none
Error at "Expanding Files": Windows cannot install required files. 0x80070570

Pregunta

• I do a clean install. Delete all the partitions, make a new one, format.
    Then "Copying files" takes approx 1 second. Then it does to "Expand" and gives me the error.

Exact message:
    "Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070570"
    lunes, 12 de enero de 2009 19:14

Respuestas

• I resolved the problem I had. It appeared to be a memory chip. I do not know whether it is a bad chip or just a compatibility issue.
    I had 2.5GB of RAM: 1GB 800Mhz and the rest 512MB 688Mhz. I took out the 1GB and the install went through fine. Windows 7 is running just fine with 1.5GB of RAM on a 2.8Ghz Pentium D.
    • Marcado como respuesta obog lunes, 12 de enero de 2009 23:22
    lunes, 12 de enero de 2009 22:38

Todas las respuestas

• Most likely one of the source files for Windows is corrupt.  You should try to re-download and/or re-burn the ISO.

Thanks.
    -Adrian
    lunes, 12 de enero de 2009 19:46
  • I have the same error and have done two separate downloads (32 bit) and burned two separate DVDs from them.  Same exact error both times.  Any more ideas?  Could it be that I have 512 MB RAM vs recommended 1 GB?
    lunes, 12 de enero de 2009 21:27
  • I resolved the problem I had. It appeared to be a memory chip. I do not know whether it is a bad chip or just a compatibility issue.
    I had 2.5GB of RAM: 1GB 800Mhz and the rest 512MB 688Mhz. I took out the 1GB and the install went through fine. Windows 7 is running just fine with 1.5GB of RAM on a 2.8Ghz Pentium D.
    • Marcado como respuesta obog lunes, 12 de enero de 2009 23:22
    lunes, 12 de enero de 2009 22:38
  • dear obog ;

first of all , all of us know that beta programs can give error messages while it running but this windows 7 beta doesn't work , there a lot  people who cannot run it. maybe everything went through with your installion but not for me and others. you can see if you visit all pages in section : Windows 7 installion , setup and deployment.

I also never thought I would be defending other OS , i'm here to using windows , am not ?

i'm nervous cause of i bought a vista copy. price of a vista copy in my country nearly half of a mountly clerk earnings. i think you understand me!

by the way , do me a favour and give an advice

i have intel pentium d cpu 3.0 ghz

i have 3 gb ram , and using two of them. they are 667 mhz.

i tried to install with 1 gb but it gave me same error.

shall i buy a 512 mb ram to complete 1.5 GB ?

is this magic thing for installion ? :)
    martes, 13 de enero de 2009 0:36
  • Hmmmm.  You reminded me of a problem I had forgotten about with your memory fix.  I have the same Win 7 install problem with the same error code when expanding files.

There is a game out there called Half Life that would crash my computer every so often.  It turns out I was not alone.  Enough people were having crash problems that it made the vendor's FAQ.  One of the causes the vendor suspected was memory.  They suggested trying different memory slots or different brands of memory.  Huh?  When I built my system, I ran the usual Prime number and Memtest86 programs for over a day each before declaring my system "good".  But I tried moving my memory sticks to different slots (against the board manufacturer's recommended setup I might add) and lo and behold, my crashes became much, much less frequent.  What was going on here?  I never had any crashes before.

My only conclusion was that there are certain programs that stress memory usage in ways that the familiar Prime number and Memtest programs do not.  Half Life is one program.  I later found problems encoding certain video files using particular algorithms.  I could only get through an entire file by dialing back my memory settings.  Now this.  The Win 7 installation is probably doing a lot of decompression and pushing memory.  I'm going to try dialing back my memory settings and see if I can get all the way through this.

Thanks for triggering the light, obog.
    • Propuesto como respuesta tbaietto lunes, 19 de enero de 2009 2:57
    martes, 13 de enero de 2009 0:40
  • mbulger - tried your suggestions with memory issues as the culprit.  After removing 1 stick of mem (512meg) leaving 1 stick of memory (512 meg) now system runs fine - I believe your memory suggestion is what fixed it for me.  I didn't try the other fix suggested on this board regarding removal of drive and re-formatting on a existing machine - didn't have to !  Thanks for pointing me in right direction.
    lunes, 19 de enero de 2009 3:00
  • I had this same issue.  I thought it was the download, however the MD5 checked out.  I thought it may have been the burn, however I verified the contents of the disc against the ISO and everything checked out.  I just kept trying and trying, eventually it worked.  I'm now using Windows 7 and loving it.

