. Then 98 and then says cannot do the updates and rolls back. It then reboots and comes up fine. 

Thursday, May 12, 2016 10:48 AM
  • Hi John,

I sent you two CBS Log folders (Altobin_1_CBS.zip, Altobin_2_CBS.zip) of my two faulty Workstations.

They both ran in to roll back after trying to install the 'Cumulative Upate (KB3156421)'.

The corresponding error message was:

Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x800F0922: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3156421).

BTW:

At the first time it was paired with an error to install the new Flash Security Update (KB3157993)

At second run the Flash Update succeeded fine, but not the Cumulative Update.

Thank you, Altobin

• Edited by Altobin Thursday, May 12, 2016 11:03 PM
    Thursday, May 12, 2016 2:26 PM
  • Hi,

I have similar issue on several computers. To be precise on several Surfaces Pro 4.

It is failing to update and roll back.

Zip file uploaded. CBS_kaltov.zip

Thank you.

Sergey Yun

Thursday, May 12, 2016 2:29 PM
  • Hi, John!

BSOD "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" with no code occurred on my PC.

I tried to roll it back and hid KB3156421 update by using "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter.

My CBS log archive has been put on your OneDrive.

I'm wating expectantly for you to solve the problem.

Thanx.

Cyber XTC :-)

Thursday, May 12, 2016 5:36 PM
  • BSOD "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" with no code occurred on my PC.

See if you have any clues from the System events log.  That's where I found my clue.

possible pattern with  DeviceSetupManager 

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, May 12, 2016 6:36 PM
  • Hello, I was unable to install the April CU. I did a clean install of Windows Monday and it would not install the May CU. I manually applied the updates from Jan - March from the catalog. The April one would fail. I reinstalled from scratch again last night and only loaded the LAN driver and tried to patch. It failed. I was successful in getting the March one to install again but not April or May. I loaded Office 2013 and the system patched that but failed again on the May CU. All it does is upon reboot gets to about 98% and rolls back. I am uploading CBS logs now. 

Regards 

If you load Disk Manager and look at the System Partition, does it have free space? Your logs show a "disk full" error on servicing the boot files.
    Thursday, May 12, 2016 7:17 PM
  • Hi John,

Archillus

What was the file name?

File name was CBS_EFI_Partition.zip
    Strange... Can't find it. Can you re-post? Thanks!
    Thursday, May 12, 2016 7:18 PM
  • Hi John,

I sent you two CBS Log folders (Altobin_1_CBS.zip, Altobin_2_CBS.zip) of my two faulty Workstations.

They both ran in to roll back after trying to install the 'Cumulative Upate (KB3156421)'.

Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x800F0922: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3156421).

BTW:

At the first time it was paired with an error to install the new Flash Security Update (KB3157993)

At second run the Flash Update succeeded finde but not the Cumulative Update.

Thank you, Altobin

Yes, I saw the same error with a few other people (Events advanced installer failure). I'll investigate, thanks!
    • Proposed as answer by Altobin Tuesday, May 24, 2016 7:51 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Altobin Tuesday, May 24, 2016 7:51 AM
    Thursday, May 12, 2016 7:22 PM
  • Hi,

I have similar issue on several computers. To be precise on several Surfaces Pro 4.

It is failing to update and roll back.

Zip file uploaded. CBS_kaltov.zip

Thank you.

Sergey Yun

You had the same error as Altobin (above) so you're in the same boat. :-) Thanks!
    Thursday, May 12, 2016 7:22 PM
  • Hi, John!

BSOD "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" with no code occurred on my PC.

I tried to roll it back and hid KB3156421 update by using "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter.

My CBS log archive has been put on your OneDrive.

I'm wating expectantly for you to solve the problem.

Thanx.

This one seems complicated, it'll take a little extra analysis so I'll dig into it when I get some time. Thanks!
    Thursday, May 12, 2016 7:23 PM
  • Hi John,

I have the above mentioned problems and added the zip-file with my cbs-folder to your drive folder!

Regards,

Christian

Thursday, May 12, 2016 8:04 PM

• Thursday, May 12, 2016 9:17 PM
  • I also had this issue:

Yep KB3156421 went into a reboot loop and finally successfully uninstalled itself after five reboots.

Zipped CBS logs are in your OneDrive folder.

Thursday, May 12, 2016 9:51 PM
  • Hi John,

we faced the same problems as many others regarding KB3156421 at one PC, two others finished without any problems. I have uploaded my CBS logs in your OneDrive folder (sunny4net.zip).

Thanks so much and best regards

Werner

Thursday, May 12, 2016 11:02 PM
  • Hi, Robert!

See if you have any clues from the System events log.  That's where I found my clue.

I checked the System events log, but I couldn't find any clues.

I'll continue to check 'em out.

Thank you for your advice!

• Edited by Cyber XTC Friday, May 13, 2016 12:02 PM
    Friday, May 13, 2016 11:59 AM

• Clearly plenty of disk space everywhere. :-/

Have you been through a process like the one documented by my friend zigzag3143 here?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-update/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-repair-system-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

Friday, May 13, 2016 3:03 PM
  • Hey folks,

I've got plenty of CBS logs now and am seeing a theme. Some of you have unique errors (some of which will eventually resolve themselves) but there is also a theme around one particular error, which I'll dig into (STATUS_SHARING_VIOLATION when attempting to update registry keys after the reboot). There are a couple of other ones that show up a couple of times and I'll take a look at them when I get a minute. But this is the most common one so I'll dig into that first.

Thanks!

John Wink [MSFT]

Friday, May 13, 2016 3:05 PM
  • I have prior to my latest clean install. I have not on this one. I am going on Vacation for a week. Will attempt to again when I get back. Thanks for looking at this.
    Friday, May 13, 2016 3:33 PM
  • Adding myself to the growing list of folks who cannot install the cumulative update for KB3156421. My zipped CBS logs are uploaded as jkwuc89_CBS_KB3156421.zip. My install of this update is failing on Windows 10 Pro running inside a Parallels Desktop Pro VM.
    Friday, May 13, 2016 6:18 PM
  • Hi John, the installation of KB3156421  is failing on Windows 10 Pro and doesn’t finish correctly. (rolls back)

I have uploaded my last CBS logs in your OneDrive folder (Xnessuno.zip; the previous was Xnessuno_CBS.zip). I'll wait for your answer.

Thanks so much and best regards.

Xnessuno

• Edited by Xnessuno Friday, May 13, 2016 7:53 PM
    Friday, May 13, 2016 7:30 PM
  • I am Having a similar issue I have uploaded the file CBS_ RBTucc  to your one drive.  I have hid the update for now.  I received the following  error codes when trying to install the update:  KB3156421  failed to update - Error 0x8007045b and
    error 80070002
    Saturday, May 14, 2016 1:31 AM
  • Hi John,

I linked your thread on the Italian TechNet Windows 10 forum (https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/it-IT/f909091d-0c86-4a88-933d-3d8cbea9a15e/possibili-problemi-di-installazione-kb3156421?forum=win10itprogeneralIT).
    I added a short description and the link to your OneDrive.

Thanks for the support.

Greetings
    Nino

Saturday, May 14, 2016 5:21 AM
  • Similar problem here with the install, the reboot was OK though. I've uploaded the CBS files.
    Saturday, May 14, 2016 9:07 AM
  • Hi John,

I believe am in the correct place with this trouble I have. 

Windows Update fails to install - "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3156421)".

• The update itself being downloaded, then Windows prompts to restart PC. When it gets to 100% of installation process, PC reboots and then shows "Undoing update".
    • Self reboot again as normal and nothing happens, only Action Centre saying like  "Failed to install update...". 

Funny though, that by acknowledging "Failed to install..." notification, Windows Update tries to download it again and requests reboot.

So all this mess continues if I try to do update again.  I would be much appreciated if you could look into my CBS logs named exactly as my nickname - Bl00dyV.rar

Kind regards.

Vadim aka Bl00dyV

Saturday, May 14, 2016 3:03 PM
  • I got BSOD Kernel Security Check Failure with no code.  Twice.  It says computer has to restart ...wait and then you can restart it.  It turned computer off and on. Now I understand that having no reference is a symptom of this BSOD, because I didn't shut down the computer properly (Event Viewer) and should avoid abusing my computer. 

I lost my Password Editor (Firefox program with all logins and passwords), as well as all filled-in logins. 

After playing with this nonsense for an hour, I got off the computer.  Long time to cycle through installing, reversing the install, restarting - opening an email or three and then getting kicked off the computer as it went to the BSOD again. With a FROWNY FACE, to boot.  (Get rid of that monster.)

KB3156421 failed to install. 

Tonight, I had two more BSODS.  I did more research and learned that I don't have to do a SysRestore and I must reinstall the Adobe Security fixes. My issues have to be related because I worked all week using my computer and didn't have a problem until this morning. 

Last month I didn't install the Cumulative Update because I had unseen-before issues that I can't afford to deal with, as I use my computer for business. I do not want to deal with this monthly.   

Win10 updates and installs updates without me having any input, as you know.  CAN I revert to downloading the updates and installing them at night, after I finish work?  I am not even notified as with Win7.  What's wrong with my setup?  (Despise Windows 10.)

Thank you.

Sunday, May 15, 2016 2:58 AM
  • John;

KB3156421 update fails, then uninstalls

uploaded CBS files to your OneDrive dir,  filename:dwpostCBS.zip

Hope this helps

System info: HP Probook 4530s w/ latest BIOS & running Intel i5 processor 16G RAM Win10Pro x64

Thanks

dwpost

Sunday, May 15, 2016 5:08 AM
  • Uploading my CBS files (Lovejinder Singh_CBS) to your OneDrive account right now. Hopefully you guys can find a fix :)
    Sunday, May 15, 2016 7:27 AM
  • I have hid the update for now. 

@ RBTucc

Depending on your objective I think you could try installing the failing updates manually.  It looks like your problem is more with WU than with any specific update.

BTW I was curious about one of your codes

PS>net helpmsg (0x45b)

A system shutdown is in progress.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, May 15, 2016 2:26 PM
  • Similar problem here with the install, the reboot was OK though. I've uploaded the CBS files.

@ Simon

Looks like yours was going along nicely and then this happened (ERROR_DISK_FULL)

2016-05-14 09:47:23, Info                  CSI    000001b9 Begin executing advanced installer phase 38 (0x00000026) index 233 (0x00000000000000e9) (sequence 272)
        Old component: [l:179 ml:180]"Microsoft-Windows-BootEnvironment-Core-MemoryDiagnostic, Culture=neutral, Version=10.0.10586.122, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, ProcessorArchitecture=amd64, versionScope=NonSxS"
        New component: [l:179 ml:180]"Microsoft-Windows-BootEnvironment-Core-MemoryDiagnostic, Culture=neutral, Version=10.0.10586.212, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, ProcessorArchitecture=amd64, versionScope=NonSxS"
        Install mode: install
        Smart installer: FALSE
        Installer ID: {c5f0e9d7-e844-4507-89e4-701b5a747221}
        Installer name: [37]"Boot File Servicing (BFSVC) Installer"
    2016-05-14 09:47:23, Info                  CSI    000001ba Performing 1 operations as follows:
      (0)  LockComponentPath: flags: 0 comp: {l:16 b:240cc43bbdadd101ee0000003c067404} pathid: {l:16 b:240cc43bbdadd101ef0000003c067404} path: [l:119]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-b..re-memorydiagnostic_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.122_none_4553a65563947e0a" pid: 63c starttime: 131076892102888461 (0x01d1adbd280e0c0d)
    2016-05-14 09:47:23, Info                  CSI    000001bb Performing 1 operations as follows:
      (0)  LockComponentPath: flags: 0 comp: {l:16 b:816ec63bbdadd101f00000003c067404} pathid: {l:16 b:816ec63bbdadd101f10000003c067404} path: [l:119]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-b..re-memorydiagnostic_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.212_none_455e7827638c5f40" pid: 63c starttime: 131076892102888461 (0x01d1adbd280e0c0d)
    2016-05-14 09:47:23, Info                  CBS    Progress: UI message updated. Operation type: Update. Stage: 1 out of 1. Percent progress: 92.
    2016-05-14 09:47:55, Error                 CSI    000001bc@2016/5/14:08:47:55.920 (F) base\wcp\plugins\bfsvc\bfsvc.cpp(218): Error HRESULT_FROM_WIN32(ERROR_DISK_FULL) originated in function Windows::WCP::Bfsvc::BasicInstaller::Install expression: HRESULT_FROM_WIN32(GetLastError())
    [gle=0x80004005]

Since it was about "Boot File Servicing" the "full disk" may not be the one that you think of first.   ; )

However, looking at your FileList.log I would also wonder about the possibility of interference by a security package.  A way to change that part of your symptom description would be to uninstall them (not just try to disable them).

