Vista Ult 64: Partial restore from Complete PC Backup ?? RRS feed

• Question

• Before replacing all the drives in my system due to them failing I performed a complete PC Backup / image. Now, I'm beginning to restore the system but due to drive related issues I need to restore a piece at a time and by that I mean I need to be able to select which drive is being restored as the new drives become available in the system. So, I started with just restoring the system but I had a dual boot system with Vista Ult 64 on C and XP Pro 32 on F. These were two partitions on the same physical Raid 0 drive array. The Vista 64 restored but the XP did not. Sooo, how do I SAFELY restore XP from that same backup without altering Vista? Following that how do I safely restore the Data which existed on yet another drive? Using the restore tool from the Vista DVD I don't see those options.

Why are these tools so confusing to use?
    • Edited by tocguy001 Friday, January 8, 2010 3:38 AM typos
    Friday, January 8, 2010 3:36 AM

Answers

• Hello, Selecting individual volumes during recovery is not supported as all the critical volumes need to be recovered together otherwise the system may not boot. However for recovering data from your data volumes can be done from the online OS by mounting the corresponding .vhd file for that volume using diskpart. Thanks, Bikash Agrawala [MSFT] --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Monday, January 11, 2010 12:03 PM