none
Installation Extremely Slow - Hangs during Expanding Windows Files

Pregunta

• I'm trying to get 7 to install and I'm having a bear of a time.  It has taken a tremendously long time to cycle through the steps and after a little more than an hour, it was only at 6% of Expanding Windows Files.

I've taken a stick of RAM out bringing me down to 2gb, have tried three burns (one at the slowest speed and verified), neither has helped.  Please help.

My system specs:
    5400+ Black Edition (non-OCed)
    Abit AN52 Motherboard (nForce 520)
    OCZ PC-6400 4gb (2gb during install)
    XfX Geforce 8800GT
    Western Digital Raptor x2
    miércoles, 13 de mayo de 2009 2:52

Respuestas

• I was having the same issue as the original above... "Windows 7 64-bit would hang at 0% when expanding Windows files"

I originally was getting the 0xc00000e9 error when Windows 7 64-bit was trying to load the installer, which lead me down the path of burning at a lower speed.  That worked!

After reading all of the other user's helpful tips, my issue was resolved by simply ejecting the DVD while it was stuck at 0%.  It prompted to retry the disc, so I popped it back in and it screamed through the install.  I couldn't believe it was that simple, but nothing to do with removing RAM or USB devices.  Hope this helps someone else! :)
    miércoles, 28 de octubre de 2009 14:46
  • I've also solved this problem on my ASUS based system by disabling "Legacy Floppy Drive Support" in the BIOS. 64-bit then installed in about 20 or so minutes.
    miércoles, 28 de octubre de 2009 18:26
  • I had the same issue trying to install Vista and Win 7. Tried everything in all of the forums that I checked. Nothing. I finally disabled Intel SpeedStep in my bios and Win 7 installed like clock-work. This is some type of energy saving something for the cpu. I think AMD calls it hyper transport. Try disabling it for the install. Hope this works for you.
    miércoles, 06 de enero de 2010 20:46
  • Guys, I did it!! I've managed to install windows 7 64bits on my PC. Here's what I did: there are two options in the BIOS Setup called K8 <-> KN HT Speed and K8 <-> KN HT Width both as Auto . The thing is: I've heard that maybe the problem was related to HyperTransport . So I've put K8 <-> KN HT Speed to 1x and K8 <-> KN HT Width to 8 8 .

It worked as a charm. It's installed in roughly 30 minutes and not once the LG DVD-RAM stopped reading. Of course, after the installation completed I've changed both options to Auto again. Without changing them back, Windows 7 would freeze everytime I tried to access my HDDs.

Report back if this works.

My specs:
    A64x2 4200+
    Abit AN52 (nforce 520) flashed to rev.16
    Corsair 2GB 800MHz
    Radeon HD 4670
    Maxtor IDE 40GB (Windows 7 here)
    Seagate SATA 200GB
    LG DVD-RW sata
    Realtek Ethernet adapter
    D-Link DWL-G510 Wireless adapter
    SB Audigy SE
    viernes, 15 de mayo de 2009 14:46
  • I burnt a copy onto a Memorex DVD+R and it got stuck at 1%.  Burnt a 2nd copy onto a Memorex DVD+R DL and it worked like a charm.  It only took a few minutes to expand windows files.  I guess dual layer is key for some reason.
    sábado, 03 de octubre de 2009 23:59
  • I've been having the same issue as far as the hanging.  I have 2 nearly identical PC's.
    Mobo: Biostar TA790GX A2+
    CPU:  AMD Phenom Black Edition 9850
    Ram:  Corsair Dominator 3x1 GB system Ram
    DVD:  Samsung OEM Super Writer drive
    HDD:  both have old Maxtor drives i had lying around.

One of the machines installed with no problems.  My main workstation installed fine as well (Asus M3N72-D, Phenom II 9850 Black, 4 GB Ram).  I let the other one sit over night and it was still sitting at 0% this morning.

After returning home from work and looking at the various results here I decided to start going through some of the less time consuming walk-throughs.  First focusing on the media. The original burned ISO's using the win7 iso burning tool with Memorex DVD+R.  Even when I started with that media I had to burn 4-5 copies before I got 2 discs to even be recognized at startup.  The Memorex ones worked on 2 machines, but even the exact disc I used for those 2 would not work in the other one.  So I found another stack I have of disc (verbatim I believe, they are the type with inkjet tops and no identifier) and burned that one with nero(verifying data) instead of the win 7 burning tool.  I replaced the disc and voila, installed just fine.

Long story short, I would highly recommend trying different disc media before you start messing with bios settings and/or other things that could potentially damage your PC.  ;)  If your friend has different media, both of you swap some discs, see if that takes care of it.  Hope this helps someone!

-Chip
    sábado, 24 de octubre de 2009 4:02
  • I encountered this same problem, where it took nearly an hour to get to the 1% mark during install.  I tried disabling the floppy drive, and also changed the HyperTransport settings as suggested, but that did not solve my problem.  I ended up swapping DVD drives and, after a few minutes at 0%, if flew right through.  So, if all else fails I would suggest using a different drive if available to help get it installed.
    domingo, 20 de diciembre de 2009 0:07
  • This also worked for me: first was booting with an iso-image on a dc-r. Didn't work: 0xc00000e9 error. Then burned the image on a dvd-rw.... worked, go figure.
    martes, 12 de enero de 2010 14:18
  • SOLVED! Was trying to install Win 7 pro from XP. Each time, the installation hung at expanding files at 27%. Tried installing directly from HDD, another DVD drive etc but same problem. The thing that worked for me was disabling webroot spyware and antivirus. The installation flew in no time! :-)
    jueves, 18 de febrero de 2010 22:50

Todas las respuestas

• Hi

Slow installs are known issues. The problem is that there is no information on exactly why they are slow. The longest I have seen was 16 hours with a Beta Build 7000 clean install. After the install completed, the system was perfectly solid for 3 months until the RC was released.

The RC installed on that same system in under 30 minutes?

There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason for this.

Best advice I can give is to just let it run.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    miércoles, 13 de mayo de 2009 4:01
    Moderador
  • I appreciate the suggestion, but perhaps we can brainstorm this a little further.  I'm not convinced that this is a 7 issue because I couldn't even get to the language selection screen in Vista last night, either.  I really need to isolate the issue.  Here's the order of the occurrences as pertaining to Windows 7 installation:

Boot from CD;
    Wait 7-9 minutes to choose language;
    Wait 1-3 minutes to choose install;
    Wait 1-3 minutes for Windows to 'setup;'
    Partition/Format discs;
    Copying Windows Files finished in seconds;
    Expanding Windows Files hangs/lags (last night it took an hour to get to 5%)

Here is what I have done to try to rectify the problem:

Removed 2gbs of RAM;
    Reburned the ISO at the slowest speed;
    Flashed BIOS;
    Removed second harddrive

I hope someone has experienced this problem and has a solution.