I guess persistence is key...
    • Editado qwik lunes, 19 de enero de 2009 5:52 typo
    lunes, 19 de enero de 2009 5:51

Obog, and anyone else reading. I just wanted to say that I have an HP XW9400 w/ the Opteron 64 bit processor and 8 GBs of RAM. I was having the same issue, where the install would fail on "expanding files" with the error "Windows cannot install required files."  Removing half my RAM took care of the issue.  I was experiencing the same issue with Windows 7 RC, and removing the RAM helped there too. Also, in my case, Windows 7 saw my drive without my having to install thrid party drivers. I have a Maxtor 300GB SAS drive running on the LSI Logic 1068e SAS controller.
    jueves, 7 de mayo de 2009 16:39
  • Dude, you just dont know how many dvds i spent trying to install the beta and Rc version, this is the best solution ive ever tried, i have a a phenom X4 9950, 8gb ram, 1tb hitachi HD, MSI motherboard, i just took out three of my memories, and work i think even faster than before.
    miércoles, 20 de mayo de 2009 20:34
  • same problem here to. resolved by removing 2 of the ram-chips
    martes, 28 de julio de 2009 20:01
  • Same problem here, tried installation from USB drive and DVD, both failed. Resolved by removing memory with "Samsung" memory chips in my system.    
    domingo, 22 de noviembre de 2009 16:39
  • I'm experiencing the exactly same issue. Multiple tries all failed after expanding reached about 10%. Now I have reduced my memory from 8GB to 4GB and so far it'd moving forward. Get my finger crossed.
    viernes, 27 de noviembre de 2009 4:49
  • I'm experiencing the exactly same issue. Multiple tries all failed after expanding reached about 10%. Now I have reduced my memory from 8GB to 4GB and so far it'd moving forward. Get my finger crossed.

Oh! No! It failed again! This time it reached about 35% then the same message. Now I'm stuck. Help please.
    • Propuesto como respuesta FARUQ KHAN miércoles, 25 de junio de 2014 22:34
    viernes, 27 de noviembre de 2009 4:52
  • I had the same problem 4g removed 1 dimm, win 7 loaded, do you think this is bad memory dimm? or just the install cannot deal with memory ?
    jueves, 17 de diciembre de 2009 1:40
  • I do a clean install. Delete all the partitions, make a new one, format.
    Then "Copying files" takes approx 1 second. Then it does to "Expand" and gives me the error.

Exact message:
    "Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070570"
    had this exact same problem (sometimes it would get to 5 or 6% and then freeze). ended up buying an 8gb flash drive, turning it into a boot disk, putting windows on there, and loading from that (look online to see how). in the end, the IDE cable for my DVD drive was broken. replaced it, and everything is fine now.

i would check your DVD drive cable first, then your HDD cable, then the copy of the DVD. Then I would look to book from a flash disk since this will bypass the problem area all together (assuming the problem is not the cable, as it was for me). hope i was useful.
    miércoles, 30 de diciembre de 2009 21:05
  • Hi

pls run chkdsk /r
    that will fix it..

thanks
    lunes, 1 de febrero de 2010 16:05
  • mbulger - tried your suggestions with memory issues as the culprit.  After removing 1 stick of mem (512meg) leaving 1 stick of memory (512 meg) now system runs fine - I believe your memory suggestion is what fixed it for me.  I didn't try the other fix suggested on this board regarding removal of drive and re-formatting on a existing machine - didn't have to !  Thanks for pointing me in right direction.

I had the same issue installing Windows 7 - random crashes and blue screens.  Once I took out two memory sticks (leaving 2 GB of memory), the install worked perfectly. 

I then discovered that the voltage for the memory was set to 1.8V, but the memory needed 2.1V.  Windows XP NEVER crashed with the voltage set too low.  Once I bumped up the voltage, I was able to use all 4GB of memory in Windows 7.
    lunes, 1 de febrero de 2010 20:15
  • hi Take one stick of RAM out. Thanks
    lunes, 1 de febrero de 2010 20:19
  • I had this problem as well, but I didn't try the memory trick or anything fancy.  I just took the disk out a few times, blasted the dvd rom with some air, cleaned the tray out nice and eventually it completed.  A simple piece of debris or slightest scratch can mess with things.  Remember the KISS thing, keep it simple stupid.

