Exchange 2010 error message when creating new database RRS feed

• Question

• We have a couple new 2010 Exchange servers in our organization.  One is setup to physically store the mail database, and the other acts to configure the organization.  This setup was migrated from Exchange 2003.  Everything went well during the migration and all mailboxes have migrated except for one vendor mailbox.  Exchange has been functioning properly, but when we try to create a new databasae in Exchange 2010, we get this error:

----------
    Error:
    Active Directory operation failed on "older AD server". This error is not retriable. Additional information: The name reference is invalid.
    This may be caused by replication latency between Active Directory domain controllers.
    Active directory response: 000020B5: AtrErr: DSID-03152392, #1:
     0: 000020B5: DSID-03152392, problem 1005 (CONSTRAINT_ATT_TYPE), data 0, Att 200f4 (homeMDB)

A value in the request is invalid.
    -------------
    The older AD server that is listed is still in the network, but will be removed in the future.  We have a newer 2008 DC that is the FSMO role holder.  I've tried running the set-ADServerSettings -PreferredServer command using the newer DC name on both 2010 Exchange servers, and it goes through, but once you close the Exchange console and open back up, it just reverts back to the older DC settings that were originally in there.
    When all is said and done, even with the error, the new database can be mounted.  I just want to know if this functionality should be worth fixing before we decomission the older AD servers and 2003 Exchange box?  Are they serious errors, or just warnings that aren't worth too much attention?  If the issue needs fixed, is there a way to get the set-AdServerSettings command to stick?
    Monday, January 17, 2011 7:27 PM

Answers

• Re read your post and realized I needed to edit my post.

I would check the DC's to make sure they are healthy and replication is occuring without issues.

run DCDiag from the exchange server with a /s:DCName and verify it can talk to the DCs without issue.

Check the logs on the Exchange server for AD topology errors.

I have seen the creation supposedly fail but it still create the DB then after a little bit we can mount the DB. I have always found that to be a DC replication or communication issue.

Chris Morgan

• Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Wednesday, January 26, 2011 1:45 AM
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 7:29 PM
  • Hi,

From the error I feel it looks like a permission issue .. Could you try & run EXBPA ..

Also please do run a DCDIAG & NETDIAG in verbose mode from the member exchange server too

It may let us know if there is any replication latency or permission issue too ..

Also check the permissions the account has which is trying to mount the database !!

• Proposed as answer by Utkarsh K Wednesday, January 19, 2011 4:05 PM
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 4:04 PM
  • Hi Adfisher,

How about your question now? Any updates?

Please also see this similar post:

Cannot create new mailbox database on exchange 2010

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchange2010/thread/bfd1bb56-5405-45ad-a6f6-f358ea249857/

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, January 24, 2011 7:47 AM

All replies

• I am assuming the creation is successful but the mounting of the DB is what fails with the above error right? If so this happens in environments where replication is either having issues or there is a lot of replication traffic occuring. If you can mount the DB later without an issue then it's fine. Rather than forcing to set to a certain server you should exclude the DC you dont want. You can do this with the set-exchangeserver cmdlet with the StaticExcludedDomainControllers parameter.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123716.aspx

Chris Morgan
    Monday, January 17, 2011 7:44 PM
  • Actually, the error message appears during the creation of the database.  It says that the creation failed, and then that error message pops up.  But when you refresh the databases the new database does show up as dismounted.  Then when you go to mount the database, you get the error below.  Is there any possiblity that the issue has to do with the fact that different DCs show up when running the get-adserversettings | fl command on each Exchange 2010 server?

Failed to mount database 'test'.

test
    Failed
    Error:
    Couldn't mount the database that you specified. Specified database: test; Error code: An Active Manager operation failed. Error: The database action failed. Error: Operation failed with message: MapiExceptionNotFound: Unable to mount database. (hr=0x8004010f, ec=-2147221233)

An Active Manager operation failed. Error: The database action failed. Error: Operation failed with message: MapiExceptionNotFound: Unable to mount database. (hr=0x8004010f, ec=-2147221233)

An Active Manager operation failed. Error: Operation failed with message: MapiExceptionNotFound: Unable to mount database. (hr=0x8004010f, ec=-2147221233)
     MapiExceptionNotFound: Unable to mount database. (hr=0x8004010f, ec=-2147221233)

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 2:56 PM
  • Re read your post and realized I needed to edit my post.

I would check the DC's to make sure they are healthy and replication is occuring without issues.

run DCDiag from the exchange server with a /s:DCName and verify it can talk to the DCs without issue.

Check the logs on the Exchange server for AD topology errors.

I have seen the creation supposedly fail but it still create the DB then after a little bit we can mount the DB. I have always found that to be a DC replication or communication issue.

Chris Morgan

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 7:29 PM
  • Hi,

From the error I feel it looks like a permission issue .. Could you try & run EXBPA ..

Also please do run a DCDIAG & NETDIAG in verbose mode from the member exchange server too

It may let us know if there is any replication latency or permission issue too ..

Also check the permissions the account has which is trying to mount the database !!

• Proposed as answer by Utkarsh K Wednesday, January 19, 2011 4:05 PM
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 4:04 PM
  • Hi Adfisher,

How about your question now? Any updates?

Please also see this similar post:

Cannot create new mailbox database on exchange 2010

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchange2010/thread/bfd1bb56-5405-45ad-a6f6-f358ea249857/

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, January 24, 2011 7:47 AM
  • Problem with specifying the DC (as they suggest in the article) is if that DC goes down you are hosed. I would make sure there is at least two specified.
    Chris Morgan
    Monday, January 24, 2011 2:40 PM