how to add custom site collection template in central admin site in SharePoint2010? RRS feed

• Pregunta

• hi all,

how can we add custom template in cendtral admin in sharepoint 2010? In 2007, we can add by using the stsadm tool addtemplate operation....but 2010 tremplate is saved as a solution file not a .stp file...so how we can add this template in central admin site in SharePoint 2010? Please give me some suggestions......

thanks in advance.....

viernes, 3 de septiembre de 2010 6:27

Respuestas

• Hi,

What you can probably do is to import you saved site (the .wsp file) into Visual Studio. You will then need to add a new Feature and give the the FARM scope. Add the module or element that holds the WebTemplate feature that defines the site to this new Feature. Make sure you remove the module or element from the feature it was originally in. Repackage the whole thing and deploy the new .wsp file to Central Administration. Be aware that you will have to deploy it as a farm or full trust solution if you want to be able to create new site collections based on it without doing any extra work.

Hope that helps.

Mirjam
    Microsoft Certified Master | SharePoint 2007
    sharepointchick.com
    • Marcado como respuesta Lily Wu viernes, 10 de septiembre de 2010 8:22
    viernes, 3 de septiembre de 2010 15:57

Todas las respuestas

• Hi,

Is this what you are looking for ?

http://www.toddklindt.com/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=218

Regards.

Shafaquat Ali.

M.C.I.T.P Exchange 2007/2010, M.C.I.T.P Windows Server 2008, M.C.T.S OCS Server 2007 R2, URL: http://blog.WhatDoUC.net Phone: +923008210320
    viernes, 3 de septiembre de 2010 6:31
  • No Ali,

If we follow that link, when we are creating site collections every time we need to upload the site template solution into the site collection. But i want to upload the site template solution at form template gallary. So when we are creating the site collection form central admin site under custom tab our site template should be visible then we can choose that custom template to create site collections. this is what i am expecting.........

please give me some suggestionsss..........

viernes, 3 de septiembre de 2010 6:43
  • Hi,

Step 1: Clone an existing Site Definition

Step 2: Create the WEBTEMP XML fragment file to register the site definition with SharePoint

Step 3: Reset the application pool

Step 4: Create a site based on the custom site definition

For complete details please check the following link.

http://www.toddbaginski.com/blog/archive/2009/11/02/how-to-create-a-custom-site-definition-in-sharepoint-2010.aspx.aspx

Regards.

Shafaquat Ali.

M.C.I.T.P Exchange 2007/2010, M.C.I.T.P Windows Server 2008, M.C.T.S OCS Server 2007 R2, URL: http://blog.WhatDoUC.net Phone: +923008210320
    viernes, 3 de septiembre de 2010 6:53
  • Ali,

i am not using site definition...just i am saved a site as a site template...and i want to use this template to create site collection...and this template should be there in central admin....so how we can add this template to central admin site?

viernes, 3 de septiembre de 2010 7:04
  • Good morning all

I am busy looking around for the answer to this too! surely this can be done without editing XML files!

Ash

Fast, Cheep, Good. Choose any Two!
    viernes, 3 de septiembre de 2010 9:52
  • I think i found out a way to do it, it fails at the final hurdle though! This is what i did:

1. Created a Publishing site collection with workflow from central admin

2. In site settings -> site collection features, deactivated workflows

3. Opened site in SharePoint Designer and saved it as a solution (.wsp)

4. Deleted the Publishing site collection and re-created it using Custom - select template later...

( It was here that if i thought i uploaded the solution to central admin solutions, i might be able to select it from the 'Custom' tab - not the case though)

5. After the site collection was delcared ready and a template needs choosing, open the solutions gallery (there's a link on the page) and upload the .wsp file here

6. Activate it here too, you will be able to see it as activated in Site Collection Features.  Go back to the root of the site, and select the Custom tab, the site solution should be listed here

7. Wait a minute while this loads, and then displays the permission groups page.  Do what you like here cause on clicking ok, the site dies, for me anyway.

Anyone had any better luck?

Cheers

Ash

Fast, Cheep, Good. Choose any Two!
    viernes, 3 de septiembre de 2010 11:24
  • Hi,

What you can probably do is to import you saved site (the .wsp file) into Visual Studio. You will then need to add a new Feature and give the the FARM scope. Add the module or element that holds the WebTemplate feature that defines the site to this new Feature. Make sure you remove the module or element from the feature it was originally in. Repackage the whole thing and deploy the new .wsp file to Central Administration. Be aware that you will have to deploy it as a farm or full trust solution if you want to be able to create new site collections based on it without doing any extra work.

Hope that helps.

Mirjam
    sharepointchick.com
    • Marcado como respuesta Lily Wu viernes, 10 de septiembre de 2010 8:22
    viernes, 3 de septiembre de 2010 15:57
  • Hi ali,

I thing, sharepoint 2010 is totally different that 2007, for creating site collection if you want to use custom template then you have to first create site collection(select last option custom, u can see ther, that , they say "select template later"), so creeate site collection and when you try to open this creatd site collection, u will get prompt for selecting template, at this step upload you wsp file and hence site collection wil b created based on this.

dont compare it with site collection creation procedure of sharepoint2007, using custom template, it is different for sharpoint 2010.

jueves, 21 de octubre de 2010 9:12
  • Hi Rohithere,

That is not by definition true. The way you describe site creation is true if you are creating a sandboxed solution with a web template in there that you want to use for the creation of a new site collection.
    If you create a farm solution with either a web template or a site definition in it you can simply select the template you want to use from the UI as you could in SharePoint 2007. It's not completely different, you just have more options now.
    For more information on custom site definitions and web templates check out Vesa's post:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vesku/archive/2010/10/14/sharepoint-2010-and-web-templates.aspx

Mirjam
    Microsoft Certified Master | SharePoint 2010
    sharepointchick.com
    jueves, 21 de octubre de 2010 9:36
  • The "probably" is a bit vague. Is there a walktrough abvailable somewhere?
    viernes, 14 de enero de 2011 15:51
  • I found this tutorial very detailed and well done.

Alberto

martes, 8 de febrero de 2011 14:17