System Specs:
    AMD 5400+ Black Edition (non-OCed)
    XfX Geforce 8800GT Alpha Dog Edition
    miércoles, 13 de mayo de 2009 14:08
  • Hi

Like I said this has been seen on many, many different systems.

Your correct in that it doesn't seem to be a specific Windows 7 issue, on the other hand, we haven't been able to isolate the problem with any particular hardware or driver setup either. A couple of reports were resolved when a failing hardware device was found.

Your system setup doesn't appear to be unique to other systems that have experienced this problem.

Go to the top of this page and type "slow"  "install" (with the quotes) in the Forums Search Box to see the threads associated with this issue.

You can scan those threads for all of the current information we have available.

Regards,

Ronnie Vernon MVP

miércoles, 13 de mayo de 2009 14:32
    Moderador
  • Hi,
    I am using Windows 7 RC1 x64

My first install with the new RC1 did exactly as you said. I tried all sorts of different ways to resolve this, I had been using Ver 7000.
    Did you check the ISO you downloaded?
    How did you burn it to disc?
    Did you check and verify the final disc?

My problem was the make of disc that I used! TDK DVD-RW , I burned a new copy using Nero 6 onto a Philips DVD-RW that I had been using for the Beta7000.
    The TDK disc is now completely unusable!! this was a brand new out of a sealed packet bought at a Major high street store. I then had Nero Verify the disc for errors, l did check my first disc which passed ok!!
    Viola RC1 installed straight away with no pauses.
    It was by a process of elimination, the 32bit copy installed ok, 64bit paused repeatedly at 6%.

My system specs are
    Msi K8N Neo4
    Amd 4400x2
    4Gb Kingston Value ram
    1x Sata2 Hard drive Seagate ST3500320AS and 2x Hitachi 80Gb Sata2 Hard drives configured as raid 0
    Sata Tsst corp Dvd Rom (these four drives are attached to the Nvidia Sata2 ports)
    Sata Liteon Dvd Writer (this one sits on the Silicon image port Sata1)
    Ecs 8800gts 320Mb pci express
    Windows xp x64pro
    miércoles, 13 de mayo de 2009 19:35
  • I ended up downloading the RC again and burned it (again) at the slowest speed (2.4x).  However, to no avail, I still have the slow load times.  I began the installation today at 10:10a CST, it is now 6:20p CST and 'Expanding Windows Files' is at 77%.  I'm taking Ronnie's suggestion and just letting it run.

There have been a few times where it idles for a considerably long time; during those periods, I open and close the CD tray to cycle the disc again.  I had read that a few other people who shared my issue had done that and it seemed to work out and be ok.

I'm really hoping that this installation works.  I'd hate to see a 10+ hour install result in a software issue somewhere along the lines, though, with my luck, it's be par for the course.

System Specs:
    AMD 5400+ Black Edition (non-OCed)
    XfX Geforce 8800GT Alpha Dog Edition
    LG DVD-Burner
    miércoles, 13 de mayo de 2009 23:26
  • Hi

Be sure and let us know how this works out for you.

Regards,

Ronnie Vernon MVP

miércoles, 13 de mayo de 2009 23:34
    Moderador
  • If I make a fresh install in my HDD in another PC, will I have any problems? Because I'm having this same issue. I've been told that issue also exists with Vista 64. But I don't have any to test. I actually started thinking this was a nForce issue, but a friend of mine managed to install Vista 64 on his PC perfectly. Maybe the problem is the sata dvd drive?

My specs:
    A64x2 4200+
    Abit AN52 (nforce 520)
    Corsair 2GB 800MHz
    Radeon HD 4670
    Maxtor IDE 40GB
    LG DVD-RW sata
    Realtek Ethernet adapter
    SB Audigy SE
    jueves, 14 de mayo de 2009 13:03
  • After 11 hours, my installation hung at 95% during Expanding Windows Files.

Needless to say, I'm pretty bummed, and have no idea what is holding my system back.  I tried installing Vista 32 and after 10 minutes was still not at the select language screen....  So, back to XP, which loaded in record time!

I am also beginning to wonder if it's the SATA DVD, but it's brand new (like out of the box, had to buy it cause my other one was dead, brand new).  I imagine that it could be a faulty drive, but it loaded up XP without an issue.  I have noticed, however, that it doesn't spin up audibly when a DVD is put into the drive; and upon checking just this minute, it took a while for it to recognize the 7 disc while typing this message.  This is now making me wonder if DVD recognition is not running as intended from the drive considering Vista and 7 had issues.

However, I would love to get some other thoughts to what possibilities might exist.  Rather than posting vague system info, here are the specifics:

AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 5400+ Black Edition (non-OCed)
    Abit AN52 nForce 520 Motherboard (most recent BIOS installed (06/08))
    OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 (PC2 6400)
    Western Digital WD360GD 36gb Raptor (Main drive)
    Western Digital WD740ADFD 74gb Raptor (Storage drive)
    LG GH22NS30 DVD-RAM Drive
    XfX GeForce 8800GT Alpha Dog Edition
    viernes, 15 de mayo de 2009 0:49
  • By the way, what is Riplock and how can I check to see if this LG drive has it?  Then, further, could it be an issue and can it be disabled?
    viernes, 15 de mayo de 2009 1:14
  • Hate to keep hammering this thread, but it turns out the LG drive has something called Silent Play which can be toggled in the bundled software (yay OEM!).  So, I'ma try to get my hands on said software and see if it makes a difference.
    viernes, 15 de mayo de 2009 1:41
  • Still no luck and starting to draw a blank.

Just for other users information and troubleshooting ideas, here is a list of everything I've done to try to expediate my installation:

1)  Removed 2gbs of RAM;
    2)  Redownloaded the ISO;
    3)  Reburned the ISO at the slowest speed;
    4)  Flashed BIOS;
    5)  Removed second harddrive;
    6)  Disabled IDE and FDD controller in BIOS (this apparently worked for some people);
    7)  Moved HD to SATA 2 from SATA 1 (be warned, doing this made the existing OS on that drive undetectable at startup for some reason, something I was not expecting);
    8)  Flashed LG GH22NS30 DVD-RAM firmware;
    9)  Disabled Silent Play on the LG GH22NS30 DVD-RAM drive

Please keep in mind that I am having the SAME delay issues with Vista 32.  I've said it before, but I think opening the issue to multiple OSs will help us identify a potential issue.

