none
Help with what version of SBS 2011 I need. RRS feed

• Question

• Currently have Desktop PC's with Microsoft Outlook 2010 connecting to 3 different ISP's for POP email, using a PST file for each.

Looking at a server for sharing of files and having exchange taking care of the email would be great, I can point the domain MX record to the server for one of the domains, but how would I handle the other two email accounts? and what version of SBS 2011 would I be better off to get?

Might need to look at Essentials 2011, and the desktops with Outlook should stay the way they are on the local PC?

If anyone has any suggestions please help.

Kind Regards

Stew.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:02 PM

All replies

• SBS Essentials does not give you an exchange server.

SBS Standard gets you an exchange server.

I wouldn't want the headache of administering an exchange server for a very small number of users since there are inexpensive options available on the internet. I don't believe that an exchange server would optimize retrieval of mail from multiple POP accounts.

Wim.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:21 PM
  • personally i would go with either SBS essentials or Windows Home Server and then using office 365 for e-mail with exchange features.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 5:59 PM
  • You left out one of the crucial peices:  how many workstations?  SBSs is good for up to 75 users or computers, SBSe up to 25 attached computers.

SBSs will work fine with multiple email domains.  SBSe will allow you to pop for your mail the way you are now, but you still have to deal with multiple .pst files scattered over X stations.  I would prefer SBSs with Exchange or SBSe with hosted email of any flavor, or even kerio mail on a XP class workstation.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP]
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 5:43 PM