none
sci1-1.am.microsoft.com RRS feed

• Question

• can anyone tell me what this website is?

our company has used 600gb of data in 12 days as this is just chewing through everything. I hint that it could be an update site. though not 100% sure.

Saturday, February 13, 2016 1:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Tasks Manager will show you which processes are sending/receiving external traffic. Only MSFT will know the purpose and process of their domains. We do not work for nor represent MS.

It is the time of month when windows updates are pushed... my win7 machine was just updated manually with 370mb of updates(window and Office), so Total downloads (Gb)/no. of workstations should give you a similar figure.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Monday, February 15, 2016 1:58 AM
  • Unfortunately when ringing microsoft support i was informed that they have never heard of this domain. Therefore i am completely at a lost as too what to do. last night 40gb of downloads was used on a single computer. 

i have disabled windows updates through GPO. Have setup domain filtering for the site on the router and site proxy. yet still this website is coming through.

Currently i have had to disable internet throughout the site. As you can imagine this is a last resort but have had no choice.

Monday, February 15, 2016 10:08 PM
  • our school has been experiencing similar things. If a windows 10 computer is left logged on, after a while it begins downloading huge amounts of data (a couple of hundred gig over 2 days) from sci1-1.am.microsoft.com and other *.am.micrisoft.com domains.

Unfortunately troubleshooting from the client's computer is a little difficult as the student who is logged in has quite a lot of restrictions (can't access task manager, etc). 

I would be keen to work out what is going on. For the moment we have just blocked that subdomain.

Monday, February 15, 2016 10:58 PM
  • Thank goodness im not going crazy then haha. i know excatly what you mean, our student users are locked quite heavily so cant reoubleshoot too much on that end.

may i ask how you did block that subdomain?

Monday, February 15, 2016 11:43 PM
  • It's used by Windows Spotlight, the new dynamic lockscreen in Windows 10, here is an example image:
    https://sci1-1.am.microsoft.com/240066424703324053/image_fullscreen_001_landscape.jpg

It might be used for other things, but this is the use I'm interested in (I was looking at ways to store these images).

You can disable Windows Spotlight by going to the settings app > Personalization > Lock Screen > Background and choose something else from the drop down list :)

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 1:17 PM