*edit - Sorry but I realized that I may have sounded like I was bashing the other tricks or comments.  I was not at all, I just wanted to make sure people tried the simple things before going straight for the technical stuff.  
    jueves, 25 de febrero de 2010 1:01
  • I just had this issue with a retail version of Windows 7, now that the RC is about to expire, I had to buy it. I never had an issue with the RC, it's what made me buy Windows 7. Upon installlation, it would give me the same error everyone else is receiving at 1% Expanding Windows Files. I tried slowing down my processor (because I have the Phenom x4 9600, the one with the TLB bug), I tried removing 2 sticks of ram ( I have 4 1gig sticks). I tried changing several different settings in BIOS, including slowing down the RAM and increasing the voltage to 2.05 (my RAM says 2.0v - 2.1v on it), and nothing worked. I saw someone in this thread stated their DVD drive's cable was slightly damaged and was the cause of the problem, so I tried the external USB DVD burner that I picked up at a yard sale for $5 and not only did the install load faster but it actually installed the first try. Now I have to find out if the problem was with the drive itself, the cable, or the controller. Sorry for the run on post.
    viernes, 26 de febrero de 2010 7:16
  • It happen to me also. After I clean up disk space up to 16gig free, the problem solved. You must try it so. :)
    jueves, 13 de mayo de 2010 8:53
  • I ran into a similar problem when installing on a VirtualBox VM directly from the ISO. The solution for me was to chance the emulated IDE controller to PIIX3 and disabled host caching.
    martes, 9 de noviembre de 2010 15:00
  • Definitely appears to be a memory issue.

Around 10 to 15 installation attempts; all failed at random %'s with the above error code. Tried a mem test, a hard drive test and even a CPU burn-in test, with no problems. Also changed the optical drive and hard drive, but still no joy.

Decided to try obog's idea of removing a couple of memory modules, and much to my surpirse (and sanity) it worked!?!?

Hope this helps.

martes, 11 de enero de 2011 17:15
  • Definitely appears to be a memory issue.

Around 10 to 15 installation attempts; all failed at random %'s with the above error code. Tried a mem test, a hard drive test and even a CPU burn-in test, with no problems. Also changed the optical drive and hard drive, but still no joy.

Decided to try obog's idea of removing a couple of memory modules, and much to my surpirse (and sanity) it worked!?!?

Hope this helps.

I can't believe it but I had both media and memory issue. First expanding files reported another error code at 15%. I then removed one memory stick and I thought I had solved it. Then it reported this error at 98%. I almost lost it :-) I then downloaded the image again and remade my bootable usb drive and then it worked! What a day.
    martes, 18 de enero de 2011 20:19
  • I had same issue and discovered memory issue also. But what it really is that windows 7 requires that all memory be the same. I had (3) 1gb sticks and (1) 512 mb stick and it worked fine with XP. Removed 512 and install worked fine.

viernes, 25 de marzo de 2011 19:07
  • SOLUTION IS HERE!!!!!!!!!

JUST RE-BURN YOUR WINDOW IMAGE FILE TO NEW DVD

THEN REFORMAT ITS AGAIN

THATS ITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GUD LUCK BRO

jueves, 9 de junio de 2011 14:22
  • My fix: 1. Removed DVD 2. wiped smudge from DVD 3. reinserted DVD 4. completed install 5. beat self about head and neck with a 2x4. apparently the installer isn't big on CRC checks after file copies. Still, silly me. Failing this, re-burning would have probably been the next step. Removing / rearranging / severely chastising the RAM had no effect on the issue.
    lunes, 20 de junio de 2011 17:26
  • Problems can be:

First and most common : U are using PATA CDROM (paralel -ATA),   -  remove it and install SATA Cdrom .

;Problem is when mainboard have PATA+SATA ,then Pata have I/O problem in installation.

Memory problem: - If u are using more than one stick ,remove all but one .

- Run memtest (hiren boot cd) and ensure that Ram is ok.

loza
    • Editado Luka1002 viernes, 8 de julio de 2011 10:47 update
    viernes, 8 de julio de 2011 10:45
  • I solved my problem as well
    had 6GB of RAM, 4GB removed the chip and managed to install windows 7
    it does not recognize two memory modules.
    I have helped a hug to all friends..

