none
Microsoft Virtual Machine Manager 2007 on Windows 2003 Std Edi x64

Question

•  

Hi,

i have 64bit architecute hardware based on AMD, installed x64 bit windows 2003 server std with SP2 on the server.

now i want to deploy only VMM administrator console to manage exsiting VM on different host machines with Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2.

My question is can we install and use on VMM adminstrator console to manage the VMs. or v have to install VMM server too. as with this existing hardware i cannot install VMM server. i just want to use the feature of System Center 2007 VMM administrator console so that i have clear picture of my all VM on centralised location.

Note: i have successfully installed VMM administrator console 2008 and local agent. But when i run the application it gives me error like this:

"unable to connect to the virtual machine manager server localhost, the virtual machine manager service on that server did not respond"

I cannot find any service named virtual machine mananger service.

Please help / suggest ....

Thanks.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 10:32 AM

Answers

All replies

• You have to install the server and point your administrator console to the server.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 5:43 PM
  • Hi Irfan,

The VMM Server will need to be installed on your server.

The Administrator Console should be installed on any machine that you want to manage the server from.  You do not have to have the Console installed with the Server, so if you want to administer it from an XP workstation then just install the Console.  Similarly you do not need to install the Console on the Server if you do not plan on using it there.  Although it is handy when you are working on the server to have the console there and ready to go.

-matt
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 6:23 PM