Specs:
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 5400+ Black Edition (non-OCed)
    Abit AN52 nForce 520 Motherboard (most recent BIOS installed (06/08))
    OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 (PC2 6400)
    Western Digital WD360GD 36gb Raptor (Main drive)
    Western Digital WD740ADFD 74gb Raptor (Storage drive)
    LG GH22NS30 DVD-RAM Drive
    XfX GeForce 8800GT Alpha Dog Edition
    viernes, 15 de mayo de 2009 13:07
  • Guys, I did it!! I've managed to install windows 7 64bits on my PC. Here's what I did: there are two options in the BIOS Setup called K8 <-> KN HT Speed and K8 <-> KN HT Width both as Auto . The thing is: I've heard that maybe the problem was related to HyperTransport . So I've put K8 <-> KN HT Speed to 1x and K8 <-> KN HT Width to 8 8 .

It worked as a charm. It's installed in roughly 30 minutes and not once the LG DVD-RAM stopped reading. Of course, after the installation completed I've changed both options to Auto again. Without changing them back, Windows 7 would freeze everytime I tried to access my HDDs.

Report back if this works.

My specs:
    A64x2 4200+
    Abit AN52 (nforce 520) flashed to rev.16
    Corsair 2GB 800MHz
    Radeon HD 4670
    Maxtor IDE 40GB (Windows 7 here)
    Seagate SATA 200GB
    LG DVD-RW sata
    Realtek Ethernet adapter
    D-Link DWL-G510 Wireless adapter
    SB Audigy SE
    viernes, 15 de mayo de 2009 14:46
  • Hi...

do you know if this solution works for intel based motherboards? I'm installing Windows 7 7600 and it is taking almost two hours to install, right now "expanding windows files is at 72%" I'm using a Gigabyte Motherboard GA-965G-DS3 Rev.1 Core2Duo 6400, and 2GB of RAM. I know that the installation disk isn´t the problem because i used it to install on other computers..

Regards!
    lunes, 24 de agosto de 2009 3:38
  • I burnt a copy onto a Memorex DVD+R and it got stuck at 1%.  Burnt a 2nd copy onto a Memorex DVD+R DL and it worked like a charm.  It only took a few minutes to expand windows files.  I guess dual layer is key for some reason.
    sábado, 03 de octubre de 2009 23:59
  • After banging my head for a day I have successfully installed Windows 7 32 bit.  My fix was the same as Aragnes there is something in the HyperTransport  that is causing the issue I set my HT speed to 1x and the HT width to 8 and it installed like a charm.  I havent tried on my Intel system yet but have not had any issues installing on Dell Laptops and Servers.

These are my specs
    AMD X2 5400 Black Edt
    Abit AX78
    4GB Mushkin DDR2 800
    Seagate 160 SATA II
    ATI HD3870

miércoles, 21 de octubre de 2009 4:42
  • Just to confirm the above, I've had issues all day long trying to get Windows 7 x64 to install, with it constantly hanging at Expanding Windows Files. I restarted the system and entered the BIOS looking for the HT settings listed above. Under Advanced, there was a similar formatted pairing except rather than K8 <-> KN it was CPU <-> (something else).

I changed these to 1x and 8 respectively, and in the time it has taken me to type this, the installation has gone from "Expanding Windows Files 0%..." to "Completing installation..."

I'd call that a result.
    viernes, 23 de octubre de 2009 16:07
  • I've been having the same issue as far as the hanging.  I have 2 nearly identical PC's.
    Mobo: Biostar TA790GX A2+
    CPU:  AMD Phenom Black Edition 9850
    Ram:  Corsair Dominator 3x1 GB system Ram
    DVD:  Samsung OEM Super Writer drive
    HDD:  both have old Maxtor drives i had lying around.

One of the machines installed with no problems.  My main workstation installed fine as well (Asus M3N72-D, Phenom II 9850 Black, 4 GB Ram).  I let the other one sit over night and it was still sitting at 0% this morning.

After returning home from work and looking at the various results here I decided to start going through some of the less time consuming walk-throughs.  First focusing on the media. The original burned ISO's using the win7 iso burning tool with Memorex DVD+R.  Even when I started with that media I had to burn 4-5 copies before I got 2 discs to even be recognized at startup.  The Memorex ones worked on 2 machines, but even the exact disc I used for those 2 would not work in the other one.  So I found another stack I have of disc (verbatim I believe, they are the type with inkjet tops and no identifier) and burned that one with nero(verifying data) instead of the win 7 burning tool.  I replaced the disc and voila, installed just fine.

Long story short, I would highly recommend trying different disc media before you start messing with bios settings and/or other things that could potentially damage your PC.  ;)  If your friend has different media, both of you swap some discs, see if that takes care of it.  Hope this helps someone!

-Chip
    sábado, 24 de octubre de 2009 4:02
  • There is a problem i cannot solve! I have the installation program for windows 7 and i put it on my pc. The program where i'am working from is a very bad installed windows xp, it crashes all the time. When i begin the installing of windows 7, it just stops at 95%??
    sábado, 24 de octubre de 2009 12:17
  • Hi...

do you know if this solution works for intel based motherboards? I'm installing Windows 7 7600 and it is taking almost two hours to install, right now "expanding windows files is at 72%" I'm using a Gigabyte Motherboard GA-965G-DS3 Rev.1 Core2Duo 6400, and 2GB of RAM. I know that the installation disk isn´t the problem because i used it to install on other computers..

Regards!

Any Intel based solution would be appreciated. Trying to upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium from Vista Home Basic. 32 bit system disc.
    Dell Inspiron 1420
    BIOS Version A10
    Intel Core2 Duo
    Clock speed 1.5G
    Memory 2G
    160G HD
    SATA AHCI

The same "expanding windows files" issues. Left running overnight and made it to 14%. Any advice would be appreciated.
    domingo, 25 de octubre de 2009 0:53
  • Same problem, 32bit installs like a charm, on the same PC, 64 bit takes hours and I give up as it fails anyway.

I have 6GB of RAM and I'm extremely frustrated at Microsoft's "licensing" of memory so I can't use it on a 32-bit OS.

I can't install the 64-bit version of Windows 7 because of this problem that Microsoft appear to be ignoring.

