none
Importing Same Profile on Multiple PC's

Question

•  

I have just learnt the hard way that when you import an exported profile it actually replaces the one you are importing over(if they are the same name), and consequently drags you back to when you create a new account in control panel for the first time, no local password. network passwords, no printers etc, so not worth the effort. What is the point of exporting user settings if you can't choose network settings and passwords to go with it too ? 

It also decides that in the recently used programs list that it should add the Outlook shortcut like windows XP does for all new accounts created right under IE6, I don't want this here and now have to go back into steady state, allow right click in start menu and then remove it from the list and then diable right click again, very big waste of time. The box I exported off did not have an outlook settings here, but was installed in the the PC. Why?

More Questions

1. How do I use the import profile feature without losing all this other setup information I have stored in each user?  Can this be done

2. How do I update the settinsg of a profile either increase or decrease security and not drag my self back to square one?

Why bother importing on a box that has all the user s settings redy to go? You are better off just going inot each priofile in steady state and clicking on each of the boxes  for settings it seems.

It seems importing is only good if noone has ever used the PC. What other way is there to not lose these settings for PC's that have been uased for a while.

Rob

Thursday, September 13, 2007 8:41 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Rob,

Please understand that the export/import feature only transfer restrictions configured from SteadyState. All the other configurations such as Desktop items, Start menu items, passwords etc. will not be exported. This is a by design behavior. You can open  the SSU files which were created by the Export feature. Only registry restrictions were included. FYI, If you would like to transfer the Desktop icons and other user files, you can run Files and Settings Transfer Wizard from Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools.

If there is already a user profile with the same user name on the computer to which you would like to import. The profile settings of the original user will be overwritten by the imported profile. This is also an expected behavior.

I understand the inconvenient you have encountered. I will report this issue to our product team to check if the configurations of the original users can be kept. Thank you for bring this to our attention.

Regards,

Friday, September 14, 2007 9:00 AM
  • Thanks for that Shawn,

I was thinking that would end up being the case re through GPO's.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 3:04 PM

All replies

• Thanks for the FYI, I was about to test the import/export feature.  Lets see what MS says. Smile

Thursday, September 13, 2007 2:23 PM
  •  

Also,  I have 4 different user accounts on 36 lab PC's and all the desktops shortcuts that I custom designed for each user and thought would be included in the export process were deleted. The import process on a test box left me with a blank desktop for each user except for the recycle bin. Before importing however it had all the shortcuits I wanted.

Why can't desktop settings be exported with the other Steady State settings?

Thursday, September 13, 2007 11:46 PM
  • Don't know if this will help, but I cloned all my computer which of course they are all the same. First thing I must do is run new SID to change the ID so they don't look the same for MS validation. After using the new SID I always just erase the public profile and make a new one on each computer. This is the only way I can be sure that the public profile will run and not give me any problems down the road.

You must go to each box and reset anything your working on. Unless you clone, then of course you are back to square one. Hope that helped

Rico

Friday, September 14, 2007 12:28 AM
  •  

Hi Rob,

Please understand that the export/import feature only transfer restrictions configured from SteadyState. All the other configurations such as Desktop items, Start menu items, passwords etc. will not be exported. This is a by design behavior. You can open  the SSU files which were created by the Export feature. Only registry restrictions were included. FYI, If you would like to transfer the Desktop icons and other user files, you can run Files and Settings Transfer Wizard from Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools.

If there is already a user profile with the same user name on the computer to which you would like to import. The profile settings of the original user will be overwritten by the imported profile. This is also an expected behavior.

I understand the inconvenient you have encountered. I will report this issue to our product team to check if the configurations of the original users can be kept. Thank you for bring this to our attention.

Regards,

Friday, September 14, 2007 9:00 AM
  • Thanks for that but it seems that steady state has only been designed to be installed on a brand new box, before any users have started using it. Also this affect all office programs as after you import the user the PC (Win XP SP2) treats it like a first time user and when you open office it starts looking for the user information (expected and standard behaviour when you open any office program for the first time) and asks you for support options, in my environment a PC Lab full of 3yr - 18yr olds just creates a level of confusion that they don't need to see and takes away valuable lesson time from learning to use the software. To avoid this it becomes another tick box in my checklist plus the set up hours for all the accounts.

Steady State needs to be designed for a first time user basis (as it is now) and then secondly to be implemented over the top of a existing user, importing only settings you define, not a blanket like it or lump it import as is the current behaviour.

The issue of updating multiple profiles is still a problem for me. i.e I have the same profile on a minimum of 36 PC's and lets say for arguments sake that when I first imported user "Profile A" they had no access to printers and faxes (the setting doesn't really matter here), but after setting this up and letting them use that profile for 1-2 months it becomes apparent that i need to enable access to this setting I have taken away.

I cannot use the import profile function of this which is the easiest option as it will replace the profile in use and take it back to square one. Please address this scenario as well as security levels do change with users that is a fact hopefully the less the better though.

Thanks,

Rob

Saturday, September 15, 2007 6:14 AM
  • Hi Rob,

Unfortunately, there is no central management program for SteadyState. I recommend performing a test on some computers before deploying it to all your computers. You can collect customers’ feedback and then makes sure which restrictions will be enabled. Otherwise, you may have to update the restrictions on each computer manually.

In addition, if your computers work in a  domain environment, we recommend deploying restrictions through group policy instead of SteadyState. It can be centrally managed easily.

Best Regards,

Monday, September 17, 2007 7:31 AM
  • Thanks for that Shawn,

I was thinking that would end up being the case re through GPO's.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 3:04 PM
  • I imported a profile to a new computer - and discovered that only the restrictions were imported.  Since the new profile won't let me remove restrictions to customize it, can I just go into the control panel and delete the user?  Then I can start the profile from scratch.

Sunday, February 10, 2008 7:13 PM