connect a Windows XP computer to a Windows 10 computer RRS feed

• Question

• i need to know if it's possible to connect a Windows XP computer to a Windows 10 computer and share files/folders/printers. Currently we can connect XP to Win 7 and Win 7 to Win 10. thanks for any assistance.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2015 1:16 PM

Answers

• thanks to everyone who viewed and attempted to assist. the system administrator had not run windows update on this computer in some time and an update fixed the problem. i knew that this had to be something simple, and really do not appreciate Microsoft support telling me "we don't support Windows XP anymore too bad" ... whoever is contracted to answer their phones now should be fired.
    • Proposed as answer by Deason Wu Monday, September 28, 2015 2:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Thursday, October 1, 2015 1:35 AM
    Wednesday, September 23, 2015 2:53 PM

All replies

• It is possible to connect XP to win 10 computers and share.  You may/will have to create either a homegroup or workgroup.

Care to tell us more?

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 1:29 PM
  • we have the computers in the same work group. the xp user id and password is setup on the Win 10 computer as a user. we have disabled all firewalls - public and private - on this Win 10 computer. the Win XP is denied access to the folders shared and can not execute or even see a required program on the Win 10 computer.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2015 1:40 PM
  • How do you access the win 10 computer from xp?   Are you using the entire unc path (ie \\win10computer\user\passord)

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 1:55 PM
  • no.

we have both computers in the same workgroup. the win 10 computer can 'see' everything on the winXP computer using the win10 equivalent of 'view network computers' and double clicking through that link to access everything. 

the winxp computer recognizes the win10 computer on the workgroup, but can not 'see' anything on it such as a printer or hard drive. we have tried using the 'net use' command to map the hard drive of the win 10 computer to the win xp computer in the format of : net use F: \\ipaddress\c ... where c is the name of the shared drive letter.

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 2:05 PM
  • Is the name of workgroup WORKGROUP ? Just I have been on another thread with a user having share issues on Windows 10 and have a workgroup with a different name and that seemed to be the issue on that one.

• Edited by -Mr Happy- Tuesday, September 22, 2015 11:32 PM correction
    Tuesday, September 22, 2015 11:31 PM
  • thanks to everyone who viewed and attempted to assist. the system administrator had not run windows update on this computer in some time and an update fixed the problem. i knew that this had to be something simple, and really do not appreciate Microsoft support telling me "we don't support Windows XP anymore too bad" ... whoever is contracted to answer their phones now should be fired.
    • Proposed as answer by Deason Wu Monday, September 28, 2015 2:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Thursday, October 1, 2015 1:35 AM
    Wednesday, September 23, 2015 2:53 PM
  • I got the same response and I agree.  I had to reinstall W10 on my desktop machine and then it couldn't see my wife's W10 laptop.  So I fiddled around with network discovery, sharing and other stuff I can't remember on her machine.  After I got our two W10 machines communicating, I discovered that my old XP laptop could send/receive with my wife's W10 laptop.  But I can't seem to discover/remember what I did, so my XP laptop still cannot send/receive files to my W10 desktop computer.  But my desktop PC can send/receive files to the XP laptop.  There is still some network setting I need to rediscover to get this working.  But, XP and W10 CAN communicate somehow or other.  I just wish I could remember how I did it.
    Tuesday, June 13, 2017 11:36 PM
  • I have had similar problems and like Rich920215 I really <really> wish I could remember how I got my treasured old Sony Vista desktop talking to a whole set of Win 7/Win8/Win10 machines over the years.  Certainly, I have no "Homegroup", all machines have been talking to other machines in the original Vista "Workgroup".  Everything can normally see all shared folders in everything else.    I found the trick to this somewhere on the net and it was not at all difficult.  I wish had printed it out, I'm afraid I have Alzheimer's now and just can't recall the answer.  

However, since a power outage the other day, just one of the Win 10 laptops is no longer visible on the Win 98 machine, though it works the other way !  Typically, this is the most vital aspect of my daily computing as I need to send emails from the Vista machine, after importing files into them as text from the Win 10 machine.  I manage by using File Explorer to copy the relevant files from the Win10 source into a public folder on the Vista machine before importing them into the Vista emails, but this is not ideal...

I am sure there are more Vista and even Win98 users out here than is thought.  So long as a computer does the job you want it to and that job has no security implications, NOTHING has to be upgraded, software or hardware.  Not all jobs require the internet and all its dangers and marketing ploys, do they ?  How do the bean counters count computers in use if those computers don't access the internet ?   I plan to use my Sony Vista machine as long as I possibly can, it cost a lot of money and the screen is perfect for editing photographs and I do a lot of that, every day.    Of course, some older task-orientated machines are now being abandoned in favour of simpler machines like the popular and cheap Raspberry Pis and with good reason.  

Caravelle

CaravelleMike

Sunday, June 25, 2017 2:44 PM