Aaargh, it's Vista all over again!
    miércoles, 28 de octubre de 2009 5:33
  • I was having the same issue as the original above... "Windows 7 64-bit would hang at 0% when expanding Windows files"

I originally was getting the 0xc00000e9 error when Windows 7 64-bit was trying to load the installer, which lead me down the path of burning at a lower speed.  That worked!

After reading all of the other user's helpful tips, my issue was resolved by simply ejecting the DVD while it was stuck at 0%.  It prompted to retry the disc, so I popped it back in and it screamed through the install.  I couldn't believe it was that simple, but nothing to do with removing RAM or USB devices.  Hope this helps someone else! :)
    miércoles, 28 de octubre de 2009 14:46
  • I've also solved this problem on my ASUS based system by disabling "Legacy Floppy Drive Support" in the BIOS. 64-bit then installed in about 20 or so minutes.
    miércoles, 28 de octubre de 2009 18:26

This saved my day, I have been trying to get the retail version of W7 64 to load all day and it kept hanging at Expanding Windows Files.  This fix did the trick!!!  After adjusting the Bios is flew through Expanding Windows Files in five minutes!
    miércoles, 28 de octubre de 2009 23:11
  • Hi All-

I have a p55 1156 intel i5 and was having the same problems. I don't have a floppy drive but it was enabled in my bios.   I disabled this in the bios and now my install flys.

Thanks!

Kyle Caulfield
    www.kylecaulfield.com
    viernes, 06 de noviembre de 2009 22:58
  • I changed the ram speeds as well and that seemed to do the trick for me.  Although the names a little different in my BIOs
    martes, 01 de diciembre de 2009 21:03
  • Hi All-

I have a p55 1156 intel i5 and was having the same problems. I don't have a floppy drive but it was enabled in my bios.   I disabled this in the bios and now my install flys.

Thanks!

Kyle Caulfield
    www.kylecaulfield.com
    Same here. I was installing on P45 MoBo from Gigabyte, and thanks to these posts, I set Drive A from "Floppy" to "None", and I went from crawling along to flying.
    domingo, 06 de diciembre de 2009 1:08
  • I encountered this same problem, where it took nearly an hour to get to the 1% mark during install.  I tried disabling the floppy drive, and also changed the HyperTransport settings as suggested, but that did not solve my problem.  I ended up swapping DVD drives and, after a few minutes at 0%, if flew right through.  So, if all else fails I would suggest using a different drive if available to help get it installed.
    domingo, 20 de diciembre de 2009 0:07
  • Having an ASUS M4A79XTD I was running into the same problems as many people here.
    The HyperTransport settings helped.

However I would like to share another trick I found somewhere else.
    When it is stuck at "%0". Hit the red Arrow at the top right corner. Then hit "NO".
    In about 2 mins the installer will start expanding files.
    Strange I know.
    jueves, 31 de diciembre de 2009 8:15
  • just want to say I had the same problem , i tryed everything that i saw here , thanks guys for the help , the thing that did it for me was to remove the RAM and put it in a different slot (i have only 1 RAM and 3 slots :) ) , now it works :D , also in the BIOS i selected use automatic best settings ( or something like that ) but i don't think that had anything to do with it as i tryed it before

for me one problem down one to go :)
    jueves, 31 de diciembre de 2009 19:13
  • I had the same issue when trying to install and the fix turned out to be stupidly simple yet so unapparent that I stumbled on it by mistake - I ejected the DVD and re-inserted it. Windows complained about not having the disc, but after clicking the button to continue the installation it continued. After a minute or so, the expanding process sped up substantially and the rest of the installation went without a hitch.

Hope this helps!
    • Propuesto como respuesta mfvisuals viernes, 01 de enero de 2010 5:08
    viernes, 01 de enero de 2010 5:08
  • I had the same issue trying to install Vista and Win 7. Tried everything in all of the forums that I checked. Nothing. I finally disabled Intel SpeedStep in my bios and Win 7 installed like clock-work. This is some type of energy saving something for the cpu. I think AMD calls it hyper transport. Try disabling it for the install. Hope this works for you.
    miércoles, 06 de enero de 2010 20:46
  • A huge thanks for everyone who replied to this post!
    Windows 7 setup DVD was stalling for hours at expanding files (95%) on my HP Pavilion.

After finding this thread through Google, I searched for a legacy floppy drive or hyper transport setting but couldn't find anyting like that in my HP's BIOS (tap F1 during system startup to get into BIOS).

I looked further and found on the HP Pavilion they had a "Support for Legacy USB Devices" in the BIOS settings that I had to disable and it worked fine after that.
    jueves, 07 de enero de 2010 22:59
  • Update... (later that evening)

Got Windows 7 installed now thanks to disabling legacy USB support in the Pavilion's BIOS setup but now Windows 7 freezes when I install the driver for my Sound Blaster Audigy 4 PCI card. Anybody have a quick fix for that one?

Sorry if this is a little off topic. 
    viernes, 08 de enero de 2010 2:02
  • Hi,

I'm having the same issue and would appreciate help. Expanding Windows Files is at 4% now after 2 hours. The mouse still moves and if I eject the dvd the I get prompted to re-insert. The 3 dots ... still progress.

I disabled the floppy drive in the BIOS and still no luck. Don't know how long to leave it at 4%...

My system Intel i7 Quad. 6GB Ram. Gigabyte EX58UD3R.

domingo, 10 de enero de 2010 13:30
  • This also worked for me: first was booting with an iso-image on a dc-r. Didn't work: 0xc00000e9 error. Then burned the image on a dvd-rw.... worked, go figure.
    martes, 12 de enero de 2010 14:18
  • Try setting the power option in windows to high performance.
    viernes, 15 de enero de 2010 11:47
  • Thanks for this. My install was hanging at 0% for a long time. I got pissed enough to look up this thread. After reading all these posts I decided to turn off the hyperthreading ____ in my bios. Set it to the setting you suggested and restarted the computer. When it got to the Expanding Windows Files part, it blew right threw it. Who knows how long it would have taken if I hadn't done this. I was about to just go to sleep with my fingers crossed and hope that it would be done when I woke up. Now, I have 7 installed. Much thanks good sir. 
    sábado, 23 de enero de 2010 7:11
  • I have a retail copy of win7 64 bit, and my system is doing the same thing. I have a P6T ASUS, with a i7 960, 12GB of ram, ATI 5970. I just went back into the BIOS and disabled Intel Speed step. (I had already disabled the floppy drive). It does not look any better at the moment. I am going to try turning off HT in the bios next if this does not work.
    sábado, 23 de enero de 2010 22:57
  • Update:

I disabled both HT and SpeedStep, and it still did not work. I updated the BIOS on the MB, and that did not work. I then thought to myself, what would happen if I removed half of my ram...