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, May 15, 2016 3:35 PM
  • I can across this page while searching for a solution to my KB3156421 install failure (failed, then rollback OK. Tested 3 times).

I've uploaded my CBS folder to your OneDrive - see p_a_thomas_CBS.zip

Thanks,

Peter

Monday, May 16, 2016 9:57 AM
  • see p_a_thomas_CBS.zip

Try disabling MBAM real-time checking or if necessary uninstall it.  FWIW I had to do that on my mother's machine last night when WU's last update would not register.  As soon as I had disabled MBAM the symptom (Update and Shutdown in the Power menu every time) stopped.  I didn't have to go as far as to uninstall it but I have had to do that in the past (with W7 updates).

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, May 16, 2016 1:38 PM
  • Uploaded my CBS as Lurtzi_CBS. Can't install the update for 10586.218, Education Edition.

I am only running Windows Defender. Had about ten tries before disabling the Windows Update service alltogether.

Before the reboot it only went up to the preparation part of the installation process, then for the flick of a second it displayed "1% installing" and then after the reboot it would roll back. I tried manual installation, too.

Monday, May 16, 2016 3:16 PM
  • I have been having problems installing the Windows 10 cumulative updates on my laptop since the February update. I was able to install that manually after downloading it from the Microsoft Update Catalog. But neither the normal update nor the manual process worked for March, April, or May. In all the failed instances, the process got to 98% complete before failing and backing out.

I have not had any problems with the updates on my desktop. However, over the past month or so I’ve experienced a number of peculiar problems on that machine:

1. The Photos app worked when selected from the Start menu and when I used File Explorer to navigate to a picture folder. It would scroll through all the pictures in the folder using the left and right scroll arrows. But when I tried to move to a different album, collection, or folder, the Photos app would simply shut down. Uninstalling and reinstalling the Photos app did not resolve the problem.
    2. When downloading files using Chrome, the “Show in folder” option stopped working.
    3. Microsoft Streets and Trips 2013 indicated that it could not open files created by prior versions. (Previously, it would offer to convert the older files to the new format and then display the maps.) The program also lost the ability to create push pin markers on new maps. Clicking that option on the toolbar produced no effect. And it would not display existing push pins in previously created maps.
    4. Most recently, when opening Outlook 2010, I began receiving messages indicating that I needed to OK the download of various .htm and .tmp files as well as a file named NAVCANCL. Cancelling the downloads allowed me to proceed, but the main Outlook window was blank. The navigation pane was still available and allowed me to access my Inbox. Opening messages there again led to prompts to download various files, and cancelling them allowed the messages to be read and processed normally. I also saw the same behavior when opening Quicken 2016. The download prompts also appeared when launching Internet Explorer. Cancelling those requests resulted in IE shutting down. Uninstalling and reinstalling IE did not resolve the problem.

Even with all of this strange behavior, the May cumulative update processed successfully on my desktop. But it did not resolve any of the issues, either. Neither Norton Internet Security nor Malwarebytes detected any malware on the system.

In the course of searching for possible causes and fixes, I found that Samsung had issued a firmware update in April 2015 for the 840 EVO SSD which I have in both my desktop and my laptop. That update was created to resolve a slow performance issue, which I had not experienced. But the slow performance was the result of a gradual degradation in the magnetic charge in storage locations for older files. That required extra effort and hence extra time to read the weaker locations. I found no indication at all that anyone had experienced data loss. But I can’t help but wonder if this could have been the cause of the strange behavior I’ve experienced.

I applied the firmware update to the Samsung 840 EVO SSDs on both the laptop and the desktop. I then did a clean install of Windows 10 on both machines. The May cumulative update applied successfully to both and all the strange behavior has disappeared.

Clearly I have no proof that the SSDs were the source of my problems. But I can’t think of a more plausible explanation for what I’ve experienced. And if I’m right, then to the extent that others who are having Windows Update problems also are using the Samsung 840 EVO SSD or its OEM equivalent, it could explain the variety of failure modes and the problems Microsoft is having in getting to a root cause and hence a fix.

At this point, all I can do is keep my fingers crossed that the firmware updates and the clean installs puts all these problems behind me.

Monday, May 16, 2016 8:04 PM
  • Thanks you I tried a number of things/starting and stopping various services (via the command prompt), no luck. This update goes to about 58% and fails. I will try to update it manually this weekend and let you know the outcome.    No clue  what that code is referring to? 

net helpmsg (0x45b) A system shutdown is in progress.

I will let you know how I make out  Thanks for your reply

Monday, May 16, 2016 11:22 PM
  • John,

I know you said you have enough to get started.  It's too bad you didn't tackle my issue first.  My screen error is KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE. 
    I don't know how else to get you to answer, so I my uploaded CBS file (Joshua88). 

I installed (or tried to) the CU Saturday.  Since then, I had four BSODs on each day.  Today I had one early.  I didn't see any news from you, so I tried manually installing KB3156421 today.  I was on the computer all day.  After work, I got another BSOD and that's when I discovered the manual install did not work.

Nor did I get an "Installation Failed" notification.  That really sucks. 

The message has consistently been Kernel Security.  Event Viewers - Errors:  Update Windows license and product key tokens failed with 0x80070005. 

I used Wushowhide.diagcab to hide the updates, but that didn't prevent the BSOD from shutting me down and event viewer giving me the same (with others) "Product key token failed message."

BSODS Saturday, yesterday, and today. I rely on my computer for work.  I cannot afford these monthly distractions. Too much time fighting with Win updates. I was the one who lost my Password Editor (Firefox extension) and all filled-in passwords.  Not hanging around a buggy computer, I couldn't tell you if there are other issues, but it seems like there are NOT.  (Reinstalled passwords/logins in a second and haven't had that issue since initial crash.)

Thank you.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 12:15 AM
  • I Have uploaded a new CBS file as the  manual update from catalogue also failed at 58% and rolled back .  I have hid the update again so  it does not continue to reinstall.  I recently had a virus and wonder if this is contributing to the issue.  The new  file I uploaded is  named RBTuccs-CBS..    I truly am at a loss as to next steps and would appreciate any help.    Thanks
    • Edited by RBTucc Tuesday, May 17, 2016 10:42 PM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 1:28 AM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for taking the time to look into these for us. Uploaded my CBS logs as requested.

Chris

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 9:02 AM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for looking into these problems - I'd pretty much given up hope of ever being able to install the updates. My normal Patch Tuesday now goes a bit like this:

• Update work laptop (Sony VPCZ2). No problems.
    • Update writing laptop (Sony VGN-TX2XP; old but still a great keyboard). No problems.
    • Start update on workstation and go make a cup of tea/do dishes etc until the 3rd reboot.
    • Confirm it's uninstalling, log into the WSUS server and unapprove the update.

Honestly, it's a bit tedious now so I really hope these logs give you what you need to solve the problem(s).

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 9:40 AM
  • Hi John,

I've had four failed updates (update fails and rolls back). I have uploaded a CBS log as instructed. 

It's is only the below update that fails, others seem to have progressed ok.

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3156421)

Please help, this is extremely disruptive. 

Thanks,

James

• Edited by XPSje Tuesday, May 17, 2016 2:01 PM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 1:50 PM
  • Hello John,

I've had five failed updates (update fails and rolls back). Uploaded a CBS log as instructed. 

Every 2 or three days computer tries install the update but noway, it takes many minutes every time...

Please help me and us. 

Thank you,

marc

• Edited by leemarc Tuesday, May 17, 2016 2:37 PM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 2:36 PM
  • Hello John,

This update failed 3 or 4 times already, in my computer.

I uploaded the CBS files to your OneDrive share ("Huffao_CBS.zip").

Every time it uninstalls it, but it takes 3 - 5 reboots until I receive the logon screen again.

I downloaded the full update package from the Microsoft Update Catalog and when I try to install it I receive a message stating that the update is already installed.

Thanks!

Huffao

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 9:32 PM
  • Hi John,

Here the KB3156421 update fails and reverts into a vicious cycle.

I have upload my CBS logs (André Boalento.zip) to One Drive.

Thanks for spend their time to look into these for us.

Regards.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 10:15 PM
  • That's great.  Really appreciate the update, John.
    Wednesday, May 18, 2016 1:53 AM
  • OK, since few days KB3163207 and KB3156421 cant be installed. 

And now, to try, i have checked the first option in WIndows Update (Me communiquer les mises à jour d'autre produits Microsoft..), and refreshed.

Windows Update found KB2538242, KB2538243 and KB2467173 (Visual C++ 2005, 2008 and 2010), plus KB3163207 and KB3156421. 

Succes of all updates :)

Edit: just uploaded new CBS_cromat_succes
    • Edited by cromat Wednesday, May 18, 2016 11:25 AM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2016 11:15 AM
  • John,

I have been having the problem with this update failing and rolling back.  This is on a brand new machine and started happening right away.  I have uploaded my CBS logs for you to have a look.

I appreciate the help!

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 1:00 PM
  • Still have the problem with the update fails and roll back...

I will upload the CBS as soon as possible.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 2:22 PM
  • I'm getting the reboot fail to update. I've tried multiple updates and a few reboots. I've uploaded my CBS logs under the RaXeT CBS Logs.

Thanks for your help.

All the best,

Frank

Frank

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 2:36 PM
  • Hi John

update KB3156387 repeatedly fails to install, alogvins-CBS.zip uploaded

alogvins

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 2:48 PM
  • I tried to update several times. But every time after 2 or 3 reboots it would be rolled back . I have uploaded my CBS logs (Lusclu.zip)

Thanks for your time and the hopefully successful support.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 7:19 PM
  • Hi John,

I've uploaded my cbs files to the drive.  Could you please take a look and see if you can figure out how to fix it?  I've tried installing updates at least a dozen of times unsuccessfully. Ran the updates troubleshooter, but that didn't help...  Please help! Thanks, Neva

Thursday, May 19, 2016 2:17 AM
  • Hello John,

I have the Spinning dots after installing the update, after 3 reboots the rollback finishes each time. In uploaded the zip: 2016-05-19 CBS.zip.

Thanks Florian

Thursday, May 19, 2016 7:38 AM
  • Hi John,

I've encounter the same problem when installing the update. Please help. I've already upload the log to your onedrive with the filename 20160517_adiwd_CBS.zip

Thanks!

Adi W. Darmawan

Thursday, May 19, 2016 8:05 AM
  • Is there a glitch in the Windows Update's CPU recognition? My CBS log file has a lot of path entries with "amd64", but my computer's CPU is Intel 64-bit ("i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60 GHz" in "This PC > Properties").

I uploaded my CBS log files as detblvd.zip. In case it matters, after numerous failed updates I tried deleting a bunch of .cab files in that folder and retrying the update, before zipping and uploading the folder contents.

My error is like a lot of the others: When I shut down my PC, Windows Update automatically tries to install cumulative update KB3156421. When I turn it on later, my PC goes through 4-5 reboots trying to finish the update, and then undo the failed update.

I see Nvidia mentioned in this thread, and my notebook has a "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M" Display adapter, with the latest driver from Nvidia (Feb 2016).