Marcelo Moreira
    domingo, 25 de septiembre de 2011 15:35
  • I solved my problem with help of you guys also. In my original desktop configuration i bought CORSAIR Value DDR3 (4GB,1333MHz ) CL9 RAM memory, and also everytime I got error on installing win 7 x64 when expanding files. So I started to check everything here is the chronological order of what I did [BTW I lost 3 days on, but at last it logical solution was the obvious one]:

1. Put in Win XP CD and delete all the partitions on disk, formated disk not with quick erase but full format, no errors on disk at last win xp installation come as clean as it could be with no problems

2. Next I formated disk again, and installed Vista x84 with no problems

3. I tried manually configuring latency on RAM, also didn't finished

4. Put Win7 installation on USB flash memory, boot up from usb, now I got somewhere on installation with expanding files process I got to unbelievable 41%, then it crashed again.

5. Downloaded MemTestx86 bootable ISO, run the test with my CORSAIR RAM, Memory passed the test after 23 minutes, pretty long but it passed the test

At least and far by last,

Went to my friend that has hardware store and he borrowed me new 2 gb DDR3 Kingmax RAM. Put it back in installation was finished in 15 minutes. Pulled back out KINGMAX RAM and put back my CORSAIR RAM, system booted up with no problem just to remebemr I installed Win 7 x64 no SP1 included.

Thanks to all guys here. Hopefully this will also help someone. Cheers.

viernes, 16 de diciembre de 2011 12:53
  • "matija baric" wrote in message news:346d1a45-eff2-44cb-ace0-0ae3f2375c35...

5. Downloaded MemTestx86 bootable ISO, run the test with my CORSAIR RAM, Memory passed the test after 23 minutes, pretty long but it passed the test

Cheers.

The normal recommendation is to run a number of passes with MemTest86+ (which version did you use?) – not just one or two. It should generally be left to run for at least one hour, if not 4.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    viernes, 16 de diciembre de 2011 13:08
  • I tried MemTest86+ from here... http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20/memtest86+-4.20.usb.installer.zip

I ran first test for 23 minutes, 1 test passed, then underneath said press ESC and I quitted the test, so I didn't let the test finish. will try Noel tnx.

sábado, 17 de diciembre de 2011 19:55
  • Hi guys,

I took Noel's advice, and run above mentioned test for 4 hours just to be certain, and as Noel suggested it bringed up 4 errors of bad sectors, here's the picture of my memtest.

http://hypnotikradio.com/image/Upload/images/pc190006.jpg

Tnx Noel again, now I can hopefully return bad memory and get good one. 

• Editado matija baric domingo, 18 de diciembre de 2011 9:37
    domingo, 18 de diciembre de 2011 9:36
  • "matija baric" wrote in message news:d5d0ee42-1822-4ea9-ae31-542eda2c910f...

Hi guys,

I took Noel's advice, and run above mentioned test for 4 hours just to be certain, and as Noel suggested it bringed up 4 errors of bad sectors, here's the picture of my memtest.

http://hypnotikradio.com/image/Upload/images/pc190006.jpg

Tnx Noel again, now I can hopefully return bad memory and get good one.

Glad it showed up the problem – hopefully it’s under warranty?

Good Luck.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    domingo, 18 de diciembre de 2011 10:34
  • I had this issue in 2 days with 2 completely unrelated computers. Blew my mind. I burned both DVDs using the same ISO in 2 different locations BOTH using Windows native ISO burning solution (right click ISO file - Burn disc image)

Tried the memory thing with no luck. Burned another disc using DVD decrypter and i copied the file locally instead of burning it over the network like last time.   Worked like a charm.

If all else fails reburn your ISO using a different method

http://www.ORCradio.com
    jueves, 22 de diciembre de 2011 5:41

Wish I found these comments first. Just spent 3 days loading and reloading various windows operating systems, new hard drives various Windows 7 dvd's. and it was simply remove the memory & try again. Took 2 attempts to succeed but it worked.

Well done all & thanks for showing us novices how it's done

miércoles, 8 de febrero de 2012 15:49
  • During a Win7 64 Pro Repair Install, I could not get past "Gathering files, settings and programs" even after several attempts.  Each attempt took about an hour so it was torturous.  After I used MSCONFIG to uncheck all non-Microsoft Services and uncheck all Startup programs, the Repair Install made it to "Expanding files."  Unfortunately, after 3 attempts, each taking over an hour, it still would not complete this step.

I removed my 4 - 4 GB Corsair CML16GX3M4A16000C9 sticks and replaced them with 2 - 2 GB Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 sticks.  The Reinstall finally completed on the first attempt with no problems (after trying for over 16 hours).  I tested all 6 sticks before I used them with at least 3 passes with MemTest4a so I know they're OK.  When I get a chance, I will test the 16 GB kit again by running the test all night.