I removed 6 of my 12 GB, and this resolved the problem. I am only guessing at this point, but it seems like winPE (the os used to install win7) does not like 12 GB of ram. It installed in less than 20 minuites. I hope this helps someone else out.

Have a good day!
    sábado, 23 de enero de 2010 23:57
  • Ditto on solving the problem by disabling the floppy drive in the BIOS, on Asus P5Q-EM.  And here I thought my days of dealing with floppy drive problems were over long ago!
    domingo, 24 de enero de 2010 2:52
  • My issue was random hangs during the "Expanding Files ..." stage, ranging from 0% to 42% complete.  After reading these posts I disabled Intel SpeedStep in BIOS and that solved the issue completely.

MSI board
    E6600 CPU, 8GB of RAM, 8800GT video
    domingo, 31 de enero de 2010 16:31
  • Huge thanks to all who posted here. Tried everything and it was the SpeedStep that finally did it.
    domingo, 31 de enero de 2010 18:59
  • i had this exact same problem SEVERAL times with many pc's i have a legal ISO to distribute and i buy keys from microsoft the problem i see most often is that the actual DVD drive is the issue i always use mine actual drive and it works just fine, if you have a pc that you have installed windows7 on and it worked correctly use that drive in the new pc to install the OS
    miércoles, 10 de febrero de 2010 1:00
  • SOLVED! Was trying to install Win 7 pro from XP. Each time, the installation hung at expanding files at 27%. Tried installing directly from HDD, another DVD drive etc but same problem. The thing that worked for me was disabling webroot spyware and antivirus. The installation flew in no time! :-)
    jueves, 18 de febrero de 2010 22:50
  • Basically the two major reasons I have seen Windows 7 hang during installation are:

1) Bad installation media - either the DVD was not burned at a slow speed like 4x, is scratched, or the DVD-ROM drive itself is failing.
    2) BIO settings - disable anything in your BIOS that is optional like Legacy USB support, Hyperthreading, Speedstep etc.

Some people also claim that removing extra RAM sticks helped solve the problem for them.
    I know the Windows 7 64 bit installation with 4 GB of RAM worked just fine for me yesterday on our new Gigabyte motherboard.
    jueves, 18 de febrero de 2010 23:59
  • I have been having the same problems that everyone else was having and tried everything from bios adjustments to different copies on different formats.  I even downloaded the ISO file 3 times to make sure I had it right.  None of those things worked.  In the end I went and bought a 500gb windows 7 compatible hard drive and it worked like a charm.  Not only is the installation smooth but the performance is 20X more amazing then the previous installs.  I figured it was my hard drive because during the installations it seemed as if there was poor communication between the DVD drive and the HDD.  So I bought a new one of each.  The DVD wouldn't let me boot windows so i resorted to my original DVD drive.  However the hard drive did work and well I am bragging about it now.  Again the HDD is Windows 7 Compatible.  Thanks for every ones input, I'm not sure I would have figured it out if all of this information was not posted.  As Sherlock Holmes would often tell Watson "Data Data Data"  Good luck to everyone else who is having a similar experience.
    domingo, 18 de abril de 2010 3:41
  • Hi,

I figured it out.... before installing a fresh copy of windows 7, DELETE any partitions on the hard disk, basically where it asks you to select the hard disk you want to install windows 7 on, click the drive click advanced and hit delete, it took me >10 mins after i figured tht part out to install the whole thing.. Good luck hopefully tht works for all cuz i already tried everything already posted on the this post and nothing would work.

jueves, 13 de mayo de 2010 23:38
  • HI all,

was browsing for a solution to this as I am having the same issue.  My installation after 5 hours was at 60% during the 'expanding files' stage.  I took a chance after reading this on another post to eject the disc.  An error message comes up about the disc being ejected.  Put it back in and select 'continue', and it took 5 minutes to complete the other 40%.  I hope this helps another user.

P.S I also removed a network cable and USB mouse at the same time, so small chance it could also be this.

miércoles, 19 de mayo de 2010 14:03

I turned off Floppy Drive support all together and now I don't get the hangs on installation. Thanks for the tip.
    miércoles, 02 de junio de 2010 0:34
  • I had the same problems - super slow installation, stalls, etc.  Thought I had a bad Seagate 250. Mobo is Abit ip35e with 4 Gig.  Simply moved the HD from SATA port 1 to SATA port 2.  The installation was less than 15mins.  I don't yet know if I have a bad port 1.  Good luck
    viernes, 09 de julio de 2010 21:58
  • Thanks! Disabling Intel SpeedStep in BIOS worked for me, after hours of investigation I found this post. Cheers!
    domingo, 25 de julio de 2010 12:53
  • H'okay, I just spent HOURS trying to install a downloaded version of Win7 Home Pre on a client's HP ____ laptop.

The BIOS had pretty much no options/ nothing to configure.

I burnt the DVD on several different media... no dice.

I tried ejecting/ reinserting the DVD.

I tried installing from an external DVD drive via a USB adapter.

Finally, towards the very bottom of this thread, I read the suggestion to

->     DELETE THE TARGET PARTITION.

Previously, with each attempt I had been formatting the partition.  Should have worked, right?

BUT NO.  The installation was always stuck at 0%.

But then I DELETED THE PARTITION. 

I didn't format this time. 

I just deleted that fricking partition and left it as unallocated space.

BAAAAM, Win7 installed SO fast that, after HOURS of unpaid misery, I'm almost in disbelief!

Oh, I gotta go enter the product key.

Good luck, ya'all.  Hope this helps.  Thanks for sharing.  Love the tubes!

domingo, 15 de agosto de 2010 7:58
  • After trying changing BIOS' options I finally made it installing Win7 from a USB drive (http://benosullivan.co.uk/windows/installing-windows-7-from-a-usb-stick-from-windows-xp/comment-page-4/#comment-2991) This was really fast.

Thanks.

