none
IE11 Enterprise Site List Manager XML file setup - HTTP, Local Network, or Local File

Question

• Hello,

I'm currently in the process of testing/deploying IE11 in our environment and I've begun testing on the IE11 Enterprise Site List manager.

I've read that there are a few different ways to configure the XML file to apply via GPO per the article below.  HTTP, Local Network, Local File. (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Dn640699.aspx)

In my isolated testing I've chosen to use the local file method which is very easy to setup and use on a testing machine.

It looks like we have the flexibility to choose how we apply the XML file, and I was curious what the best options are and why?  Also are there examples of each setup being used and the benefits/downsides to each?

Here's the options that I can see using:

1. HTTP - setup an IIS website to host the XML file.

2. Local Network (UNC) - setup a UNC path on our DFS where we store the current XML file and users would have read only access to that location.

3. Local File - We could just deploy the XML file via SCCM package/application when updates to the list are required.

Could anyone please point me towards some articles, etc, explaining the pro's and cons of these methods and why I might want to choose one over the other?  I'm leaning towards just using a DFS share and option #2 because it doesn't require us to maintain an IIS site for it but I am curious to hear if there might be any downsides to this method, or benefits to going with another method.

Thanks!

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 3:52 PM

Answers

• Instead of using "Compatibility View", I recommend you allow your users to enable "Enterprise Mode" from the tools menu, or, instruct a few users on how to use F12 Dev tools to select/force a specific docmode.

Selecting a specific docmode is now considered the better approach, rather than just enabling EM. This is because enabling EM causes the older emulation binaries to be used, and some of those older emulations include some risky behaviours.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn872481.aspx

You can setup a "collector", so that when your testing people configure EM or a docmode, that data is sent to your server. You can use that collected data to build your EM sitelist XML file.

Don

Friday, September 11, 2015 10:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It's depend on your environment and expectation, we need sure this xml file should be accessible by client, also more convenience more better.

You have described the methods to host XML file for HTTP, local network and local file, also it's the difference between themselves.

If you have deploy IIS, we might be use IIS to host this XML file. Or if you have FTP server or other file shared server, we may choose local Network. Last, if you haven't IIS or FTP server, you can choose store XML file in local PC and share it to other pc.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Allen_WangJF Thursday, September 10, 2015 9:10 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Tuesday, September 15, 2015 7:57 AM
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 9:09 AM
  • Thanks for the response. I have a follow up question now.

Our users are testing IE11 and when they find a compatibility issue with the default settings they've been adding the site to the compatibility view list from the tools menu.

I want to basically take those sites they know have a problem, but work in compat mode, and enter them into the Enterprise Mode Site List Manager as a specific entry for just that URL.

I've read that the Compat View List will set a site to be either IE7 doc mode, or IE5 doc mode based on what the page returns, is that correct?  I've seen some cases when the site will work when in the compatibility list, but it doesn't work when I've added it to the site list manager set as IE7 doc mode.

Just curious if there's an easy way to identify what mode to put the site in on the site list manager when it works in the compat list view settings option box during local testing?  Should I be using IE7 enterprise mode instead for those cases?

Friday, September 11, 2015 1:49 PM
  • Instead of using "Compatibility View", I recommend you allow your users to enable "Enterprise Mode" from the tools menu, or, instruct a few users on how to use F12 Dev tools to select/force a specific docmode.

Selecting a specific docmode is now considered the better approach, rather than just enabling EM. This is because enabling EM causes the older emulation binaries to be used, and some of those older emulations include some risky behaviours.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn872481.aspx

You can setup a "collector", so that when your testing people configure EM or a docmode, that data is sent to your server. You can use that collected data to build your EM sitelist XML file.

Don

Friday, September 11, 2015 10:54 PM
  • Hi David,

We are currently storing the file on a UNC path and users have read only access to the file. However, when we try to edit the XML file, I keep getting messages that the file is in use and we are not able to edit the file. The only way to do that is to Stop sharing, make changes and share again; though Everyone has been given only Read permissions. I am sure there should be a better way to manage the XML file.

Can someone please help with this?

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 12:14 AM