I believe there is something wrong with the Microsoft Windows 7 64 Pro install program.  I think there is something wrong with the installer's memory handler when it goes above a certain limit, probably 4 GB.  I am sure there are many cases where the user's RAM is defective.  However, since I already tested my Corsair RAM and Corsair makes high quality RAM, this is not the case here.  Finally, WHY is Microsoft's "Expanding files" step so incredibly sloooowww???  I have an Intel i7 870 and a 7200 RPM SATA drive.  WHY does Microsoft's "Expanding files" step take so looooonnnggg to complete?  I didn't time it, but I think it took over an HOUR!!!  WHAT is it doing???!!!

sábado, 25 de febrero de 2012 9:04

+1 to this - I had the exact same problem, I removed my single 4GB ddr3 and replaced with 2 x other 4gb ddr3 (total of 8gb) and all works perfectly - I think it is a bad DIMM and returning today. I won't get those 12 hours of my life back!

Tags;

Windows 7 x64

Gigabyte GA-970A-D3

Error at "Expanding Files": Windows cannot install required files. 0x80070570

jueves, 28 de junio de 2012 23:34
  • Same...bad DDR2 memory chip.
    martes, 11 de diciembre de 2012 3:18
  • I'm just here to thank you guys, and confirm that removing a memory fixed it. It's not a faulty memory. it's just a compatibility problem with Win7
    domingo, 27 de octubre de 2013 9:51
  • Thanks frnd
    viernes, 15 de noviembre de 2013 7:53
  • You need to go into the BIOS and DISABLE the 'Execute Disable Bit' option. It
    should work then.

viernes, 11 de abril de 2014 14:22
  • After 5 years why is it that windows 7 is still getting stuck and then fails
    to install altogether while expanding windows files? There are no issued
    messages, no error codes not even a suggestion of what went wrong other than
    "Install Windows : Windows cannot install required files. The files may be
    corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available
    and restart the installation. Error Code 0x80070570. Any changes that were made
    to your computer during the installation process will not be saved." There are
    No log files saved. It just rolls over and falls on its back and dies. How are
    users supposed to know what to do? It seems as though ram disk space was under
    allocated. As can be seen on many postings when users temporarily remove ram the
    install will proceed. Perhaps removing ram is causing the ram disc allocation to
    be expanded. During the install users have no control over what file are
    available in the iso downloads from mstf.digitalrivercontent.net. Can someone at
    Microsoft please fix the problem with the iso installers Windows 7 Home Premium
    64Bit: http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-58997.iso   SHA1 Hash value: 6C9058389C1E2E5122B7C933275F963EDF1C07B9 and  Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit: http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-59465.iso SHA1 Hash value: 36AE90DEFBAD9D9539E649B193AE573B77A71C83?  For a while the digital river files had been fixed but it seems there were over written and the corrections were lost.

• Editado Alan Hitchner viernes, 6 de junio de 2014 9:31 Windows 7 Install Fails
    viernes, 6 de junio de 2014 8:58
  • I do a dual install and all I had to do was switch from the 64 bit to the 32 bit or vise versa. Windows can be very picky.

-LinuxLover

sábado, 6 de junio de 2015 17:20
  • I know this is 7 years later but DUDE! your answer seems to have fixed my problem.

I have NEVER (been at this for 20 yrs) had this issue. Mem probs were always obvious.

As soon as I switched the chips around Win 7 started installing.

Thanks ever so much! If you're ever in the Sidney, NE area ask for me, Lupe, most folks know me

and I'll buy ur dinner or a beer or a scotch...

God bless you and yours in all you do!

Lupe

sábado, 23 de julio de 2016 21:29
  • Jesus, this is obvious. I'm trying to understand EFI,UEFI and GPT concepts around here...

Helping improve public services through Information and Communication Technology

domingo, 31 de diciembre de 2017 5:00
  • Hi There,

I have the same problem. The expanding files crashes at 15% every single time. I removed and changed all ram dimms. 

I have been trying to download a new iso but the ms page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows7 always shows a Error with your request.

This is CRAZY. Could anybody let me know if there is anything else to try?

I checked that the BIOS has the proper 1.5V for each dimm as well. I tried your links to download a new iso files but the links do not work any more. I tried to contact microsoft about this and there is no response.

I am getting desperated... and extremely frustrated. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

miércoles, 4 de julio de 2018 3:11