John (and other MS people working on it):

I truly appreciate that you're trying to fix the update error, but I'm very disappointed with the idiotic way Windows Update handles the error. After 2 or 3 failed updates, shouldn't Windows Update have some logic to wait a week, or until MS has corrected the update package, before retrying the failed update? Making users wait for 4-5 reboots every day you start your computer is bad design.

I turned off Windows Update service, and will turn it back on every few days to see if the error is fixed. I shouldn't have to do this to avoid the pointless reboots every day.

Thursday, May 19, 2016 12:38 PM
  • I have 2 laptops with following differences:

On my Sony 32bit laptop I did a clean Windows 10 install and the May cumulative KB3156421update installed without problems.

On my Acer 64bit laptop I did an upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 on this laptop bKB3156421 fails to install.

I have tried all possible suggestions without succes.

On the system settings screen of my Acer I noticed something strange and I wonder if it could be the reason of the problem.

The model is stil shown as  "Windows 7 SP1 (herziene uitgave) v3.5-x64" (it is a Dutch system)

The Sony laptop the model is shown as "Windows 10 Pro v1.1-x86" which looks correct.

Could this be the problem ??

Thursday, May 19, 2016 9:59 PM
  • Hi John,

I've had four failed updates (update fails and rolls back). I have uploaded a CBS log as instructed. 

It's is only the below update that fails, others seem to have progressed ok.

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3156421)

Please help, this is extremely disruptive. 

Thanks,

James

Hi James,

Did you name your CBS logs tituja_CBS? If so, would you be willing to export the registry keys under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList and upload them to John's OneDrive?

Thanks,

Stephanie Anderl [MSFT]

Thursday, May 19, 2016 10:07 PM
  • Hello !

We have the same problem here, I uploaded raimbaultvalerie.zip, I hope you will find a solution

Thanks

Valerie

Friday, May 20, 2016 4:49 PM
  • raimbaultvalerie.zip

From your CBS.log

2016-05-18 19:50:54, Info                  CBS    CSI store consistency check fails. [HRESULT = 0x80070bc9 - ERROR_FAIL_REBOOT_REQUIRED]

So I would wonder if DISM would give you some clues about that?  Also your FilterList.log shows you have AVG.  You could try uninstalling it to change that part of your symptom description.  Then if it was actually interfering with WU so much the better.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, May 20, 2016 5:40 PM
  • I am having the same issue, kb3156421 failing to install, and rolling back.  I have uploading my jdwilson.zip file to your onedrive.
    Friday, May 20, 2016 10:17 PM
  • Hi,

I've uploaded my CBS.log and ProfileList registry entries under MWind.zip

To date, my KB3156421 install has failed 17 times and continues to try again with each re-boot.

Thanks for looking into it!

Friday, May 20, 2016 10:37 PM
  • Having the same problem as others have stated. Update gets to about 57%, then fails and uninstalls the update.

I have uploaded my CBS logs at tbauer_CBS.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Saturday, May 21, 2016 4:53 AM
  • Problem is obviously not solved yet. After several nightly reboots, I have uploaded my logs as chschroe0303.zip.
    Saturday, May 21, 2016 10:14 AM
  • Update gets to about 57%, then fails and uninstalls the update.

In fact, here is what happened then

2016-05-20 04:00:57, Info                  CBS    Progress: UI message updated. Operation type: Update. Stage: 0 out of 0. Percent progress: 57.
    2016-05-20 04:01:07, Error                 CSI    00000048@2016/5/20:09:01:07.854 (F) base\wcp\rtllib\inc\auto_hive.h(158): Error STATUS_SHARING_VIOLATION originated in function Windows::Rtl::AutoHive::Load expression: Status
    [gle=0x80004005]

So, do you have any "registry protector" in effect?  I checked your FilterList.log but didn't see anything obvious (apart from Windows Defender).  Maybe we need to disable WD too?  I have had to do that before too but not with these updates.

BTW this was a Find Up for Progress.  The 57 is a credit to your observation.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, May 21, 2016 12:19 PM
  • Hello John,

I have uploaded my CBS files to your OneDrive as "Andrea Swi.zip".

KB3156421 seemed to install with me, did take a long time, but when bringing computer out of sleep, laptop monitor was blank and no cursor - completely blank during full boot process on restart or after has been shut down.  Well, very slight flicker in places if I looked really hard up close.  External monitor works fine.

Can't uninstall with errors.  System restore errored.  Found a date I could use to that sent into error boot cycle, but could eventually select advanced options and chose to fix startup issues.  After that, I could boot and the laptop monitor came back with a slight video lines moving problem.  As soon as it installs again, same problem.

And, it did seem to cause driver conflicts with a couple things in device manager.  I recently loaded this machine with windows 10 and I had no driver conflicts and hadn't updated any drivers since then.  I did try to uninstall/reinstall one, and it was unsuccessful.  I had no problems installing it about a month ago.

Thank you for your time.

Andrea

Saturday, May 21, 2016 6:29 PM
  • Update gets to about 57%, then fails and uninstalls the update.

In fact, here is what happened then

2016-05-20 04:00:57, Info                  CBS    Progress: UI message updated. Operation type: Update. Stage: 0 out of 0. Percent progress: 57.
    2016-05-20 04:01:07, Error                 CSI    00000048@2016/5/20:09:01:07.854 (F) base\wcp\rtllib\inc\auto_hive.h(158): Error STATUS_SHARING_VIOLATION originated in function Windows::Rtl::AutoHive::Load expression: Status
    [gle=0x80004005]

So, do you have any "registry protector" in effect?  I checked your FilterList.log but didn't see anything obvious (apart from Windows Defender).  Maybe we need to disable WD too?  I have had to do that before too but not with these updates.

BTW this was a Find Up for Progress.  The 57 is a credit to your observation.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Robert - Thanks for taking a look.  I don't have any registry protector in effect.  The only unique items about my build that I can think of are:

• 10 accounts on the PC { large family :) }
    • using CrashPlan for cloud backup
    • OneDrive files are stored in a non-standard location
    • PC operates as a Plex server

I tried disabling Windows Defender (turned off real-time protection in the settings app) and did and "Update and Restart".  Same issue. 

1. Updates start applying
    2. first reboot around 35%
    3. update continues after reboot and gets to 57% and reboots
    4. after reboot it starts at around 35% again and gets to 57%
    5. Fails again and uninstalls the update.

I have uploaded the CBS directory and for grins and giggles the file created by Get-WindowsUpdateLog in the file called tbauer_v2.zip

Sunday, May 22, 2016 1:03 AM
  • The AMD64 thing isn't an error. AMD first introduced the 64-bit extensions to the Intel x86 instruction set so that's why it is referred to as such.
    Sunday, May 22, 2016 9:29 AM
  • Hi John,

same problem with my Surface 4 Pro: Update 3156421 fails at 100% and then it is undone.

(same as CU 3147458, which I could not install, too)

I have uploaded the cbs log"CBS 22.05.16 Brilliance200P.zip"

In addition, it seems that hibernation does not work on my surface 4 pro, for 3? month. Are these problems somehow connected?

Regards, Dirk

Sunday, May 22, 2016 10:29 AM
  • Update 3156421 fails at 100% and then it is undone.

Apparently

2016-05-22 11:38:17, Info                  CBS    Progress: UI message updated. Operation type: Update. Stage: 1 out of 1. Percent progress: 100.
    2016-05-22 11:38:17, Error                 CBS    Startup: Failed to process advanced operation queue, startupPhase: 0.  A rollback transaction will be created. [HRESULT = 0x800f0922 - CBS_E_INSTALLERS_FAILED]

Your FilterList.log mentions GDMnIcpt.  What's that?  Perhaps you could change your symptom by uninstalling it?

If it is this and there are forums it looks like you need to be a registered customer to find them.

https://www.gdatasoftware.com/support

Otherwise it looks like the failure may be related to "Boot File Servicing" so if you have done any customization in that area, perhaps undoing that would produce a change in symptom too.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, May 22, 2016 4:24 PM
  • Hi John i just send you with my file with name LaLuc_CBS.Thanks you!!!!!!
    Monday, May 23, 2016 10:47 AM
  • Much the same as others. KB3156421 appears to download and the begins restart. Progress counts to 30% and then the first restart, then up to 59% and another restart after which it says it can't install and backs out. This takes two or three attempts and then, the computer appears to be in the state before the failed upgrade.

I notice that KB3147458 earlier repeatedly failed to install and then stopped trying when 3156421 arrived.This PC has shown similar behaviour earlier whereas others are OK. This time there is another PC showing this and I will come back with that later (it also has a start button not working on one user - that should be corrected when upgrading Windows Server 2016 in the near future).

Files uploaded as TheUnderwoods.org.uk_CBS.zip

Monday, May 23, 2016 2:16 PM
  • Hi John i just send you with my file with name LaLuc_CBS.Thanks you!!!!!!

Looks like you have a similar failure (e.g. at Percent progress 100) except this time incredibly it looks like it involves WD

2016-05-23 17:15:12, Info                  CSI    0000031f@2016/5/23:10:15:12.411 [154]"SPP Installer: ProcessInstallOrUninstall (amd64_Microsoft-Windows-MSMPEG2ENC_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.35_neutral_7801d51e) completed with hr=0x80070005"

2016-05-23 17:15:12, Error                 CSI    00000320@2016/5/23:10:15:12.411 (F) CMIADAPTER: Inner Error Message from AI HRESULT = HRESULT_FROM_WIN32(ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED)
     [
    [19]"Access is denied.

"
    ]
    [gle=0x80004005]

Maybe you should try disabling WD to see if your symptom changes?  Otherwise try to figure out what exactly these permissions problem symptoms mean. E.g. look for event log entries which correlate with this event. Actually that should be "these events" because there were more than one. It looks like the "Advanced Operation Queue" is processed completely (thus accounting for the 100%) but it remembers that there was failure while doing it which cannot be ignored which therefore results in a Rollback.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, May 23, 2016 2:23 PM
  • can you teach me fix details, i don't know how to fix it :( , WD is mean window defender ?????
    • Edited by La Luc Monday, May 23, 2016 3:07 PM
    Monday, May 23, 2016 2:59 PM
  • I've uploaded ecjb1969-cbslogs-20160523.zip.

Note:  This machine is a 2013 MacBook Pro running Windows in BootCamp (dual boot).  This install of Windows is a native boot VHDX I have also configured to run under Hyper-V (so I can upgrade the OS).  It's a quad-core i7 w/ 16 GB RAM and a 1TB SSD.  I can upload a Speccy report or whatever hardware/software profiler you prefer to use if that will help.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 2:33 AM
  • Hi John,

BTW:

At second run the Flash Update succeeded finde but not the Cumulative Update.

Thank you, Altobin

Yes, I saw the same error with a few other people (Events advanced installer failure). I'll investigate, thanks!

Hi John,

Anything new about my problem. Is there anything more I can do to help you to solve the problem with this dam**ed Update?

I fear this also could hit with the next Cumulative Update...

Thank you, Altobin

• Proposed as answer by WalzRolf Tuesday, May 24, 2016 3:15 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by WalzRolf Tuesday, May 24, 2016 3:15 PM
    Tuesday, May 24, 2016 7:59 AM
  • KB3156421 install issue.

Install reached 57 %, then rollback.

The CBS.LOG zip is in OneDrive (John Wink). Name "2016_05_23_CBS-log_KB3156421 failed"

Thanks

Rolf Walz

After deinstalling "Malwarebyte Anti-Malware" and "Malwarebyte Anti-Ransomware" it works.

KB3156421 is installed.

Thanks a lot.

Rolf

• Proposed as answer by WalzRolf Monday, May 30, 2016 10:40 AM
    • Edited by WalzRolf Monday, May 30, 2016 10:44 AM Solved
    Tuesday, May 24, 2016 3:19 PM
  • Install reached 57 %, then rollback.

