none
Updates from incorrect site

Pregunta

• Hi All,

We have an issue with some of our machines on our corporate network.

Windows 10 machines on a windows 2008 box are displayed as Vista machines. We believe this is because the version of WSUS and Server 2008. Some of the W10 machines seem to be picking updates from different sites and directly from Microsoft web site. I can confirm the machines point to the correct pickup location, HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate. The output shows the correct location is specified. I have looked at the GPO's and it appears to be picking up the correct Policies.

Why then do some machines go to different sites and to Microsoft web site for updates?

Please could someone help as this is causing terrific traffic on the network.

Hopefully. Regards.

miércoles, 13 de junio de 2018 8:41

Todas las respuestas

• Windows 10 machines on a windows 2008 box are displayed as Vista machines. We believe this is because the version of WSUS and Server 2008. 

Yes. this is expected. It doesn't affect the correct operation of WSUS, but you need to be aware of this when using the WSUS console and reports. There is no update/hotfix to correct this. To resolve this issue you have to upgrade your WSUS to a new version of Windows Server. There are temporary script-fixes available if this issue bothers you too much and you won't/can't upgrade your server.

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

miércoles, 13 de junio de 2018 10:09
  • Some of the W10 machines seem to be picking updates from different sites and directly from Microsoft web site. I can confirm the machines point to the correct pickup location, HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate. The output shows the correct location is specified. I have looked at the GPO's and it appears to be picking up the correct Policies.

Why then do some machines go to different sites and to Microsoft web site for updates?

This sounds a little bit like the "Dual scan" issue.. ?

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/wsus/2017/05/05/demystifying-dual-scan/

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/wsus/2017/08/04/improving-dual-scan-on-1607/

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

miércoles, 13 de junio de 2018 10:10
  • Hi Don,

Can you explain in laymans terms what dual scan is? I cant seem to get my head around this issue. Its causing us no end of pain on the WAN.

It seems that any user who visits a remote site and goes back to his original (Home) site he still seems to pick updates from the remote site? Do you know what GPO WSUS uses to connect to individual sites? A

Any information on troubleshooting this issue would be of great value to me.

Regards.

jueves, 14 de junio de 2018 7:41