none
SCOM 2016 Agent Installation Error - The management group name cannot contain a leading or trailing space

Pregunta

• Hi Team,

I have few non-domain joined servers which need to be added in SCOM monitoring and have successfully done this past for server running Window 2012 R2.

now we have few 2008 R2 SP1 server where we are getting the below error message.

"The management group name cannot contain a leading or trailing space"

Troubleshooting :

> Reinstalled the SCOM Agent

> No registry key as mentioned in Support Forum https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/52a4e0dc-3833-471c-ac27-eba61862b59b/scom-2007-install-error-quotinvalid-management-group-namequot?forum=systemcenter

Thank in Advance

viernes, 13 de julio de 2018 8:46

Todas las respuestas

• Hey,

Obvious question - did you make sure there are no spaces in the MG name (at start and end)?

That happens sometimes when you copy-paste the text.

Cheers

Sam (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" wherever applicable. Thanks!) Blog:AnalyticOps Insights Twitter:Sameer Mhaisekar

viernes, 13 de julio de 2018 9:15
  • Hi Sam,

Thank you for your response.

yes, that was my first thought too and i can confirm that there is no space in MG name.

sábado, 14 de julio de 2018 16:27
  • It is assume that your management group name does not contains space or any non-allow charatcer. Moreover, make sure that agent machine can telnet to port 5723 on primary server.
    Roger
    lunes, 16 de julio de 2018 2:12
  • Hi,

For this kind of problem, the registry is a clue. We may open the registry editor, press F3 and type the exact management group name to see if the management group already exists in the registry. If yes, delete it and re-install the SCOM agent to see if it helps. 

Hope the above information helps.

-----------------------------------------------
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

lunes, 16 de julio de 2018 2:47
  • Hi Alex,

Tried to search in registry with MG name but no entry in registry.

SCOM was never installed on these machines and this is the first time we are trying it very first time.

lunes, 16 de julio de 2018 4:05
  • Hi Alex,

Tried to search in registry with MG name but no entry in registry.

SCOM was never installed on these machines and this is the first time we are trying it very first time.

Hey,

Can you show us the MG name? (Or an exact replica of it)

Cheers

Sam (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" wherever applicable. Thanks!) Blog:AnalyticOps Insights Twitter:Sameer Mhaisekar

lunes, 16 de julio de 2018 4:21
  • Guys,

sorry silly mistake by me, I was entering the MG name at server name and server name at MG name.

lunes, 16 de julio de 2018 14:29
  • :)

Please close the thread.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

lunes, 16 de julio de 2018 16:32