2016-05-23 16:35:32, Info                  CBS    Progress: UI message updated. Operation type: Update. Stage: 0 out of 0. Percent progress: 57.
    2016-05-23 16:35:42, Error                 CSI    0000003e@2016/5/23:14:35:42.451 (F) base\wcp\rtllib\inc\auto_hive.h(158): Error STATUS_SHARING_VIOLATION originated in function Windows::Rtl::AutoHive::Load expression: Status
    [gle=0x80004005]

There has been a lot of that.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 6:48 PM
  • Mine still won't update. I've uploaded the CBS to the onedrive. I'd be grateful for a solution since they are apparently security updates.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 8:23 AM
  • I've uploaded my CBS in your folder, can't update for a couple of weeks now. I'll appreciate the help
    Wednesday, May 25, 2016 11:57 AM
  • Hi John,

I have had this problem since the beginning of April or so. I cannot install any of the major update, the last one being KB3156421. My PC is an HP Pavillion, running Windows 10 -' bits.

I will shortly upload my CBS log files as CBS_filip78000.7z.

I would indeed appreciate your help.

Sincerly

Philippe

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 7:40 PM
  • Hi Stephanie,

No my CBS log is as my username is on this thread (XPSje) as requested by John. This is driving me, and I'm sure others absolutely crazy. I spent almost all of Friday online with MS tech support and had 5 different technicians try and fail to address the issue.

Why don't you have a break to stop a never ending cycle of restarts!? (it's driving me crazy!), why don't you automate the process of creating logs that automatically kick in when installs fail rather than leaving people to fend for themselves and post in obscure forums and why don't you stress test your updates properly? 

Up until now my experience of W10 was positive, now I'd tell people to avoid it like the plague. My patience and goodwill are all but gone. 

Please note that there are suggested fixes being posted on this out there that suggest the creation of a bad registry entry is the cause and suggestions of manually editing which is risky, seee http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/08/windows-10-forced-updates-causing-endless-crash-loop/#6047f049181f 

Surely you guys can get to the bottom of this one?

This is awful. 

• Edited by XPSje Wednesday, May 25, 2016 9:23 PM
    Wednesday, May 25, 2016 9:15 PM
  • What I had to do? New User?

Rolf

Thursday, May 26, 2016 9:02 AM
  • Hello

Just a quick "me too!" message from a member new to this forum. Since the end of last week, KB3156421 has been trying and failing to install on my system.

I've uploaded a zip of my CBS folder as "CBS-DonQ-26May16.zip" to the OneDrive link from the original post.

Good luck in finding and fixing the problem.

Thanks

Stuart

Thursday, May 26, 2016 9:52 AM
  • hi john

my kb3156421 stops at 59 percent then pc reboots and unistalls updates......this is goin on for the last 2 weeks .....I have uploaded my cbs log files named as ... nigelashaw80cbs....... a solution would be great ...thanks

Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:22 PM
  • stops at 59 percent then pc reboots and unistalls updates......

2016-05-26 09:18:19, Info                  CBS    Progress: UI message updated. Operation type: Update. Stage: 0 out of 0. Percent progress: 59.
    2016-05-26 09:18:19, Info                  CSI    000000d4 Loading user account SID [l:46]"S-1-5-21-1582014886-2233684137-3391576585-1010"
    2016-05-26 09:18:19, Info                  CSI    000000d5 Loading user account SID [l:46]"S-1-5-21-1582014886-2233684137-3391576585-1058"
    2016-05-26 09:18:30, Error                 CSI    000000d6@2016/5/26:03:48:30.693 (F) base\wcp\rtllib\inc\auto_hive.h(158): Error STATUS_SHARING_VIOLATION originated in function Windows::Rtl::AutoHive::Load expression: Status
    [gle=0x80004005]

Your FilterList.log shows that you have MBAMProtector running.  Consider uninstalling MBAM as a test which would change that part of your symptom description.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, May 26, 2016 4:41 PM
  • "CBS-DonQ-26May16.zip"

2016-05-26 08:30:09, Info                  CBS    Progress: UI message updated. Operation type: Update. Stage: 0 out of 0. Percent progress: 59.
    2016-05-26 08:30:09, Info                  CSI    000000cb Loading user account SID [l:43]"S-1-5-21-1878595556-2950211630-25898454-500"
    2016-05-26 08:30:09, Info                  CSI    000000cc Loading user account SID [l:46]"S-1-5-21-2025249111-1769869377-4031952298-3624"
    2016-05-26 08:30:09, Error                 CSI    000000cd (F) STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND #19499# from Windows::Rtl::SystemImplementation::DirectRegistryProvider::SysQueryValueKey(flags = 0, key = 2ac ("\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-21-2025249111-1769869377-4031952298-3624"), vn = [l:16 ml:17]"ProfileImagePath", kvic = 2, kvi = 2, disp = 0)[gle=0xd0000034]
    2016-05-26 08:30:09, Error                 CSI    000000ce@2016/5/26:07:30:09.670 (F) base\wcp\sil\merged\ntu\ntsystem.cpp(5842): Error STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND originated in function Windows::Rtl::SystemImplementation::DirectRegistryProvider::SysQueryValueKey expression: (null)
    [gle=0x80004005]

Does that problem SID give you a clue?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, May 26, 2016 4:55 PM
  • Having the same issue with KB3156421. (Failing, rebooting.) Is that OneDrive link still good? I believe they may have OneDrive blocked here where I work. Do you have another method I can get the log files to you?

Thanks!

Thursday, May 26, 2016 6:16 PM
  • I'm also having the same issue on a user's computer. Attempts to install the update, reboots, then fails and reboots again. Even tried installing the update manually. Persists across several attempts. Tried System Restore to previous batch of updates. I've uploaded the CBS logs as TakingFlight005.zip. Please update with any information that you can. (I know you're being inundated with these.) Thanks.
    Thursday, May 26, 2016 8:16 PM
  • Has failed to install four times now.  Uploaded file - UriahE.zip.  Please advise. I tried to post screen shot of upgrade history but says I need verified first.  

Friday, May 27, 2016 2:59 AM
  • UriahE.zip. 

2016-05-26 19:46:14, Info                  CBS    Progress: UI message updated. Operation type: Update. Stage: 0 out of 0. Percent progress: 57.
    2016-05-26 19:46:24, Error                 CSI    00000041@2016/5/27:02:46:24.296 (F) base\wcp\rtllib\inc\auto_hive.h(158): Error STATUS_SHARING_VIOLATION originated in function Windows::Rtl::AutoHive::Load expression: Status
    [gle=0x80004005]

I was expecting to find this in raimbaultvalerie.zip too (but overlooked since I think I learned about looking backwards for "percent progress" since then) but if it's there it's farther back than I went.  In any case, you both have AVG which is known for being a "registry protector", hence a source of interference; so I would try uninstalling it to see how else that would change your symptom description.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, May 27, 2016 11:39 AM
  • Hi John,

For the last 2 windows update my laptop hasn't be able to complete the update. I am putting my CBS folder no to your one drive "sad windows 10.zip" On reboot the update gets to 100% then states that it can't apply the update and is uninstalling them. I don't mind that I have a problem. What I do mind is that windows 10 does tell me what the problem is. Something is odiously wrong as far as windows in concerned. Why isn't it telling me what the problem is and what I should do to fix it. I log into my Microsoft account to get the updates Microsoft knows I have got a problem it just does do anything about it. I thought that software should get better not worse over time.

sad windows 10.

Friday, May 27, 2016 11:49 AM
  • gets to 100% then states that it can't apply the update and is uninstalling them.

That's true but first this happens

2016-05-27 11:39:07, Info                  CBS    Progress: UI message updated. Operation type: Update. Stage: 1 out of 1. Percent progress: 93.
    2016-05-27 11:39:40, Error                 CSI    00000214@2016/5/27:10:39:40.331 (F) base\wcp\plugins\bfsvc\bfsvc.cpp(218): Error HRESULT_FROM_WIN32(1392) originated in function Windows::WCP::Bfsvc::BasicInstaller::Install expression: HRESULT_FROM_WIN32(GetLastError())
    [gle=0x80004005]

So, is there anything unusual about your boot?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Note the possible significance of the 1392

PS>net helpmsg 1392

The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

which I suspect would be referring to another volume.  I'm not going to try to label that volume because the naming is ambiguous is never helpful.

Friday, May 27, 2016 12:17 PM
  • So do I have a corrupt volume of my hard drive? 
    Friday, May 27, 2016 1:18 PM
  • So do I have a corrupt volume of my hard drive? 

Not necessarily corrupt in the sense of random errors.  Third-party incompatible modifications (or interference) could also cause such a symptom.  Otherwise: check it and see?  E.g. perhaps start with Win-x Disk Management

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, May 27, 2016 4:39 PM
  • I've been having the update, restart, uninstall update cyclic problem for weeks now. I uploaded my zip to the location you requested as "atreyu917CBSLogs". Will the response be via email?

Thanks for your help,
    Kelsey

Friday, May 27, 2016 9:03 PM
  • Disk management doesn't tell me anything. Should I just start again and reinstall windows?
    Saturday, May 28, 2016 6:33 AM
  • Disk management doesn't tell me anything. Should I just start again and reinstall windows?

I suppose that might be faster.  Sounds like a sledge hammer solution to me.  Also notice that others are reporting the same symptom as you so it is almost certainly not random "corruption" and therefore may be just as likely to recur. 

FWIW (with no access to source or support documentation) I think what I would do in your case is try to find more clues from other diagnostics which would have been written at the same time.  Usually I would do that by running ProcMon on a repeat.  However, these updates are so huge and so multi-step that the very least I think I would have to make ProcMon only record what I filter AND (most importantly) not record to RAM.  Probably best instead to search for files which were written about the time of the update and check them.  Check not just the C: drive too.  You may have to use Diskpart to give a letter to your other volumes to do that.  I would have hoped that Disk Management could do it too but apparently not.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, May 28, 2016 12:13 PM
  • "atreyu917CBSLogs"

Another one of these

2016-05-26 22:37:11, Info                  CBS    Progress: UI message updated. Operation type: Update. Stage: 0 out of 0. Percent progress: 59.
    2016-05-26 22:37:11, Info                  CSI    000000b5 Loading user account SID [l:46]"S-1-5-21-1153876462-2465514770-1849769235-1004"
    2016-05-26 22:37:22, Error                 CSI    000000b6@2016/5/27:02:37:22.828 (F) base\wcp\rtllib\inc\auto_hive.h(158): Error STATUS_SHARING_VIOLATION originated in function Windows::Rtl::AutoHive::Load expression: Status
    [gle=0x80004005]

In your case FilterList.log is showing you use mfehidk.  What's that?  Consider uninstalling it to change that aspect of your symptom description.

Oh.  McAfee.  Someone else would agree with me

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/86224?start=0&tstart=0

(via BING search for

uninstall mfehidk windowsupdate site:mcafee.com windows.10

)

<quote>

Just stabbing in the dark here, before upgrading to Windows 10, did you uninstall your McAfee Software/or at least disable it before proceeding? It is recommended to do so anytime you have a major upgrade such as a 'Service Pack' or 'Operating System Upgrade'.

</quote>

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, May 28, 2016 1:07 PM
  • I have finally managed to successfully install the update. It worked by an inplace upgrade.
    Sunday, May 29, 2016 5:12 PM
  • Same problem with my laptop, I' ve uploaded my CBS-log in henkgl.zip
    Monday, May 30, 2016 10:15 AM
  • KB3156421 install issue.

Install reached 57 %, then rollback.

The CBS.LOG zip is in OneDrive (John Wink). Name "2016_05_23_CBS-log_KB3156421 failed"

Thanks

Rolf Walz

After deinstalling "Malwarebyte Anti-Malware" and "Malwarebyte Anti-Ransomware" it works.

KB3156421 is installed.

Thanks a lot.

Rolf

Monday, May 30, 2016 10:44 AM
  • Hi John,

same issue here. During the day the pc install the update and when the user open up the computer the next day it is forced to restart the pc since the update repor the error and is rolled back.

I posted the CBS directory zipped as Mauro_CBS.zip.

Regards,

Ivan

Monday, May 30, 2016 2:29 PM
  • Hi,

I have troubles installing KB3156421 for some time now.

