Cross-Forest Migration of Distribution Groups RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am working on an interforest migration of Active Directory and also migrating away from Exchange 2003 in the old forest to Exchange 2007 in the new forest.

I am using ADMT v3.1 to migrate users and security groups out of the source forest to the destination forest.  I originally thought ADMT would be a good solution for distribution groups as well, but have recently learned that it does not migrate any Exchange attributes.  In addition to that, I'm not sure that I even need to migrate Exchange attributes since I have a new Exchange server sitting in a different forest on the other side.

I wanted to get some advice on how to handle this.  I used CSVDE to migrate my contacts, should I do something similar for distribution groups or does someone have a better solution based on their experience?

Thanks in advance for the response and for a great forum.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 5:05 PM

Answers

• 
    Really?  I have used ADMT and it's worked just fine for groups.
    --
    Ed Crowley MVP
    "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    "heatfan2010" wrote in message news:0252068c-553f-4e8a-b68b-8aa083373331...
    Hi, I am working on an interforest migration of Active Directory and also migrating away from Exchange 2003 in the old forest to Exchange 2007 in the new forest.

I am using ADMT v3.1 to migrate users and security groups out of the source forest to the destination forest.  I originally thought ADMT would be a good solution for distribution groups as well, but have recently learned that it does not migrate any Exchange attributes.  In addition to that, I'm not sure that I even need to migrate Exchange attributes since I have a new Exchange server sitting in a different forest on the other side.

I wanted to get some advice on how to handle this.  I used CSVDE to migrate my contacts, should I do something similar for distribution groups or does someone have a better solution based on their experience?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    • Marked as answer by heatfan2010 Thursday, March 11, 2010 7:56 PM
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 3:04 AM
  • Hi-

You're correct it won't move the Exchange attributes by default however you can easily remove this. The steps are described in the ADMT walk-through guide (I don't remember offhand). You're better served to just move the groups with membership and then Exchange enable them on the new domain though IMO.
    Active Directory, 4th Edition - www.briandesmond.com/ad4/
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 3:20 AM

All replies

• 
    Really?  I have used ADMT and it's worked just fine for groups.
    --
    Ed Crowley MVP
    "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    "heatfan2010" wrote in message news:0252068c-553f-4e8a-b68b-8aa083373331...
    Hi, I am working on an interforest migration of Active Directory and also migrating away from Exchange 2003 in the old forest to Exchange 2007 in the new forest.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 3:04 AM
  • Hi-

You're correct it won't move the Exchange attributes by default however you can easily remove this. The steps are described in the ADMT walk-through guide (I don't remember offhand). You're better served to just move the groups with membership and then Exchange enable them on the new domain though IMO.
    Active Directory, 4th Edition - www.briandesmond.com/ad4/
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 3:20 AM
  • I have about 100 distribution groups, so is there a way via PowerShell to Exchange enable all of them at one time?

Thursday, March 11, 2010 4:03 AM
  • Hi,

The ADMT is the best tool to do this operation. Of course, you can also use the LDIFIE to do this migration.

1. ldifde -f export.ldf -d "cn=<distribution group>,cn=<OU>,dc=lab,dc=com" -l member -s <Server>

<Distribution Group> = The distribution group you want to export
    <OU> = The OU the above Distribution Group is located
    <Server> = The DC where you want to perform the search on

2. Copy the output file (export.ldf) to the destination DC/forest
    3. Make sure the empty Distribution Group has already been created on the desination DC/Forest
    4. Open export.ldf with Notepad and change the CN=Email (Name of the Source Distribution Group) to CN=<Destination Distribution Group>
    5. Perform a Replace Search and replace DC=lab,DC=COM with DC=CORP,DC=lab1,DC=COM (should replace all instances)
    6. Change Changetype: modify to Changetype: add
    7. Also add "Add: member" (without quotes) under Changetype
    8. At the end of the file, add - (minus sign)

Thanks

Allen

Thursday, March 11, 2010 6:52 AM
  • This appears to work in order to take input of DN from a CSV and mail-enable all of them:

Add-PSSnapin Microsoft.Exchange.Management.PowerShell.Admin -ea 0

$aryGroup= Import-Csv -Path E:\Scripts\dg_mailenable.csv

foreach($strGroup in $aryGroup)
    {
                    Enable-DistributionGroup -Identity $strGroup.GroupName | Out-File E:\Scripts\results.txt -Append
    }

Gotta Love PowerShell!

Thanks to Brian and Ed for reminding me that I can get the group over via ADMT, even if it's a distribution group.

Thursday, March 11, 2010 7:56 PM
  • Hi ,

Can you send me the steps?

Thanks,

AS

Thursday, April 12, 2012 2:26 AM
  • Hi,

Can you step me through with above script?

AS

Sunday, June 3, 2012 1:00 PM