• Propuesto como respuesta joan calavera miércoles, 18 de agosto de 2010 14:35
    miércoles, 18 de agosto de 2010 14:34
  • The problem is when DVD is SATA and HDD is IDE. If both are at the same interface, everything works ok.
    viernes, 03 de septiembre de 2010 12:21
  • I have it stalling at "Expanding Windows Files (0%)"

computer is  Dell Vostro1700, core2duo 2.0Ghz, 2gb ram, geforce8600gt, 320gb Toshiba HDD,

I tried 3 different cd drives because after a bit it seems like the drive isnt doing anything at all, i also tried a different hard drive, ejecting and reinserting the cd after several minutes. I remover both the bluetooth and the wireless cards. i have tried 2 different 64bit dvd's and a 32bit dvd.  i have disabled "SpeedStep" changed "AHCI" to "ATA" disabled "CPU XD Support" disabled "Multi Core Support" disabled "Dynamic Acceleration" disabled "USB Emulation" i have tried on battery only and on power brick only. i tried one stick of memory then the other in one slot then the other. then i reset bios removed everything, instead of one thing at a time so all i have now is the motherboard/video, hdd, dvd drive, keyboard, mousepad, and lcd screen, it still hangs at the very same "Expanding Windows Files (0%)"

martes, 07 de septiembre de 2010 6:03
  • I have it stalling at "Expanding Windows Files (0%)"

computer is  Dell Vostro1700, core2duo 2.0Ghz, 2gb ram, geforce8600gt, 320gb Toshiba HDD,

I tried 3 different cd drives because after a bit it seems like the drive isnt doing anything at all, i also tried a different hard drive, ejecting and reinserting the cd after several minutes. I remover both the bluetooth and the wireless cards. i have tried 2 different 64bit dvd's and a 32bit dvd.  i have disabled "SpeedStep" changed "AHCI" to "ATA" disabled "CPU XD Support" disabled "Multi Core Support" disabled "Dynamic Acceleration" disabled "USB Emulation" i have tried on battery only and on power brick only. i tried one stick of memory then the other in one slot then the other. then i reset bios removed everything, instead of one thing at a time so all i have now is the motherboard/video, hdd, dvd drive, keyboard, mousepad, and lcd screen, it still hangs at the very same "Expanding Windows Files (0%)"

martes, 07 de septiembre de 2010 6:04
  • Have you tried another cd ? also it might be worth doing a hardware check on the hard disk to make sure its not got a physical problem.

heres a guide to help you run the checks on the harddisk. http://www.mypchealth.co.uk/GuideTests.php

www.mypchealth.co.uk
    martes, 07 de septiembre de 2010 15:11
  • I tried 3 different dvd' as stated above and also 2 different hard disks.

instead of changing out the internal cd-dvd drive then i used a usb dvd drive and it worked, dell said this computer dont support win7 but i got it now.

Thanks to everyone for the help you left behind!!

martes, 07 de septiembre de 2010 18:54
  • i had my computer getting stuck at expanding files, but it got to 99% and what i did to fix it was burn another copy, and switch the cd out after it got stuck and then it worked right away

miércoles, 08 de septiembre de 2010 18:34
  • Was stuck like everyone else at 0% on "Expanding Windows Files" (New install, not upgrade). Left it for 1/2 hour and ejected the DVD and got a message that files were missing. I reburned at x2 speed. Instalation completed in approx. 20 minutes with new disk.

martes, 28 de septiembre de 2010 21:55

Wow! Thank You. This worked like a charm! How did you ever think about doing this? It really is such an odd method That wotrked.
    domingo, 03 de octubre de 2010 17:52
  • Add my name to the list of people with this problem.

Read many many many threads on possible solutions, unfortunately none of them worked.

The DVD I've tried OEM DVD's and one's I've burned, no difference.  Stuck at expanding files 0%.  If I pop out the DVD, it displays a message box about "no disk in the drive, please re-insert disk."  So I put the disk back in and hit "Try Again" button - no difference, stuck at 0%.

Seeing as Microsoft haven't even tried to fix this problem, guess I'll stick with OSX -- never had any issues installing 3 generations of Apple's OS.

Can I send Microsoft an Invoice for my time and refunded?  I mean, when I call to ask Microsoft for support, the first thing they want is my Credit Card number so they can charge it ... surely, I have legal right to do the same to them?  Or is Windows 7 just a scam I fell for?

Almost 2011 and still no fix for this problem ... Ballmer, you really wonder why Microsoft got financially passed up by Apple??  Just read this thread and the many many many others ... it's a good clue as to what you have done to what was once a great company.

The worst human interface in existance ... Microsoft Windows
    jueves, 09 de diciembre de 2010 6:08
  • I struggled with this for most of the afternoon and evening today. Even after hours had passed it was still stuck at 0%. I burned numerous DVDs from my laptop, without success.

I finally figured it worth a try to burn another DVD from my desktop computer, after a separate download. This one installed perfectly!

I guess either the download to my laptop was corrupt...or the DVDs burned with the laptop weren't entirely successful. Strange, though, that the installer on the DVD ran to the point where the files would be expanded...and only then got stuck at 0%.

sábado, 01 de enero de 2011 3:15
  • Hi All,

If your still experiencing the 'windows expanding files (0%) problem.  Its might be worth looking into your BIOS and find out the SATA operation setting.

If installing Windows, the Sata setting should be ACHI  I think)

If installing XP, the Sata setting should be ATA.

Again, the solution to the problem depends on your HDD type.

Hope it helps..

martes, 25 de enero de 2011 11:17
  • Best solution is to Load Windows 7 onto a USB stick, boot to the USB stick and install from there -- you need to have the USB stick in the USB port before power ON and you need to make sure the BIOS is set to boot to the USB (removable) drive before any other drive.

Microsoft USB installer is here: http://store.microsoft.com/help/iso-tool

Disable 3.5" floppy drive support.

Enable legacy USB support.

The setting drive protocols from IDE (there is no ATA setting so not sure what above poster is talking about) or ACHI or RAID makes no difference with this problem.  If you select RAID, you'll need to load a driver during install before the install can see your hard drives (not always the case as some RAID controllers will present the drive normally).  Some drives don't support ACHI but it is the preferred option as it supports additional features.

If you are using SSD drives, RAID is NOT a good option -- it may provide gains in sustained transfer but it introduces latency and will slow read/write times (one more layer between you and the data on your SSD).  With quality SSD drives they reach over 200MB/sec sustained some as high as 300+ MB/sec.  If you plan to use the PC for HD (and 3D) 10bit uncompressed video then you "might" want to consider doing RAID with SSD but even 10bit uncompressed video only needs 200MB/sec max.  But of course I can't imagine anyone doing serious video processing/editing on a Windows OS, Mac OSX is a far better platform for that type of work.

Hope this helps.