Error = 0x80070005

I tried to install manually but also fails. It just stops giving the error.

No reboot is started, the manual installer abruptly ends.What seems odd and coincidence is that I'm unable to update my NVIDIA driver (laptop GTX980M) also for some time.

I have to manually uninstall the driver (using DDU), reboot and do a complete manuall install of the NVIDIA driver. Normally the driver setup is able to uninstall and install the lastest driver automatically.

When I do not uninstall the driver, the setup fails giving error that the driver was unable to install (no details).

I have uploaded my CBS log to OneDrive which contains the log when I manually start the KB update.

CBS_Fail_MSIWin10.zip

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 11:15 AM
  • I will just reinstall when I have time. I still find it very hard to believe that MS give no support or the support is built into windows 10. MS know who I am and that my update isn't working why aren't they automatically telling me what the problem is with the update and what to do to get round the problem. They know that the update has detected a problem and then uninstalling TELL ME WHAT THE PROBLEM IS don't just leave me with no information. 4 contacts with official MS support has achieved nothing. I had windows 7 and XP for years with no problems. MS shouldn't be making their software worse. Its a good job that they have got me otherwise I would be off. Very very disappointed :-( 
    Tuesday, May 31, 2016 6:34 PM
  • Thanks a ton for this suggestion!!!

KB3156421 has been frustrating me for three weeks. It installs and I get the spinning dots at login. Fortunately, I was able to restore from backup each time, because none of the Windows 10 troubleshooting solutions worked at all.

I have seven computers running Windows 10 Pro, but the update was only failing on one of them. Sure enough, it was also the only computer with an NVIDIA graphics adapter. I followed your advice and disabled the NVIDIA driver and KB3156421 installed without a problem. I rebooted, re-enabled the driver, and everything is working fine.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 7:22 PM
  • Hey John,

KB3156412 hangs here, dots stop spinning in boot screen. NVidia card in system, too. Logs uploaded to CBS_KB3156421_2016June01.7z. Disabling cumulative updates entirely until this stuff gets sorted out.

PS: Please don't force updates if you trash systems in the process. Thanks.

PPS: Stop installing this Adobe Flash crap on my machine. It's not 2001 anymore.

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 9:01 AM
  • Hey folks, 

First off, an apology for being away so long. I hadn't intended to be absent for such a long period of time but some family things came up that I needed to attend to. Anyway, I'm back now and wanted to give an update on these issues. 

There are several different reasons for this "spinning dots" symptom, and usually it occurs because something has changed on the PC that Windows Update doesn't understand. We try to be resilient in the Windows Update code so that we can work around these oddities, but it's hard to keep up for a few reasons. 

First, the only way that we know of a new problem is when we hear about it from you, our customers. That's part of why I'm happy to have the opportunity to talk with you here. :-) It gives me the chance to find out about new issues, ask you questions, gather additional info and hopefully come up with a workaround or solution. 

The other thing to keep in mind is that the Windows Update code needs to stay as stable as possible. When you think about it, this makes sense... While I know that all of you posting here are feeling some pain with these update issues, here at Microsoft we need to take our time to make very careful, very well-tested fixes to Windows Update so that we don't break the hundreds of millions of machines that are actually updating perfectly. (I know this doesn't make you feel better, I'm sorry!) 

Let's dig in to the most common (by far) issue that we've seen in the CBS logs you all submitted this month, namely spinning dots due to a ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION error in the per-user registry installer. 

We're seeing this error because two user accounts point to the same ProfileImagePath in the registry. Windows Update goes through the user accounts to update registry keys, and it's moving quickly enough that when it updates the registry keys for the first account with a given path, then tries to update the registry for the second account using that same path, it can't because the file is still open. 

Here's where it gets interesting... I don't know why some people end up with two user accounts pointing to the same ProfileImagePath. I've tried creating accounts, renaming accounts, deleting accounts, all kinds of things in crazy permutations and I am unable to create this situation. Windows is bright enough to create different profile paths even if I create/delete/recreate an account using the same name. The only way I could cause the symptom was to go into the registry and manually change the profile path of one of the user accounts, which is something one just shouldn't do. :-) 

Since we don't understand how the circumstance happens, it's harder for us to develop a foolproof way to accommodate it. Did all of you *really* change your registries by hand, is there some third-party tool out there that changes these registry keys, or is something else happening? It turns out that, if you change this registry key the account won't work properly anyway and you'll always be logged in using a temp profile (this protects the original account from corruption). 

It's quite a process for us to try to figure out where a given error comes from so that we can either eliminate the cause, develop a workaround or work long-term to make a fix in Windows Update to accommodate the problem. Hopefully this little inside view will make sense. 

One thing I'm investigating is whether we can update the Windows Update Troubleshooter to help us with some of these problems. Back when I worked on the Audio team we did some great work with our Customer Support team's Audio Troubleshooter (both tools use the same framework) so I'm looking into whether we can replicate that success with these Windows Update errors. 

As always, thanks for sharing your data with me, being patient, and helping us to make Windows better! 

John Wink [MSFT] 

P.S. Cross-posting to Reddit as well.

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 5:48 PM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for getting back to us - it's much appreciated.

> Let's dig in to the most common (by far) issue that we've seen in the
    > CBS logs you all submitted this month, namely spinning dots due to a
    > ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION error in the per-user registry installer.
    >
    > We're seeing this error because two user accounts point to the same
    > ProfileImagePath in the registry.

Bingo! Trivial to fix - update went on first time once I'd removed the old profile entry.

> I don't know why some people end up with two user accounts pointing to
    > the same ProfileImagePath.

I can't speak for everyone else, but it's because I move my profile to another drive and sometimes Windows sulks about it and tries to create another profile. I've been doing this since NT4 and extra (old, redundant) profile entries in the registry have never caused a problem before, so this looks like someone is making assumptions they shouldn't be....

> It turns out that, if you change this registry key the account won't
    > work properly anyway and you'll always be logged in using a temp
    > profile (this protects the original account from corruption). 

Sorry, not true. It's actually really simple: log in as an administrator (because your normal account is just a normal user, right?), copy the profile to where you want it, change the permissions to what they should be, change the profile path, load the profile registry hive, search/replace the old profile path for the new, unload the profile registry hive, done.

It quite literally took me less than a minute to clean up the registry once I'd got my current SID from SysInternals logonsessions, but I wasted at least an hour over three attempts letting the update fail and roll back.

The basic problem is that there's no useful error message of any kind I could do any research on.

However, the real problem here is that the failure is not handled gracefully. After the 2nd or 3rd attempt at installing the update it should be marked as broken, CBS logs packaged and sent to your team, and no further attempt made to install it. This seems like common sense, no?

Anyway, thanks again for the update - my problem is solved, hopefully it'll help others too.

Thursday, June 2, 2016 3:13 AM
  • Hi John,

I've followed this for a while, and I'm so glad to have solved the problem today, thanks to your hints.

Before the spinning dots problem of KB3156421, the computer had a profile problem. The profile was somehow damaged, and the system created every time a new temporary profile. So, I had to change the old account into a local one, and create a new account with the same email address, and then transfer documents into the new profile. After that, I didn't delete the old (local) account, just for case if I forgot something.  

After reading your post, I've checked registry and couldn't detect any faulty entries. But I still decided to delete the old account. And it works! So, I must have overlooked something...

Anyway, thank you for your efforts.

Thursday, June 2, 2016 6:28 PM
  • i tryied to install the upgrade several times. Every time after 98% it starts uninstall. I send my logg CBS_jatko.zip
    Friday, June 3, 2016 12:04 PM
  • CBS_jatko.zip
    Another Boot File Servicing symptom.  McAfee may be a factor.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, June 3, 2016 2:52 PM
  • I encountered this issue the other day, but it happened to me after creating a 2nd user account. I finished setting up my antivirus and all my settings on my admin account, and I went to create a standard user account. After creating my standard account, I tried to switch over to it, which put me into a screen with endless spinning dots. I was able to press CTRL + ALT + DELETE which ONLY showed Wifi/Accessability/Power options in the bottom corner but when I tried to enter Advanced Startup by holding Shift and clicking Power>Restart, it did not take me to andvanced startup but rather it put my computer into the endless dots loop every time I started up. I then had to put in my instalation disk(created from my old laptop running CubLinux onto a USB) and press Shift+F10 to open console, then I changed Bootmenupolicy to Legacy, then I restarted and use F8 to enter Advanced Startup (or rather to enter Safe Mode). Once in safe mode I was able to log into my Standard account which I created, but it ended up not working at all since I couldn't even click the windows button or open up the settings app or any other metro interface on the account I created. So I switched back to my admin account and it started working perfectly, I could press the windows button and I could open the settings app or the metro apps, all good. Now I switched back to the Standard account again and the windows button stopped working again. So I thought maybe I needed to make the standard account into an admin account. I tried that but it didn't work. So then I created a new account and set it to admin from the start, and that didn't work either, no start menu or metro settings app or anything. So the only account that can use the windows button or the settings app or any metro apps was my original admin account. Hmm... so I tested all sorts of stuff, deleting profiles, making new ones, restarting computer and experiencing the bootloops still. (At this point, I remembered that the whole point of my coming into safemode was to uninstall the most recent update, but my adhd kinda made me waste about 10 hours doing random crap). So once I remembered that I was going to uninstall the update, I made the very stupid mistake of performing multiple troubleshooting steps at once before testing their outcomes (come on, what wass I thinking... I just took the cisco IT essentials class in school, how do I keep forgetting the trouble shooting process). Rather than ONLY uninstalling the update, instead I uninstalled the update, uninstalled my nvidia driver through device manager, and also DELETED ALL MY ACCOUNT EXCEPT FOR MY GOOD WORKING ONE. Ok... so now after restarting my computer, it did work, however I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSED IT TO START WORKING!! ;~; ........... So now I'm in a big mess, so I decide to go to bed. The next day (Today as I'm writing this(6/4), which is actually my Birthday :3 ) I did a couple things this morning, dont remember what. I know that I was finally able to install the windows update KB3156421 . Then I remember I restarted just to be safe. Then I went on to create a new account (Because I want my standard user so I can get off the stinkin admin account) and this time I thought I'd be safe by clicking Logout rather than switching imediately over. But nope... nope... it went back into the endless circles on and on and on. But now I know how to fix it. I went into safe mode, logged into the account just to check if the start menu or the metro settings were working(which they weren't), so then I deleted it and rebooted so I could get out of my circle dots bootloop. Then I went out to Qudoba for my birthday and came home and played diablo 3 reaper of souls with my brother.

Now I'm home and I really want my computer working again. I attached my CBS files to the OneDrive for you(idek what CBS files are for but I hope it didnt include any passwords).
    Also, I'm not sure if this matters at allbut I think it might. The first time I encountered the circle dots bootloop was when I was on my 3rd time doing the "reset and reformat this pc for recycling through windows settings app", I had everything setup and I made a 2nd user account and the bootloops(I think thats what you call em) happened
    So I went on to create a install usb using a win10 iso to perform a clean install, and I told myself that this time I was going to be smart and use windows update only for obtaining my drivers, and also be careful so I will never have a virus ever (that's what I thought caused the cirlce dots bootloop the first time , a filthy virus, but now I know otherwise due to my testing in the first big paragraph).
    I got very confused when I booted up the usb and the boot menu asked UEFI or normal/Legacy. I Selected UEFI after researching it pretty extensivly (I still dont understand the UEFI setting in my UEFI Firmware menu, which neeeds me to get some key from my graphics card if I want to enable secure boot??? Totally confused here) anyways, I deleted all the partitions, continued with installation, and it installed in about 10 minutes, Whereas the reformat/recycle option in windows usually takes 10 HOURS!... I later found out that I was supposed to Shift+10 for console and then reformat in there first, but oh well(it's not like this matters anyways if you had read my above statements).
    Another thing that may be important is that I had my UAC settings on the highest, so that may have an impact?
    Also, whenever I got into safemode and was able to access these new user accounts I created, RIGHT AS I logged in, a popup came up that said ms-gettingstarted, or ms-gethelp , or ms-noobietips or something, I dont actually remember since I uninstalled it through the metro settings app to free up space. But it said that it was unable to open (I guess because I uninstalled it xD).

