none
DPM2012 - Issue with Recovery Points not been purged RRS feed

• Question

• I have an issue at the moment where recovery points for my protection groups are mounting up. I have all protection groups set to retain data for no longer than 30days, however they are been kept for upwards of 100 days. This is affecting Disk Space and also my LDM database is reaching capacity due to having to extent replicas as a consequence of the old recovery points not been deleted every night. The purgeshadowcopies.ps1 command keeps returning errors when i run it. Example of error is below:

Get-DPMRecoveryPoint : Parameter set cannot be resolved using the specified
    named parameters.
    At C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center
    2012\DPM\DPM\bin\pruneshadowcopiesDpm2010.ps1:218 char:19
    +         $rplist = get-recoverypoint $ds | where { $_.DataLocation -eq 'Disk'
    }
    +                   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Get-DPMRecoveryPoint], Par
       ameterBindingException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : AmbiguousParameterSet,Microsoft.Internal.Enterpr
       iseStorage.Dls.UI.Cmdlet.RecoveryCmdLets.GetRecoveryPoint

Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding what i should do to resolve?

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 2:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Dan,

This is an issue in Update Rollup 7. Please see the following post for more information and solution:DPM UR7 re-released

Kind Regards
    Markus Eliasson

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 3:22 PM
  • Thanks Markus, I've installed the re-released Update Rollup 7. I no longer get any errors when I run the PruneShadowCopiesDPM2010.ps1, however it seems to just do nothing. It basically sits on the message:

"Warning: Connecting to DPM Server: DPM"

Am I missing something?

Regards,

Dan

Thursday, September 17, 2015 4:09 PM
  • Hi Dan,

I ran into this exact same issue as you explained.

I found another post that said to run $VerbosePreference = "Continue" first, then the PruneShadowCopiesDPM2010.ps1 script.

Then you get more info displaying when you run it.

The script can take a long time to execute as it goes through the protection groups, looks at the retention, etc.

Nick

Nick Kucharew

Thursday, October 1, 2015 1:42 PM