Re-assign existing mailbox to new user

Question

• Please forgive me if there's an obvious answer to this, but is there an easy way to re-assign an existing mailbox from one user (who has left employ) to another?

Thanks for any help

Russell.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 10:52 AM

Answers

• On your exchange server open "AD users and computers" [start->run and then type dsa.msc and press enter] and then locate your user and right click on the user and select disable. It will disable the exchange mailbox.

Regards,

Laeeq Qazi|Team Lead(Exchange + Sharepoint + BES + DynamicsCRM) www.HostingController.com
    • Marked as answer by StopGap Tuesday, May 25, 2010 1:10 PM
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 1:07 PM

All replies

• Has the other user an existing exchange mailbox?

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 11:01 AM
  • Please forgive me if there's an obvious answer to this, but is there an easy way to re-assign an existing mailbox from one user (who has left employ) to another?

Thanks for any help

Russell.

What exchange version do u have?

This is for Ex2007/2010

1. Disable the existing mailbox using EMC->Recipient Configuration

now this disabled mailbox will appear in EMC->Disconnected Mailbox

2. Enable the disabled mailbox using Connect button on right Action page, which will initiate a new wizard. There you will have to connect this mailbox with the 2nd user.

Regards,

Laeeq Qazi|Team Lead(Exchange + Sharepoint + BES + DynamicsCRM) www.HostingController.com
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 11:26 AM
  • Sorry - should have included that - Exchange 2003 / SBS 2003. The new user has not yet been created. Will your suggested approach work for 2003? Thanks again
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 12:12 PM
  • Hi,

No problem, same approach will work in Exchange 2003 ESM. Do create the new user in AD.

Regards,

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 12:27 PM
  • I'm sorry, but I've looked around ESM and cannot find anything about disabling a mailbox or "recipient configuration"? Is it perhaps located elsewhere in 2003? Thansk again Russell.
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 12:58 PM
  • On your exchange server open "AD users and computers" [start->run and then type dsa.msc and press enter] and then locate your user and right click on the user and select disable. It will disable the exchange mailbox.

Regards,

• Marked as answer by StopGap Tuesday, May 25, 2010 1:10 PM
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 1:07 PM
  • Thanks a lot for your help - I actually just discovered an article that explains it. Cheers Russell
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 1:09 PM
  • Hello StopGap, do you mind if you sahre this article as I am looking for this solution too. Regards

Daniel

Saturday, May 14, 2011 2:50 PM