ALSO, WHAT I THINK MIGHT BE THE MOST IMPORTANT PIECE OF INFORMATION IN THIS WHOLE WRITING, IF I OPEN UP RELIABLILITY MONITOR INSIDE OF MY SYSTEM AND SECURITY CONTROLL PANEL. I KEEP GETTING "HOST PROCESS FOR WINDOWS HAS STOPPED WORKING" AND IT SAYS ESENT.DLL HAS CRASHED. Whenever I searched this on google, the thing that came up said something about a Windows server 2003 app called Windows account hive cleaner something , which the link for the download lead to a dead Microsoft page, but that sounds REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY similar to the problem that is happening. As you already said... corrupt user acounts...
    Well, I hope I didn't annoy you too much with my writing, and I also hope this is valuable information that can help out you guys. I also hope that you can release an update that will FIX MY COMPUTER!! :D ty bye

Edit: I forgot to mention, I have changed my names on my accounts a couple times, so if theres anything in the CBS file I provided that relates to a username, it might be a bit misleading (I added and removed and changed and appended the words User and the words Admin and such a couple different times to the end of my accounts)

Also, I set myself as owner of the C drive and gave myself full permissions if that matters  at all?

• Edited by Daniel_A1 Sunday, June 5, 2016 4:22 AM
    Sunday, June 5, 2016 4:16 AM
  • Hi John

after reading some documents & posts, here am I.

I've posted my CBS logs as robyone_cbs_20160605.zip

My behavior isn't like other guys, install & uninstall or slipping dots, nor BSOD.

Simply comulative update KB3156421 won't start to download.

After any attempt to install it, if I try to restart computer, it's prompt for "update & restart", but nothing really happen, only restart.

Really appreciate your time.

Thanks,

Sunday, June 5, 2016 7:08 AM
  • Hi Robert,

thanks so far. GData is my Protection Suite, that worked well so far. I have deinstalled it on my Surface 4 Pro and tried the update again, but the same result undoing the update at 100%. I have not changed anything with the boot, maybe GData did. I have uploaded the log without GData installed. (CBS 05.06.2016 Brilliance200P.zip)

Regards

Dirk

Sunday, June 5, 2016 10:45 AM
  • CBS 05.06.2016 Brilliance200P.zip

I think your log is clearer this time but it still looks like something is interfering or that what you are trying to use has been corrupted.  Consider trying a manual install or at least completely clearing the WU cache to deal with that.  I still see the Boot File Servicing symptom but since it is happening during rollback perhaps that won't matter.  At least these are things which would change the symptom description and perhaps allow success.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, June 5, 2016 1:53 PM
  • I've posted my CBS logs as robyone_cbs_20160605.zip

Using the pattern 20160605 I found one called  CbsPersist_20160605101022.zip

2016-06-05 11:56:57, Info                  CBS    Reporting package change completion for package: Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10586.318.1.7, current: Staged, original: Staged, target: Installed, status: 0x80070070, failure source: AI, failure details: "Boot File Servicing (BFSVC) Installer	80070070	38	Install (upgrade)	Microsoft-Windows-BootEnvironment-Core-BootManager-PCAT, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, ProcessorArchitecture=x86, versionScope=NonSxS	", client id: WindowsUpdateAgent, initiated offline: False, execution sequence: 261, first merged sequence: 261, pending decision: Unknown, primitive execution context: Shutdown Flight: False

It's strange how many ways there are to present this symptom and I would still say how do we know which volume this code applies to.

PS>net helpmsg (0x70)

There is not enough space on the disk.

Before that there was a lot of the registry overlap stuff.  Before seeing John's latest comments I had seen so much of it that I was assuming it was normal.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, June 5, 2016 3:19 PM
  • Hello John,

I've just uploaded my CBS log file to your OneDrive called CBS 6-6-16. If you don't mind looking at it, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 1:30 AM
  • Hi invisnet,

> Let's dig in to the most common (by far) issue that we've seen in the
    > CBS logs you all submitted this month, namely spinning dots due to a
    > ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION error in the per-user registry installer.
    >
    > We're seeing this error because two user accounts point to the same
    > ProfileImagePath in the registry.

Bingo! Trivial to fix - update went on first time once I'd removed the old profile entry.

Can you tell me how to fix this mess?

Thank you,

altobin

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 10:26 AM
  • Hi John,

got a third workstation with this update problem and rollback.

Uploaded the resulting CBS file (Altobin_3_CBS.zip)

I hope you can help.

Thank you,

Altobin

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 11:34 AM
  • Altobin_3_CBS.zip

Your Filterlist.log shows possibly two versions of McAfee.  Consider using McAfee's cleanup program to completely uninstall its products and then see how else your symptoms would change.  Also have you tried to do a manual install?  Doing that might help remove the ERROR_INVALID_DATA symptom but that could be due to an interferer too, so removing McAfee and cleaning out the WU cache would be my best guess for something effective to try.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 2:26 PM
  • CBS 6-6-16

This was only a CBS.log, e.g. no FilterList.log.  However, there were a lot of references to AvastSvc.exe.  Are you using Avast?  Consider uninstalling it to see if that changes your symptoms.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 2:52 PM
  • Hi Robert,

another try... "CBS 05.06.16c Brilliance200P.zip"

I hab tried a manuel update some time ago, no result.

I have cleared WU Cache -> no change

I have done a registry "tuning" run, at least that did not affect the Update problems.It might be a specific Surface4 Pro Problem? Somewhere in the web "someone" spoke of problems with different User-Profiles blocking each other? (I was not able to find the blog again.) I only have one admin User, but maybe there are "hidden" profiles due to MS Home network groups?

Regards Dirk

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 8:27 PM
  • My CBS log file: DickEngel-CBS.zip

I have been following this forum since the start of kb3156421 problems.

I'v tried all suggestions given in this forum  without any change  or result.

So finally I also decided to upload my CBS log file name:  DickEngel-CBS.zip

The log has about 2500 lines with the following warning: 

2016-05-26 16:51:39, Warning               CBS    Current sub stage percentage lower than last sub stage percentage. [HRESULT = 0x8007000d - ERROR_INVALID_DATA]

I hope this gives a clue...

• Edited by kridlegna Wednesday, June 8, 2016 10:15 AM changed text in first line
    Tuesday, June 7, 2016 9:16 PM
  • another try... "CBS 05.06.16c Brilliance200P.zip"

Same thing.  Boot File Servicing problems.  And your security package was installed again.

This time it is clearer that the BFS issue occurs during the install phase, not just the rollback phase.  Here is the code we see there

2016-06-05 23:42:07, Error      [0x018049] CSI    000001bf (F) Failed execution of queue item Installer: Boot File Servicing (BFSVC) Installer ({c5f0e9d7-e844-4507-89e4-701b5a747221}) with HRESULT HRESULT_FROM_WIN32(15299).  Failure will not be ignored: A rollback will be initiated after all the operations in the installer queue are completed; installer is reliable[gle=0x80004005]

This may be what it means

PS>net helpmsg 15299

The requested system device cannot be found.

Still no clue what "the requested system device" might be which is why normally I would be using ProcMon to help me read between the lines.  But I don't think we can use that approach with these huge multi-step updates--at least not without tweaking a few default settings.  Looking at other system logs which had records  written at the same time and then using their timestamps to imagine how they would interleave would be the next best thing IMO.  I still say we desperately need a Message Analyzer parser for this stuff.

I hab tried a manuel update some time ago, no result.

Was that with the security package installed too?  Comparing the logs for that case even if it didn't work could provide helpful clues for whatever differences it made.

I have cleared WU Cache -> no change

I think there was less ERROR_INVALID_DATA and less CBS_E_INVALID_PACKAGE which suggests that something had corrupted it when it was being downloaded (or less likely, afterwards).  Does the security package try to implement a pseudo proxy to do its scans during downloads?  Some do.

Also (I just thought of this) could Bitlocker be involved?

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 10:55 PM
  • Hi Robert,

Bitlocker is not involved: It states "deactivated", never touched it.

I stopped the automatic update with wushowhide.diagcab

I have downloaded the manuel update: Cum Update W10 V1511 for x64 (KB3156421)

Then I uninstalled my GDATA security suite and rebooted.

Then I started the manual update.

It run until 30%, then rebooted, then contiued to at least 89% (I did not pay attention to 100%)

then it failed, und started undoing the update with one reboot on the way.

I have added the CBS log:"CBS 08.06.2016 Brilliance200P.zip".

I cannot think of anything special that I did to the Surface 4 pro. I use a local user admin account. I had a hard time getting the local "Microsoft Home" network running with my Win7 tower, and in that context strange things happend. Even after setting up a "Heimnetzgruppe" WIN10 tells me this computer is not part of a "Heimnetzgruppe". I solved it by using "Erweiterte Freigabeeinstellungen" and somehow those 2 PCs find each other in the LAN/WLAN.

And as I have said, a couple of months ago suddenly hibernation did not work anymore, which had worked fine so far.

There seem to be more users in MSblogs with similar problems:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/de-DE/7048b93c-fc9f-4e14-8692-9d0a4bd802e0/update-kb3156421-wird-nicht-installiert?forum=win10itprogeneralDE

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/de-DE/7403a93a-10c3-4161-bb16-8cff2c275728/update-kb3156421-wird-nicht-installiert-windows-10-prof-64-bit?forum=win10itprogeneralDE

Regards Dirk

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 10:25 PM
  • CBS 08.06.2016 Brilliance200P.zip

Exactly the same thing but much clearer.  Did you try to find if there were any other logs with any new clues?  SetupAPI.Dev.log  is supposed to be one.  Also, what about your other volumes?  Can you find anything there which might be odd and account for this  Boot File Servicing (device not found) symptom?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

I should mention that there is a new preview version available (Build 14361) in case you have been having the same symptom with them.
    Thursday, June 9, 2016 3:48 PM
  • Hi Robert,

no, I am not using a preview version.

I have put together some screenshots and log-files : "2016-06-10 Brilliance 200P Other Logs.zip"

On my SSD in the Surface 4 Pro there are 3 Volumes, but all are stated OK (See Screenshots) . I have not done anything to them. There is a Write-Cache switched on at the SSD.

In the logs PFRO, DISM an WMIPROV might be something?

Maybe Microsoft.net framework in NGEN.LOG?

There are boot-logs "0000000207-0000000000.log" ?

I have deinstalled afterwards some more software: (Midi-Software, asio-Sound-drv, Steam-Game Engine) and restartet the man update -> same result undoing the update.

After I got the Surface 4 Pro I have deinstalled MS Office 365 and installed a Windows-Office 2010 Suite.

