none
Cannot join a domain with multiple DNS servers configured on client NIC RRS feed

• Question

• I am doing a migration in a network, users already joined the domain but they use proxy for internet.

The new setup includes removing the proxy, I give clients two DNS :The primary is the DC for local domain, and the secondry (8.8.8.8) for Internet.

The issue now is the client is not being able to join the domain.

when I remove the secondry (8.8.8.8), the client is able to join the domain but cannot reach internet.

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 11:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Ahmed Kamal Moustafa,

The situation you descripts is a common issue, although there's no convincing reason to explain it, while it generally behaves like this. When we configure both domain DNS and public DNS on client, although make domain DNS as preferred DNS, the client will contact public DNS first.

Generally, we will only configure domain DNS(DC) as preferred DNS on clients, then configure public DNS server as forwarder on domain DNS server. For example, client 192.168.2.1, DC 192.168.2.5, public DNS 8.8.8.8. On client, only configure 192.168.2.5 as DNS server; on DC, open DNS console, click forwarder, add 8.8.8.8 as forwarder; in this way, domain clients will not have DNS resolution issues and also can visit Internet.

Best Regards,

Anne 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 9, 2016 2:34 AM

All replies

• Hi Ahmed Kamal Moustafa,

The situation you descripts is a common issue, although there's no convincing reason to explain it, while it generally behaves like this. When we configure both domain DNS and public DNS on client, although make domain DNS as preferred DNS, the client will contact public DNS first.

Generally, we will only configure domain DNS(DC) as preferred DNS on clients, then configure public DNS server as forwarder on domain DNS server. For example, client 192.168.2.1, DC 192.168.2.5, public DNS 8.8.8.8. On client, only configure 192.168.2.5 as DNS server; on DC, open DNS console, click forwarder, add 8.8.8.8 as forwarder; in this way, domain clients will not have DNS resolution issues and also can visit Internet.

Best Regards,

Anne 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 9, 2016 2:34 AM
  • Hi Ahmed,

Your DNS servers are they configured with root hints? I would just use your two dns ip address for your clients. You can configure forwarders to use the 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 in DNS to lookup external dns names, look here to configure.

Rick

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 5:42 AM