none
Join external meetings without open federation RRS feed

• Question

• Contoso does not have an open federation. They are using the Allow List to allow federation with some companies.
    _sipfederationtls._tcp.contoso.com is created.
    Public IM connectivity is enable.
    Scenarios:
    1. Contoso employee schedule a meeting with an external company (federated or not).
    2. Non-federated company (e.g. fabrikam.com) schedules a meeting with a Contoso employee
    3. Federated company (e.g. adatum.com) schedules a meeting with a Contoso employee

The results from my testing are the following:
    Scenario 1:
    Works
    Scenario 2:
    Does not work unless Contoso employees use Lync Web App and join the meeting as anonymous participant.
    Use Lync Web App is not straightforward. If you have a Lync client installed it will always try to start the meeting using the client. To force the user of Lync Web App, you need to edit the Lync meeting URL and include at the end “?SL=1” and then copy it to a browser.
    Scenario 3:
    Works

Any solution for 2nd scenario?
    My current thoughts:
    1. Open federation: Unfortunately not an option.
    2. Keep adding domains to federation list. It will be a try and error for the users. Not the best user experience.
    3. Train the users to use Lync Web App. Different ways to join meetings giving Contoso employees a disruptive user experience.

Any other suggestion will be appreciated.

I've checked https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/fbf6d7a4-58f2-45d7-a83d-dc1f6222d280/join-meeting-of-non-federated-domains?forum=lyncconferencing but I don't think it applies to this issue

Thanks in advance.

ALN

Thursday, October 16, 2014 10:43 AM

Answers

• After lots of test, the conclusion: There are firewall ports that were not open.

Both Lync Client 2010/2013 and Lync Web App works fine.

Thanks for the replies.

ALN

• Marked as answer by AL.Nunes Monday, October 27, 2014 4:31 PM
    Monday, October 27, 2014 4:30 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately Lync Web app is the only solution at this point in time  

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer" Regards Edwin Anthony Joseph

• Proposed as answer by Edwin Anthony Joseph Thursday, October 16, 2014 11:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Eason HuangModerator Monday, October 27, 2014 8:28 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by AL.Nunes Monday, October 27, 2014 4:27 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by AL.Nunes Monday, October 27, 2014 4:27 PM
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 11:26 AM

• Appending ?sl= by hand to the Lync meeting URL is a known workaround on a Windows machine installed with a full version of Lync 201x Client.

Although no longer exposed in the Lync Server 2013 Control Panel / Security / Web Service, you can try to turn on/off the ShowAlternateJoinOptionsExpanded parameter through Set-CsWebServiceConfiguration cmdlet and see if this helps with your situation.

Thanks / rgds,

TechNet/MSDN Forum Moderator - http://www.leedesmond.com

Thursday, October 16, 2014 12:29 PM

• Appending ?sl= by hand to the Lync meeting URL is a known workaround on a Windows machine installed with a full version of Lync 201x Client.

Although no longer exposed in the Lync Server 2013 Control Panel / Security / Web Service, you can try to turn on/off the ShowAlternateJoinOptionsExpanded parameter through Set-CsWebServiceConfiguration cmdlet and see if this helps with your situation.

Thanks / rgds,

TechNet/MSDN Forum Moderator - http://www.leedesmond.com

Thanks for the replies:

I have already test change the WebServiceConfiguration and specially the ShowAlternateJoinOptionsExpanded but it has been deprecated for use with the on-premises version of Lync Server 2013. 

Thanks,

ALN

Thursday, October 16, 2014 12:54 PM
  • Aln,
    Are you certain? According to Lync TechNet Library:

Configuring the meeting join page in Lync Server 2013

these options continue to exist per communicated but only configurable via PowerShell cmdlets. Whether this works for your environment or not needs to be tested and verified though.

Thanks for the feedback!

Thursday, October 16, 2014 1:45 PM
  • Hi,

Base on my knowledge, the situation of scenario 2 seems to be normally and correctly. To join a Meeting which hosted by un-federated users, you need to join by Lync Web App, and I think it is the best way to join Lync meeting from un-federated users.

Best Regards,

Eason Huang 

Eason Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Sunday, October 19, 2014 8:51 AM
  • After lots of test, the conclusion: There are firewall ports that were not open.

Both Lync Client 2010/2013 and Lync Web App works fine.

Thanks for the replies.

ALN

• Marked as answer by AL.Nunes Monday, October 27, 2014 4:31 PM
    Monday, October 27, 2014 4:30 PM