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
    martes, 25 de enero de 2011 16:43
  • I happened upon this forum and was havign the same issues of getting to about 30-40% with my windows 7 home install on a Crucial 300C 128gb ssd. I getting the error of corrupt data like the others and had to delete the partition and start over. Never did work. I noticed that alot of these folks are using LG drives. I also was using an LG Blue Ray burner the one they sell at best buy. I put in my Asus and it made it through the install. Only problem Im haveing now is it wont boot up past windows screen. I will add some more data later when I get home from work. Just wanted to point out maybe its the LG Blue ray drives and the windows 7 disk not liking each other for some odd reason.
    jueves, 10 de febrero de 2011 18:00
  • you can only use up to 3 GB in 32 bit OS because of memory bus size, not because of licensing. Just an FYI.
    viernes, 01 de abril de 2011 4:17
  • i was having the same problem on my system dell inspiron i try all the possible ways but still the same no any achievement after all the process i even give up and install xp but suddenly i try one process which is by using pendrive and it woks perfectly here are the process of doing so

get a pendrie 4GB minimum

Step 1. Preparing USB drive

Open command prompt, from Start > run > cmd. If you are on vista or Windows 7, you might need to run it as elevated administrator. You can do this by creating shortcut to “cmd” on desktop then right click > “Run as Administrator”.

Enter following commands -

> Diskpart

DISKPART> LIST DISK

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
    ——–  ————-  ——-  ——-  —  —
    Disk 0    Online           93 GB    13 MB
    Disk 1    Online           8 GB    6 MB

Note down the number corresponding Disk number. 1 in my case

DISKPART> SELECT DISK 1

>CLEAN
    >CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
    >SELECT PARTITION 1     – This 1 remains same always.
    >ACTIVE
    >FORMAT FS=NTFS
    >ASSIGN
    >EXIT

Step 2. Copy Installed CD/DVD contents to USB drive

> xcopy e:\*.* /s/e/f f:\

where e:\ is your source DVD drive, f:\ is target USB drive

Step 3.Changing BIOS Settings

Reboot into BIOS. Change settings to Enable “Boot from USB”, and give it the highest precedence. Save settings and reboot, You would reboot into installation.

sábado, 21 de mayo de 2011 7:29
  • just wait 4 or 5 minutes and it work
    martes, 19 de julio de 2011 12:49
  • Made this account to reply to this answer. It worked! It was stuck on 0% forever. Just opening the disc drive and putting it back in sorted it!
    miércoles, 10 de agosto de 2011 19:56
    I can confirm this solution works.  I was stuck at zero percent for half an hour or more, and after doing this the percentage took off like a rocket.
    miércoles, 17 de agosto de 2011 18:52
  • whoo hoo !...... yes ! ...you rock !...   if i sound exited its only because after 2 years with my ASUS M3N72-D and its painfully slow loading and unpacking of windows (i load windows allot, I'm always experimenting with programs, hardware, and what-not) i could NOT stand the waiting any more !..... so i purchased a new ASUS M5A99X EVO mobo,  like i needed an excuse to do that.... (New Toy !)..... but thanks to your clever advice, (disabling "Legacy Floppy Drive Support") i just installed win 7 in about 20 minutes (give or take) and that's a significant improvement ...(it took about an hour before) so, what I'm tryin' to say is.... I READ YOUR POST !, you MAGNIFICENT BAST.....  (UH, sorry, "Patton" moment)  well, you get the point...THANKS ! Seriously... LOL   

Bless you, my friend.

Have a Better Day !

Walkingeagle069 .

sábado, 19 de noviembre de 2011 16:32
  • I was experiencing really weird behavior like this, too.  

I installed on two machines, both used the same exact DVD and even the same DVD DRIVE.  One machine was a gigabyte mobo with a phenom 6core cpu and the install went off without a hitch and I was up and running in win7 in under 15 mins.  

The other machine was not so fortunate.  Remember, however, same media, same drive. Only a dual core amd cpu, but really, how much CPU do you need during windows install?

Anyway, the second machine hung at 40% with no DVD drive activity. After getting impatient, I just ejected the disc tray and pushed it back in and viola, it was un-hung and the process completed.

The only thing I can figure is some nuance with the way motherboards BIOSes handle the cdrom I/O and must hit something that sends them into la-la land.

It's the only thing that makes sense since I was using the same DVD drive and same install media.

Good luck.

martes, 27 de diciembre de 2011 23:29
  • Well after finally getting to the install point, Windows 7 was getting stuck at 8%. Very frustrating! I first eject disc, no go. I then disable intel speed, no go. So i took out a stick of RAM..still nothing. So i reburned the image using 2X speed, worked like a charm and its already done installing! Good Luck!
    viernes, 03 de febrero de 2012 5:50
  • THANK YOU SO MUCH, you really saved me :3
    martes, 28 de febrero de 2012 17:12
  • Thanks sdbyrd!!!  After waiting at 70% for 45 minutes I ejected the DVD, popped it back in, and it took off!  I think this is the first thing people should try!

Rob Kraft

martes, 19 de junio de 2012 1:04
  • Anyone that's hanging with a ASUS MOBO - Disable Intel SpeedStep in BIOS!
    • Propuesto como respuesta JJK0 viernes, 06 de julio de 2012 4:10
    viernes, 06 de julio de 2012 4:09
  • Latecomer here, but as I found this because I was searching for a solution to this same problem, it still seems relevant.  I couldn't get past "Expanding Windows files".

I noticed many mentions of different hardware and software interferences.  Rather than investigate each one, I just started my PC in safe mode and ran the installation that way. It worked perfectly.

jueves, 04 de octubre de 2012 12:37
  • I have to add that this worked for me as well. It was stuck at expanding 77% for over an hour, so I simply opened the CD drive, closed it, and clicked Try Again. It took less than five minutes to finish installing after that. 
    viernes, 05 de octubre de 2012 16:55
  • As others have stated, I popped open the DVD-ROM and closed it again and ripped right through the installation.  Weird, huh?  But whatever works!
    domingo, 23 de diciembre de 2012 1:51
  • Hello everyone,

I had the same problem, an error while expanding files (error code : 0x8007045D).

I noticed that when i installed from a USB drive, if a win7 DVD was also present, the installer read data from the DVD!

So I disconnected all drives that were not in use for the installation, i.e. I kept only one USB drive (the source) and one SSD drive (the destination).

WARNING: Don't create any partitions neither on the USB drive nor on the SSD drive :
    At first save your disk data. Then, when you setup Windows©, simply delete all SSD partitions then click "Next".