Regards Dirk

Friday, June 10, 2016 6:36 PM
  • "2016-06-10 Brilliance 200P Other Logs.zip"

Synchronicity (or grasping at straws)

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/kb3156421-fails-to-install-avoiding-the-reinstall/1f112c8f-10f1-4db8-89db-4a5da7f08189?page=6&msgId=ae8d4c42-8f6d-44c7-84b9-831c4ba711e5 

So here is the output I promised Stancey there

PS>LS -Re -Fi *WUDFUsbccidDriver* -Fo -Ea "SilentlyContinue" | sort LastWriteTime | ft Length,FullName -AutoSize

Length FullName
    ------ --------
       282 C:\Windows\WinSxS\Manifests\amd64_wudfusbcciddriver.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.0_none_eeff4801ac0bf553.manifest
       280 C:\Windows\WinSxS\Manifests\amd64_wudfusbcciddriver.inf-languagepack_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.0_en-us_b8db07a9a8810d2a.manifest
       343 C:\Windows\WinSxS\Manifests\amd64_wudfusbcciddriver.inf.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.0_en-us_7d9843fbe1c7b35b.manifest
       976 C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_wudfusbcciddriver.inf.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.0_en-us_7d9843fbe1c7b35b\WUDFUsbccidDriver.inf_loc
      7680 C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_wudfusbcciddriver.inf.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.0_en-us_7d9843fbe1c7b35b\WUDFUsbccidDriver.dll.mui
      7680 C:\Windows\System32\drivers\UMDF\en-US\WUDFUsbccidDriver.dll.mui
       976 C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\en-US\WUDFUsbccidDriver.inf_loc
           C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_wudfusbcciddriver.inf.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.0_en-us_7d9843fbe1c7b35b
     19118 C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_wudfusbcciddriver.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.306_none_cfb1ac6060980d36\WUDFUsbccidDriver.inf
     19118 C:\Windows\INF\wudfusbcciddriver.inf
     19118 C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166\wudfusbcciddriver.inf
     87552 C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_wudfusbcciddriver.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.306_none_cfb1ac6060980d36\WUDFUsbccidDriver.dll
     87552 C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166\WUDFUsbccidDriver.dll
       286 C:\Windows\WinSxS\Manifests\amd64_wudfusbcciddriver.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.306_none_cfb1ac6060980d36.manifest
           C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_wudfusbcciddriver.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.306_none_cfb1ac6060980d36
           C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166
       280 C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_wudfusbcciddriver.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.0_none_eeff4801ac0bf553\WUDFUsbccidDriver.dll
        45 C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_wudfusbcciddriver.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.0_none_eeff4801ac0bf553\WUDFUsbccidDriver.inf
           C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_wudfusbcciddriver.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.0_none_eeff4801ac0bf553

PS>fsutil hardlink list C:\Windows\System32\drivers\UMDF\en-US\WUDFUsbccidDriver.dll.mui
    \Windows\System32\drivers\UMDF\en-US\WUDFUsbccidDriver.dll.mui
    \Windows\WinSxS\amd64_wudfusbcciddriver.inf.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.0_en-us_7d9843fbe1c7b35b\WUDFUsbccidDriver.dll.mui
    PS>fsutil hardlink list C:\Windows\INF\wudfusbcciddriver.inf
    \Windows\WinSxS\amd64_wudfusbcciddriver.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.306_none_cfb1ac6060980d36\WUDFUsbccidDriver.inf
    \Windows\INF\wudfusbcciddriver.inf
    \Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166\wudfusbcciddriver.inf
    PS>fsutil hardlink list C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166\WUDFUsbccidDriver.dll
    \Windows\WinSxS\amd64_wudfusbcciddriver.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.306_none_cfb1ac6060980d36\WUDFUsbccidDriver.dll
    \Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166\WUDFUsbccidDriver.dll
    PS>

Hey.  I do have different messages in my SetupAPI.Dev.log.  But why?  In any case I think this is looking like yet another red herring.

Yours:  (similar excerpt found at end)

sto: {Stage Driver Package: C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\amd64_wudfusbcciddriver.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.306_none_cfb1ac6060980d36\wudfusbcciddriver.inf} 23:50:53.768
         inf:      {Query Configurability: C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\amd64_wudfusbcciddriver.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.306_none_cfb1ac6060980d36\wudfusbcciddriver.inf}
    23:50:53.791
         inf:           Driver package 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf' is configurable.
         flq:      Hardlinking 'C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\amd64_wudfusbcciddriver.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.306_none_cfb1ac6060980d36\WUDFUsbccidDriver.dll' to
    'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166\WUDFUsbccidDriver.dll'.
         flq:      Hardlinking 'C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\amd64_wudfusbcciddriver.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.306_none_cfb1ac6060980d36\wudfusbcciddriver.inf' to
    'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166\wudfusbcciddriver.inf'.
         idb:      {Register Driver Package: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166\wudfusbcciddriver.inf} 23:50:53.795
         idb:           Created driver package object 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166' in DRIVERS database node.
         idb:           Driver INF file object 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf' already exists in DRIVERS database node.
         idb:           Registered driver package 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166' with 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf'.
         sto: {Publish Driver Package: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166\wudfusbcciddriver.inf} 23:50:54.924
         sto:      Driver Package = wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166
         idb:      {Publish Driver Package: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166\wudfusbcciddriver.inf} 23:50:54.924
         idb:           Changing active driver package from 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_dd57b73ac6a417ae' to 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166'.
         cpy:           Unpublished 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf'.
         idb:           Deindexed 1 driver file for 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_dd57b73ac6a417ae'.
         idb:           Deindexed 11 device IDs for 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_dd57b73ac6a417ae'.
         cpy:           Published 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166\wudfusbcciddriver.inf' to 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf'.
         idb:           Indexed 1 driver file for 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166'.
         idb:           Indexed 11 device IDs for 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166'.
         sto: No effective section names for 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf'.
         sto: {Reflect Driver Package: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166\wudfusbcciddriver.inf}
         idb:           wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166 (active)
         idb:           wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_dd57b73ac6a417ae
         sto: {Update Device Drivers: wudfusbcciddriver.inf} 23:51:00.010
         sto: {Unpublish Driver Package: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166\wudfusbcciddriver.inf} 23:54:08.968
         idb:      {Unpublish Driver Package: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166\wudfusbcciddriver.inf} 23:54:08.968
         idb:           Changing active driver package from 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166' to 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_dd57b73ac6a417ae'.
         idb:           Deindexed 1 driver file for 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166'.
         idb:           Deindexed 11 device IDs for 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166'.
         cpy:           Published 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_dd57b73ac6a417ae\wudfusbcciddriver.inf' to 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf'.
         idb:           Indexed 1 driver file for 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_dd57b73ac6a417ae'.
         idb:           Indexed 11 device IDs for 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_dd57b73ac6a417ae'.
         sto: {Reflect Driver Package: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_dd57b73ac6a417ae\wudfusbcciddriver.inf}
         idb:           wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166
         idb:           wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_dd57b73ac6a417ae (active)
         sto: {Update Device Drivers: wudfusbcciddriver.inf} 23:54:15.217
         sto: {Unstage Driver Package: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166\wudfusbcciddriver.inf} 23:56:18.487
         idb:      {Unregister Driver Package: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166\wudfusbcciddriver.inf} 23:56:18.487
         idb:           Unregistered driver package 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166' from 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf'.
         idb:           Deleted driver package object 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166' from DRIVERS database node.
         idb:           Driver packages registered to 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf':
         idb:                wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_dd57b73ac6a417ae
         cpy:      {Delete Directory: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166} 23:56:18.502

Mine:

PS>GC SetupAPI.Dev.log | Select-String "WUDFUSBCCIDDriver"

sto: {Stage Driver Package: C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\amd64_wudfusbcciddriver.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.306_none_cfb1ac6060980d36\wudfusbcciddriver.inf} 06:53:06.417
         inf:      {Query Configurability: C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\amd64_wudfusbcciddriver.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.306_none_cfb1ac6060980d36\wudfusbcciddriver.inf}
    06:53:06.417
         inf:           Driver package 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf' is configurable.
         flq:      Hardlinking 'C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\amd64_wudfusbcciddriver.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.306_none_cfb1ac6060980d36\WUDFUsbccidDriver.dll' to
    'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166\WUDFUsbccidDriver.dll'.
         flq:      Hardlinking 'C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\amd64_wudfusbcciddriver.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.306_none_cfb1ac6060980d36\wudfusbcciddriver.inf' to
    'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166\wudfusbcciddriver.inf'.
         idb:      {Register Driver Package: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166\wudfusbcciddriver.inf} 06:53:06.433
         idb:           Created driver package object 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166' in DRIVERS database node.
         idb:           Driver INF file object 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf' already exists in DRIVERS database node.
         idb:           Registered driver package 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166' with 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf'.
         sto: {Publish Driver Package: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166\wudfusbcciddriver.inf} 06:53:06.748
         idb:      {Publish Driver Package: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166\wudfusbcciddriver.inf} 06:53:06.748
         idb:           Changing active driver package from 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_dd57b73ac6a417ae' to 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166'.
         idb:           Deindexed 1 driver file for 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_dd57b73ac6a417ae'.
         idb:           Deindexed 11 device IDs for 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_dd57b73ac6a417ae'.
         cpy:           Published 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166\wudfusbcciddriver.inf' to 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf'.
         idb:           Indexed 1 driver file for 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166'.
         idb:           Indexed 11 device IDs for 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166'.
         sto: {Reflect Driver Package: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166\wudfusbcciddriver.inf}
         idb:           wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166 (active)
         idb:           wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_dd57b73ac6a417ae
         sto: {Update Device Drivers: wudfusbcciddriver.inf} 06:53:08.304
         sto: {Unpublish Driver Package: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_dd57b73ac6a417ae\wudfusbcciddriver.inf} 00:13:32.342
         sto:      Driver Package = wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_dd57b73ac6a417ae
         idb:      {Unpublish Driver Package: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_dd57b73ac6a417ae\wudfusbcciddriver.inf} 00:13:32.352
         idb:           Driver package 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166' is already active.
         sto: Higher version of 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf' is currently reflected.
         sto:      Filename = C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166\wudfusbcciddriver.inf
         sto: {Unstage Driver Package: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_dd57b73ac6a417ae\wudfusbcciddriver.inf} 00:13:32.429
         idb:      {Unregister Driver Package: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_dd57b73ac6a417ae\wudfusbcciddriver.inf} 00:13:32.432
         idb:           Unregistered driver package 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_dd57b73ac6a417ae' from 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf'.
         idb:           Deleted driver package object 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_dd57b73ac6a417ae' from DRIVERS database node.
         idb:           Driver packages registered to 'wudfusbcciddriver.inf':
         idb:                wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_fce7ba60c4544166
         cpy:      {Delete Directory: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wudfusbcciddriver.inf_amd64_dd57b73ac6a417ae} 00:13:32.442
    !    sto: Unable to find driver update 'C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\amd64_wudfusbcciddriver.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.0_none_eeff4801ac0bf553\WUDFUsbccidDriver.inf' in
    Driver Store.
         sto: Driver update 'C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\amd64_wudfusbcciddriver.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.0_none_eeff4801ac0bf553\WUDFUsbccidDriver.inf' is not staged.

I'll try looking at the rest of your docs later.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, June 11, 2016 6:58 AM
  • In my SetupAPI.Dev.log I can find 14 unregistered driver packages?

Dirk

Saturday, June 11, 2016 2:47 PM
  • 14 unregistered driver packages

Care to expand on that observation?

PS>gc SetupAPI.Dev.log | Select-String "Unregistered" | sort | select -unique | measure-object | select Count

Count
    -----

PS>

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, June 11, 2016 3:46 PM
  • 14 unregistered driver packages

Oops.

PS>Get-Clipboard | Select-String "Unregistered" | sort | select -unique | measure-object | select Count

Count
    -----

<voice actor="Emily Litella">

Never mind!

</ voice>

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, June 11, 2016 6:04 PM
  • Hi -

I am just hitting this same problem on a Surface Pro 2 that I've had for a few years without issues. I wiped my user account and gave the machine to someone else after setting up an account for her....

Shortly after, it started doing the install cycle dance on KB3156421 with error 0x800f0922 - like others on here, it got to 98% then rolled back claiming it couldn't complete. So, yes, it's down to the final configuration and then it fails.

Robert, your comment above struck a nerve because, yes, I did remove a user profile completely. I don't see any other suggestions/comments on this thread about this except for your comment.

Do you think that is the issue, and if so, what can I do to get past it? (Short of reinstalling windows.)

Thanks

Rob D

Saturday, June 11, 2016 8:28 PM
  • Hi Rob,

I like your description of the problem  "install cycle dance" I had a similar problem.

It drove me crazy I tried all possible suggestions.

After spending many hours and  maybe 20 or more attempts I decided to do a so called repair install.

I did run Windows setup with option "Keep personal files and settings"

DO NOT choose: "Download and install updates (Recommended)" but use "Not right now"

When I used Download and install updates the proces failed at 41% with in Dutch "Er is iets gebeurd..." In English: something happend... I suppose

Install completed successful and I kept all my files and settings.

