Using Visio 2010 for ERD design RRS feed

• Question

• For the special case of a many-to-many relationship, how does one modify the connector to represent this relationship while using the Crowfeet notation at the same time?
    Monday, January 11, 2010 7:54 PM

Answers

• The Relationship shape is modified by changing the line format associated with the shape.  However, it also has a Style assigned to it which you need to remove.  This could be done with a right click to the shape in Visio 2007.

In Visio 2010 the Styles have been deprecated and are not on any of the toolbars or right click options.  Here is what I did:
    1. Choose File > Options > Quick Access Toolbar  (You could also customize a ribbon for this.)
    2. From the drop down choose Commands Not in the Ribbon
    3. Scroll down and select Style.   (Do not choose Style... as this displays a dialog.
    4. Choose Add to add the Style option drop down to the Quick Access toolbar.

Now you have the ability to remove the style from the Relationship shape.

To change the Relationship shape:
    1. Select the shape
    2. From the Quick Access Toolbar select the Style drop down and choose No Style
    3. Right click the Relationship shape and choose Format Line
    4. Set the line begin and line end to the desired format

It took me a while to figure this out.
    • Marked as answer by Fred Diggs Tuesday, March 23, 2010 6:57 PM
    Friday, January 15, 2010 12:04 AM

All replies

• The Relationship shape is modified by changing the line format associated with the shape.  However, it also has a Style assigned to it which you need to remove.  This could be done with a right click to the shape in Visio 2007.

In Visio 2010 the Styles have been deprecated and are not on any of the toolbars or right click options.  Here is what I did:
    1. Choose File > Options > Quick Access Toolbar  (You could also customize a ribbon for this.)
    2. From the drop down choose Commands Not in the Ribbon
    3. Scroll down and select Style.   (Do not choose Style... as this displays a dialog.
    4. Choose Add to add the Style option drop down to the Quick Access toolbar.

Now you have the ability to remove the style from the Relationship shape.

To change the Relationship shape:
    1. Select the shape
    2. From the Quick Access Toolbar select the Style drop down and choose No Style
    3. Right click the Relationship shape and choose Format Line
    4. Set the line begin and line end to the desired format

It took me a while to figure this out.
    • Marked as answer by Fred Diggs Tuesday, March 23, 2010 6:57 PM
    Friday, January 15, 2010 12:04 AM
  • Hello Fred,

just wanted to thank you for your reply.

Many thanks.

Monday, January 31, 2011 2:14 PM
  • Thank you very much for this reply, it worked great.  Now to figure out how to add that shape to Visio permanently so I don't have to remake it every time!
    Friday, April 29, 2011 6:06 AM
  • Awesome. Saved my day, after scratching my head for an hour.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 8:22 PM
  • Hi Fred,

I know that styles have gone away after Visio 2007 in favor of themes, but is it possible to create new styles and edit styles in Visio 2010? The reason I'm asking is that I'm generating ERDs and drawing everything by hand. The header "box" is a specific color, the body "box" is a different color and when I apply Themes, it changes EVERY shape. I'm sort of doing a workaround by applying a theme to the header boxes and using "don't apply theme" to the body boxes (and manually changing the fill color).

A bit of background: I was sent an original file from someone using Visio 2003 so I can "see" their styles (when I turn on Developer Mode in Options) as they have been applied, BUT, I can't edit or create new ones in Visio 2010.

Any suggestions or workarounds? Thanks in advance!

~Michael W.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 11:29 PM
  • Since Microsoft has depricated styles in 2010, I can't recommend that you try to continue to use them.  But if you want to give it a shot, you should be able to turn on the features under Files > Options, similar to what I described in my original post.

Alternatively, you can design your shapes so that you control the colors and they are not affected by themes by protecting the shapes against the application of a theme.  To do this:

1. Select the shape

2. In the Developer tab choose Protection

3. Check From theme colors and From theme effects. 

Once you do this, the application of a theme should have no effect on your shape.

Fred

Friday, January 20, 2012 5:24 PM
  • Thanks Fred!

I was considering using another tool! =(

Friday, June 15, 2012 9:38 PM
  • many many many thanks, I can't express how I appreiated this, it drove me crazy already, I literally tried every method, but just can't change the shape of the crow foot.....thanks!!!!
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 8:22 PM
  • Awesome instructions, Fred!  Thanks a ton.
    Monday, October 1, 2012 8:53 PM
  • Thank you so much,

It would seem that all programs these days are becoming aimed less and less at professionals and with their deprication of a huge number of professional features in the 2013 office suite, it looks like things are only getting worse. Kudos to guys like you for keeping us sane and shame on Microsoft for leaving multi-thousand pound/dollar customers in the dark.

Samuel Bancroft

Sunday, December 2, 2012 4:43 PM
  • Thanks for your detailed reply.

Isn't there no simple way to draw ERDs and easily set relations' multiplicity levels by a simple right-click on the connection?

It requires so many clicks per relation, it's extremely time-consuming for complex commercial ERDs with many entities and relations...

Very disappointing for Visio Pro 2010 (unless I'm missing something).

Does this improveme in Visio 2013 Pro?

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 10:10 AM
  • I now added a 'Binary Association' to my ERD in Visio 2010, and voila, just click on it and there's a drop-down list for the two-ends' multiplicity levels...

The downside - no multiplicity symbols on the connection ends, it just writes "1" or "0..*".

Any trick to get that too?

• Edited by Tall Guy2 Wednesday, January 30, 2013 10:29 AM
    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 10:21 AM
  • I can't believe the hoops we have to go through with M$ making some things easier and the easier things more difficult...  What a PITA this has been.

Monday, January 20, 2014 4:14 PM