Keyboard problem RRS feed

• Question

• Keyboard on Windows vista home premium will not repeat a character for a couple of seconds and is making a tapping noise through the speakers. I just receantly had a internet connection problem and was told i had to change proxy servers to connect. Would this have any thing to do with the keyboard? Seems this all started happening when i messed with settings. Can you help?

Bob
    • Moved by Christine Fok Wednesday, June 24, 2009 4:36 AM Vista keyboard issue (From:Backup – Windows and Windows Server)
    Monday, June 15, 2009 8:04 PM

Answers

• Hi Bob,

Thank you for your posts.

Based on my research, I would like to suggest the following:

1.    Adjust Keyboard configuration:

Go to Control Panel - Hardware and Sound and click “Keyboard”; on Keyboard Properties window, go to “Speed” tab and adjust the “Character repeat” settings.

2.    Try reinstalling the keyboard driver:

1)     Click Start, right click on Computer and choose Properties.

2)     Click Device Manager.

3)     Navigate to the keyboard.

4)     Right click on it and choose “Uninstall”. If there is a check box “Delete the driver software for the device.” appeared, please also check it and then click OK.

5)     Reboot the computer to see if the driver will be reloaded and how the keyboard works then.

3.    If you have another keyboard, please also plug it to the computer and check if it works.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, June 29, 2009 6:54 AM

All replies

• It this wired or wireless? Ps2 or USB? I would try rebooting and check the keyboard is not being touched or connected to the right port.

Monday, June 22, 2009 4:31 PM
  • Hi Bob,

Thank you for your posts.

Based on my research, I would like to suggest the following:

1.    Adjust Keyboard configuration:

Go to Control Panel - Hardware and Sound and click “Keyboard”; on Keyboard Properties window, go to “Speed” tab and adjust the “Character repeat” settings.

2.    Try reinstalling the keyboard driver:

1)     Click Start, right click on Computer and choose Properties.

2)     Click Device Manager.

3)     Navigate to the keyboard.

4)     Right click on it and choose “Uninstall”. If there is a check box “Delete the driver software for the device.” appeared, please also check it and then click OK.

5)     Reboot the computer to see if the driver will be reloaded and how the keyboard works then.

3.    If you have another keyboard, please also plug it to the computer and check if it works.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, June 29, 2009 6:54 AM