Turning off and on client machines RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm running Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7 Enterprise both 64bit version in Virtual Box.

I want to try the Wake On Lan feature to turn off and then on the Win7 machine from the server machine.

But on the Win7 machine I can't enable the feature from the network device (I can't check the box).

Is that something limited by running it on the Virtual Box?

Or how can I try to turn off and on the client machine from server not using WOL?

Thanks for any help.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 4:25 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Just addition, please refer to following script and chekc if it help you to ahieve the target.

Wake On Lan

If anything I misunderstand or any update, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

• Proposed as answer by Justin Gu Sunday, November 30, 2014 1:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by Justin Gu Tuesday, December 2, 2014 12:19 PM
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 6:15 AM

All replies

• From what I can find, WOL is not supported by VirtualBox.

If you'd like to remotely restart or shut down the computer, you can use the Shutdown command from command prompt, or if you run Shutdown -i, you will be given a GUI for the shutdown application.

Hope this helps..

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 5:27 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

So if I run my server on Virtual Box and try to turn my desktop (real PC) on and off how can I do that?

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 6:06 PM
  • Hi,

Just addition, please refer to following script and chekc if it help you to ahieve the target.

Wake On Lan

If anything I misunderstand or any update, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

• Proposed as answer by Justin Gu Sunday, November 30, 2014 1:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by Justin Gu Tuesday, December 2, 2014 12:19 PM
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 6:15 AM