none
Replace existing SCCM 2012 environment

Question

• Hi folks, 

Can anyone advise what the best way would be to replace an existing SCCM 2012 environment? We have it here but it's not been built properly (server applications running from the C: drive, for instance *shudders*) and I'd like to replace it with a fresh, correct installation. 

Has anyone done this before and can point me in the direction of the correct reference material? I'm aware from previous experience that installing another Primary Site in the same network with a MP on it (which we would need, realistically) will cause my existing clients to stop communicating with the current deployment, which I need to remain on top of software update provisioning, etc. 

Thanks,
    Lewis 

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 4:58 PM

All replies

• > "will cause my existing clients to stop communicating with the current deployment"

That's not correct and will not happen unless you force them to using a group policy or some other deliberate method like client push, a script or initiating a site switch using the control panel applet.

There's really nothing to be do special here. Don't use the same site code and don't include overlapping boundaries in site assignment boundary groups. That's it.

On a side note, I'm hoping that you will be using ConfigMgr CB, correct?

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 6:49 PM
  • Thanks. The site boundaries will be a problem as they will have to overlap and it was this that prompted the question in the first place... I'll need to manually force a pilot group across to the new environment to test it before I apply boundaries to the wider site. 

No, we will not be using CMCB, at least for the moment. I'm taking over the management of the existing estate as part of a fresh IT team that we have here and we just don't have the resources to enable anyone to go on the trainnig that would be required for it. 

Monday, April 9, 2018 10:54 AM
  • > "The site boundaries will be a problem as they will have to overlap"

First, don't confuse site assignment and service location boundary groups. Only boundaries specified within site assignment boundary groups cannot overlap.

Next, you don't actually need any boundaries specified for site assignment (aka within site assignment boundary groups) for normal ConfigMgr operations. The only thing that won't work without these is auto client push.

CB is close enough in most aspects to 2012 that there isn't a huge learning curve involved or training necessary. Not deploying CB now and instead deploying a 6 year old product would be a mistake.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Monday, April 9, 2018 3:04 PM