Afterwards I ran update I got 3 updates including KB3156421 installed without problem.

Question still remains what is the root of this problem?

Hope it helps..

Dick E.

Saturday, June 11, 2016 10:14 PM
  • Robert, your comment above struck a nerve because, yes, I did remove a user profile completely. I don't see any other suggestions/comments on this thread about this except for your comment.

I may have been first to mention the possible issue but  invisnet  is the poster who described a specific scenario and explained what could be done about it.  Actually I was thinking more of directories and less about the consequences of that for the registry.   ; )

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, June 12, 2016 1:09 AM
  • Hello, my windows 10 Home 64 bit is trying to install KB3156421 since April but without success. It will reboot correctly but then does not finish installing the update completely. The update fails and rolls back. Please help me! I already uploaded my CBS logs.

Monday, June 13, 2016 12:11 PM
  • Here are my steps leading to the problem and how I diagnosed and corrected KB3156421 failing to install. In my case it appears it was due to duplicate ProfileList entries in the registry.

Upgraded from Win 8.1 Pro 32bit to Win 10 Pro 32bit.

Windows Update repeatedly downloaded and installed KB3156421 but failed with message “We couldn’t complete the update, undoing changes”.

Prevented Windows Update from installing KB3156421 - set the current Wifi connection to metered:

Settings app > Network & Internet > WiFi > Advanced options > Set as metered connection ON

Created a Restore point in case things got broken:

Control Panel > Recovery > Configure System Restore > Protection settings C: ON > Create… > “B4 Regedit ProfileList”

Checked the registry for duplicate entries and deleted the bad one:

Regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\

Two entries have the same ProfileImagePath=C:\Users\UpdatusUser

S-1-5-21-168771344-311525615-934777103-1002

S-1-5-21-168771344-311525615-934777103-1007

All similar ProfileList entries had a value for “Migrated” except the …1007 UpdateUser entry.

Deleted the …1007 entry.

Troubleshoot Windows Update to be sure it is clean:

Control Panel > Troubleshooting > Fix problems with Windows Update > Advanced > Run as Administrator > Next > Problems found & Fixed, Close

Downloaded KB3156421 from Microsoft Update Catalog (must use IE):

Internet Explorer > catalog.update.microsoft.com > Search KB3156421 > Add as appropriate > View basket > Download

Navigate to and run the msu file.

Update installed correctly :-)

Checked the registry with Regedit. The ProfileList entry …1007 was back but with ProfileImagePath=C:\Users\UpdatusUser.V3000

• Proposed as answer by David Clarey Tuesday, June 14, 2016 1:11 AM
    • Edited by David Clarey Tuesday, June 14, 2016 1:04 PM Edited Troubleshooting step
    Monday, June 13, 2016 12:51 PM
  • I can't install the update. I uploaded the file as CBS_brianwee@outlook.com.zip. Also I cannot for some reason fully poweroff -USB and peripherals still powered, power light on. Maybe it is correlated?
    Monday, June 13, 2016 1:17 PM
  • Gedrich_CBS.zip

Another instance of registry overlap warnings which culminated with this.

2016-06-12 16:42:08, Info                  CBS    Reporting poqexec status with status: 0xc00000d4, failed file: ieinstal.exe, interfering process: , context: Shutdown, first merged sequence: 1232016-06-13 13:50:36, Error                 CSI    00000008 (F) Error: ResolvePendingTransactions called after poqexec failure (call 1)
      Status = STATUS_NOT_SAME_DEVICE, Operation = HardLinkFile, DiagString = [l:171]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-ieinstal_31bf3856ad364e35_11.0.10586.306_none_998be9c919fa407e\ieinstal.exe, \??\D:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\ieinstal.exe"
    [gle=0x80004005]

So,  is  "ERROR_NOT_SAME_DEVICE" or "ieinstal.exe" on D: (everything else seems to be on C: ?) reminding you of some modifications that you have made?

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, June 13, 2016 1:44 PM
  • Hello John,

Same problem here on my boss laptop, it keeps installing then running back for this KB.

I posted the CBS at SylvainH.zip.

Could you check it please and help me, i'm stuck with this error !

Thanks !

Monday, June 13, 2016 2:03 PM
  • Hello,

I've got the same problem on my boss laptop, the KB keeps installing and running back.

I posted the CBS SylvainH.zip on the oneDrive directory.

Can you check it and help me please?

Thanks.

• Proposed as answer by henkgl Monday, June 13, 2016 3:13 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by henkgl Monday, June 13, 2016 3:13 PM
    Monday, June 13, 2016 2:18 PM
  • I've had the same problem  for some weeks.

Today I read on the MS-website that KB3156421 is supposed to replace KB3147458. So I uninstalled the latter and tried to install KB3156421 again.  It works !

henk
    Monday, June 13, 2016 3:13 PM
  • Solved: two user accounts pointed to the same ProfileImagePath in the registry
    Monday, June 13, 2016 4:14 PM
  • Gedrich_CBS.zip

Another instance of registry overlap warnings which culminated with this.

2016-06-12 16:42:08, Info                  CBS    Reporting poqexec status with status: 0xc00000d4, failed file: ieinstal.exe, interfering process: , context: Shutdown, first merged sequence: 1232016-06-13 13:50:36, Error                 CSI    00000008 (F) Error: ResolvePendingTransactions called after poqexec failure (call 1)
      Status = STATUS_NOT_SAME_DEVICE, Operation = HardLinkFile, DiagString = [l:171]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-ieinstal_31bf3856ad364e35_11.0.10586.306_none_998be9c919fa407e\ieinstal.exe, \??\D:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\ieinstal.exe"
    [gle=0x80004005]

So,  is  "ERROR_NOT_SAME_DEVICE" or "ieinstal.exe" on D: (everything else seems to be on C: ?) reminding you of some modifications that you have made?

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thanks for the fast response! I installed Windows on C:\ but changed "ProgramFilesDir" and "ProgramFilesDir (x86)" in the reg to D:\ so that all my programs are installed on D:\ 
    ieinstal.exe is still on C:\ but not working. (I cannot start IE on my windows)

How can I fix that problem?

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 9:32 AM
  • Hello,

I've got the same problem on my boss laptop, the KB keeps installing and running back.

I posted the CBS SylvainH.zip on the oneDrive directory.

Can you check it and help me please?

Thanks.

Can someone help me please?
    Tuesday, June 14, 2016 12:37 PM
  • After uninstalling McAfee the problem is still the same.
    Tuesday, June 14, 2016 1:51 PM
  • ieinstal.exe is still on C:\ but not working. (I cannot start IE on my windows)

Is  IE checked in Windows Features?  If not, I wonder why they are trying to do this that way.  There is another tool called  ie4uinit.exe  that I would have expected to be used instead.  There are lots of command line switches for the latter.  I don't know anything about this one.

BTW the configuration you are trying to use is documented as being "not supported" but I know that lots of people try it and some may succeed (to some extent).

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 2:51 PM
  • And as I have said, a couple of months ago suddenly hibernation did not work anymore, which had worked fine so far.

I just realized that this observation could be related to your Boot File Servicing symptom.  E.g. if your BCD was corrupted somehow it might mean that you could not do Resume (the Hibernation factor) and you could not get an update done which might involve that (the Boot File Servicing factor).  Unfortunately I don't have a specific repair to propose for this scenario. 

FWIW here is something that I did when I was having related problems with these updates:  added  DisplayBootMenu  to it.  So, if you couldn't do that, it would give you an additional symptom in the same category which clearly would have to be fixed somehow independently before you could do the update.  In fact, I find it quite handy having a boot menu to segment the boot process and provide additional diagnostic options then.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 3:18 PM
  • After uninstalling McAfee the problem is still the same.

Then let's work on your  Boot File Servicing  symptom.  Do you have a boot menu?  If not try adding  DisplayBootMenu  to your BCD--e.g. test that it is still writable.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 3:21 PM
  • Same issue on today's patch.... where's the new thread for this? 
    Tuesday, June 14, 2016 7:24 PM
  • kb3163018 roll back also :(

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 7:47 PM
  • Well, a new KB3163018 is present and fails also with error 0x80070005.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 8:27 PM
  • Same issue on today's patch.... where's the new thread for this? 

Thanks for the heads up.  This explains why the OneDrive stopped working.

Check John Wink's threads to find

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2242904c-9090-4184-b29f-513d56217954/windows-10-june-updates-kb3163017-th1-and-kb3163018-th2-are-on-the-way?forum=win10itprogeneral

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 8:32 PM
  • BCD seems to be corrupted: In cmd with admin the answer to BCDEdit is

"Der Speicher für die Startkofigurationsdaten konnte nicht geöffnet werden. Das angeforderte Systemgerät konnte nicht gefunden werden."

That sounds like the "the requested system device" from above.

"Bootrec" is unknoun

I checked in  Regedit according to David Clarey: In my case, there are no 2 profils which use the same path in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\

Two entries have the same ProfileImagePath=C:\Users\UpdatusUser

Now, on patchday my problem moved to update KB 3163018, same result.

Currently I am downloading the usb-recoveryfile Win10 Surface Pro. I hope I'll be able to restore my BCD with

Bootrec /fixMBR
    bootrec /fixBoot
    bootrec /rebuildBCD

according to

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/error-code-0xc0000034-with-windows-10/8e8ef3d1-7676-455e-becf-502a3e7ba5f8

? Is that going to work?

Another question is: How did BCD get corrupted? I did nothing to it?

-> answer:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/two-brand-new-surface-pro-4-with-sfc-scannow/b1fa1080-a44d-466a-83ae-13a177e9bcaf

There seems to be a BCD corrupting function in the Win10 updates. Is that fixed now?

Will try the proposed solution with DISM

Regards Dirk

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 8:34 PM
  • BCD seems to be corrupted: In cmd with admin the answer to BCDEdit is

"Der Speicher für die Startkofigurationsdaten konnte nicht geöffnet werden. Das angeforderte Systemgerät konnte nicht gefunden werden."

[BING translate:

"The memory of the Startkofigurationsdaten could not be opened. The requested system device could not be retrieved."

]

Do you have a Hiberfil.sys?  It would be hidden.  Also you could try disabling Hibernate to see if that would change your symptoms.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 3:30 AM
  • Eureka! ... got it.

1st checked for hidden hiberfil.sys, found it, switched off hibernation -> file disappeared.

Tried man update again, same result undoing the update.

Tried sfc /SCANNOW -> corrupt system files (jumped from 15% to 100%)

Downloaded 6,7 gig Recovery Image from MS for Surface 4 pro.

Put it on a FAT32 USB-Stick

Tried NTLite to change “Install.svm” in \sources into “Install.wim” -> Error 20 on Win7 and Error11 on Win10 ?? so that did not work.

Put USB Stick into Surface 4 pro and reboot into Repairmenu -> Repair System

-> Reboot

Checked sfc /SCANNOW again -> still corrupt system files, but incremented from 1% to 100%.

Retried man Update K3163018 -> Success!!!

Switched on hibernation and fast boot again -> worked!

Bye

Dirk

Thursday, June 16, 2016 7:36 PM
  • Ok, I tried the suggestion above, using sfc /SCANNOW, on my system.

It ended with

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
    of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log".

I do not have any knowledge on the errors listed in the log. They are numerous.

I could not upload the log, the onedrive folder seems to be gone (from the startpost).

Thursday, June 16, 2016 9:33 PM
  • the solution in my case was to restore at least part of the damaged system files probably the bcd, in my case by using the recovery image. there might be 2 others ways using dism or bootrec.

Dirk

Thursday, June 16, 2016 9:55 PM
  • Followed the same steps.

Good news is that the update installs then.

Bad news is that it creates a separate new profile (UpdatusUser.V3000) in the above example.

Would we get another result in case we delete the other profile?

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 3:04 PM
  • profile registry hive? how do you load it?
    Tuesday, September 27, 2016 3:09 PM
  • how can i send these things if i cannot access the laptop 

Thursday, January 25, 2018 12:06 PM