none
ITIL and MS Server RRS feed

• Question

• I just wondered for companies with a large IT environment, I assuem you keep documentation about each of your servers/ If you follow ITIL, which part does documenting servers and configurations fall into, do you go as far as detailing what each local accounts purpose is? Do you have a sample documentation form per server on what level you go to to comply with ITIL?
    Monday, April 16, 2012 9:56 AM

Answers

• Documentation of servers hits most phases of the ITIL service delivery lifecycle.  To keep it simple, you want to document the business requirements that justify building the server, the technical design of the initial deployment, and any changes to that initial design.

ITIL does not define the degree to which you should document your servers, as it is just a framework.  The advice that it DOES give, however, is that you should only track details of the configuration to the degree to which you can successfully track AND audit them.  

Friday, August 3, 2012 9:17 PM
  • Just realized I didn't fully answer your question.  In regards to the documentation required for ITIL compliance, it's important to understand that there is no real "compliance" with ITIL because it is a framework, not a standard.  It has been designed so that entities can choose the pieces of it that are relevant to them and have a framework from which to build out their processes. 

Monday, August 6, 2012 2:15 PM
  • Hi CF090,

Omaha showed great points to you, and you can use MOF docs as reference: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17647

Cleber Marques

CleberMarques.com | MOF.com.br CanalSystemCenter.com.br SystemCenter.co

Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:08 PM

All replies

• Documentation of servers hits most phases of the ITIL service delivery lifecycle.  To keep it simple, you want to document the business requirements that justify building the server, the technical design of the initial deployment, and any changes to that initial design.

ITIL does not define the degree to which you should document your servers, as it is just a framework.  The advice that it DOES give, however, is that you should only track details of the configuration to the degree to which you can successfully track AND audit them.  

Friday, August 3, 2012 9:17 PM
  • Just realized I didn't fully answer your question.  In regards to the documentation required for ITIL compliance, it's important to understand that there is no real "compliance" with ITIL because it is a framework, not a standard.  It has been designed so that entities can choose the pieces of it that are relevant to them and have a framework from which to build out their processes. 

Monday, August 6, 2012 2:15 PM
  • Hi CF090,

Omaha showed great points to you, and you can use MOF docs as reference: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17647

Cleber Marques

CleberMarques.com | MOF.com.br CanalSystemCenter.com.br SystemCenter.co

Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:08 PM
  • I’m changing the status for this post as answered, if you need any help about MOF please open a new thread. J

Thank you,
    Saturday, November 24, 2012 9:42 AM