The file expansion was still a little bit slow (about 2 or 3 minutes) but it worked.

I did the operation twice, once with an USB drive as (the only) source and once with a DVD drive as (the only) source and it worked in these two cases.

So it seems that the rule is : you shall prevent windows from looking on other drives or partitions by setting only ONE valid source and ONE valid destination.

Hope this could help future readers.
    (sorry for my English, I'm French)

Mike

viernes, 16 de agosto de 2013 8:36
  • This worked for me also when stuck at 0% at "Expanding Windows Files"... On the HP Pavillion G6 purchased June 2013 from Best Buy. Popped the CD tray open, closed it, and it ran fine afterwards.
    martes, 27 de agosto de 2013 18:30
  • Right chaps I am so miserable I could cry. I got this error yesterday having just popped in a new 500GB 7200HDD in to my laptop (which runs Windows seven fine on a 320gb)

I have tried everything I can think of -

1) Two HDD as I bought a second thinking it was the disk that was the problem!!!!!!!!!!

2) Windows 7 Ultimate and Home Premuim Installs

3) Windows Vista Install

4) Different Ram

5) Changed the HDD setting in the BIOS (I don't have the other settings mention here).

6) Tried popping the CD tray in and out.

I know this works on my Packard Bell Easynote TJ68 why do both Vista and Windows 7 get stuck when expanding files and throws out an error message.

Additionally I have even tried installing XP but that blue screens during install............

I have been on this for nearly 24 hours and nothing!

sábado, 09 de noviembre de 2013 14:04
  • Hi rob,

How did you disable Floppy in Asus Laptop. I dont see any floppy option

Thanks,

Prajesh

• Editado Prajesh domingo, 25 de mayo de 2014 6:06 .
    domingo, 25 de mayo de 2014 6:06
  • Exelllent: worked for me 

it didnt even dawn on me to try that as i had no error message it was just stuck. On older operating systems always pops up an error when it cant read the disk and would just burn a fresh one and use that so when no similar message on win 7 i just assumed was something else

Nice one 

jueves, 17 de julio de 2014 15:18
  • Thank you!!! Saved my LIFE :D
    lunes, 08 de diciembre de 2014 18:27
  • You don't need to remove any DIMM, I've tried this as well with "Expanding Windows Files" and that didn't help. If the RAM was the issue, you'd eventually get a BSOD error and the OS install would present you an error.

HERE IS A SOLUTION FOR THOSE IN QUESTION:

I've run into this issue installing on an HP 620 Laptop [Only 1x] when upgrading using CLEAN INSTALL on SSD.

You want to make sure you aren't use IDE [AHCI should be set for any type of SSD]. Expanding Windows files is based off the media type you using to install the OS to machine. I used a DVD i downloaded of the .iso and tried both USB external and CD-ROM drive. Both stalled @ 88% forever. I then loaded a new .iso from msft.digitalriver download onto a 4GB USB Thumb Drive, and BAM!!

The "Expanding Windows Files" continued past the 88 percent mark and finished the install completely.

SOLUTION: Try another media type as this was my issue. DVD = FAIL USB FLASH DRIVE = SUCCESS!

Hope this helps anyone out there who runs into this issue,
    Thanks,
    Kent C.

jueves, 18 de diciembre de 2014 21:43
  • This trick also works when doing an install from a USB drive.   Got stuck at "Expanding Windows Files" at 71%, could never get it to work until finally I pulled out the USB drive, plugged it back in, and it continued on after 71%.
    domingo, 22 de febrero de 2015 8:02
  • Thank you so much! I logged in just to tell you this worked and you're a life and time-saver. The real MVP.
    miércoles, 18 de noviembre de 2015 6:34
  • Rustedbucket, you saved my day!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or night:) I've been sitting in front of client's PC for 45 when Windows got stuck at Expending Windows files and ejecting disk and inserting it back WORKED LIKE A CHARM! THANKS!!!!
    jueves, 15 de junio de 2017 23:40
  • better-late-than-never

my solution was to get into the BIOS and switch the hard drive mode to ATA (not AHCI, which is the more modern one); like all things, this won't be the solution for everyone, but since it was for me, it may be for you!

this was for a core 2 duo box with 4gb pc2-6400; creating the partition took like 15 minutes, then install was like overnight (took like an hour just to get to 1%), then windows would hang on the boot up; post hdd behavior switch: partitions created in like a second and flying through win 10 install in like 15 minutes total time (and windows pulled up on it's own without hanging); I tried swapping out RAM and HDD and SATA cable all to no avail

"All things are possible, but not all things are permissible"

jueves, 08 de febrero de 2018 15:32
  • better-late-than-never

my solution was to get into the BIOS and switch the hard drive mode to ATA (not AHCI, which is the more modern one); like all things, this won't be the solution for everyone, but since it was for me, it may be for you!

this was for a core 2 duo box with 4gb pc2-6400; creating the partition took like 15 minutes, then install was like overnight (took like an hour just to get to 1%), then windows would hang on the boot up; post hdd behavior switch: partitions created in like a second and flying through win 10 install in like 15 minutes total time (and windows pulled up on it's own without hanging); I tried swapping out RAM and HDD and SATA cable all to no avail

"All things are possible, but not all things are permissible"

Did you provide the AHCI drivers?  Depending on the system the HDD is not seen correctly when in the AHCI mode unless you provide the necessary AHCI drivers for the controller.
    jueves, 08 de febrero de 2018 19:50
  • I guess everyone has a different BIOS tweak. I am doing this on Dell Vostro 200.  I have used same install media on other machines without problems, both DVD and USB.  It would always hang on this machine however.  I made the following tweaks to BIOS:

1. Make sure date and time are correct in BIOS

2.  Limit CPUID Value: Disable

3. Core Multi Processing: Disable

4. Boot up NumLock: Off

5. Video Memory Size:  1 MB

6.  USB Operation mode: Full/Low speed

7.  Onboard LAN Boot ROM: Disabled 

As most know, the options available in BIOS depend upon the particular BIOS version you have. These options were available on my BIOS.  I make no claims that any or all of these are necessary to eliminate this problem of hanging upon Expanding Windows Files; I simply observe that after days of trying different things, when I finally made all these changes in BIOS, it worked!

After WIN7 installed, I then reverted all these changes to their normal settings.

• Editado IAMME3 miércoles, 06 de junio de 2018 14:05
    miércoles, 06 de junio de 2018 14:05