error creating a cluster quroum RRS feed

• Question

• hi there
    im trying to create a file share quroum for my cluster t start the deployment of active/passive mailbox but im recevinig the following error :

An error was encountered while modifying the quorum settings. There was an error configuring the file share witness '\\EXHCCR1\MBX'. Your cluster quorum settings have not been changed. There was an error configuring the file share witness '\\EXHCCR1\MBX'. Your cluster quorum settings have not been changed. Unable to save property changes for 'File Share Witness (\\EXHCCR1\MBX)'. File share associated with file share witness resource cannot be hosted by this cluster or any of its nodes.

i used the fllowing to configure it :

Configuring the File Share Majority Quorum

We must now configure the failover cluster quorum. That is, create the file share on a separate server (best practice is to use a Hub Transport server in the same AD site as the failover cluster nodes). To do so, log on to the server in your lab environment on which the Client Access and Hub Transport server roles are installed, then open a command prompt and create a new folder by typing:

MKDIR FSM_DIR_MBX

Where MBX is the name you plan to use for the clustered mailbox server. It does not really matter what you call it but in case you plan to use a Hub Transport server as file share majority quorum for multiple CCR clusters, it is a good idea to use the name that you also dedicate to the CMS):

Now share the newly created folder using the following command:

NET SHARE FSM_MBX=C:\FSM_DIR_MBX /GRANT:CCRCLUSTER$,FULL

Note that only the Windows 2008 failover cluster account gets permissions to access this share. Also notice that the failover cluster machine account is hidden, meaning you must add a “$” sign after the name.

Now configure the file system permissions with:

CACLS C:\FSM_DIR_MBX /G BUILTIN\Administrators:F CCRCLUSTER$:F

Figure 13: Creating and sharing the FSM folder

With the system file share created, we must configure the quorum settings for the failover cluster, so that they point to the share we just created. To do so, open the Failover Cluster Manager on one of the nodes, then click More Actions in the Action Pane, then select Configure Cluster Quorum Settings in the context menu (Figure 14).

Figure 14: Opening Configure Cluster Quorum Settings

In the Configure Cluster Quorum Wizard (Figure 15), click Next.

Figure 15: Before You Begin page in the Configure Cluster Quorum wizard

On the Select Quorum Configuration page, select Node and File Share Majority (for clusters with special configurations) and then click Next.

Figure 16: Selecting the appropriate quorum configuration for the failover cluster

We now need to specify the path to the shared folder created on the Hub Transport server. You can do this by typing in the path directly or by browsing to the shared folder by clicking the Browse button (Figure 17). When the respective path has been entered, we can click Next.

Figure 17: Entering the share folder path that should be used by the file share witness resource

This brings us to the Confirmation page where you have one more chance to verify that you configured the cluster quorum appropriately. If everything looks super duper, click Next and then Finish on the Summary page.

Figure 18: Confirmation page in the Configure Cluster Quorum Wizard

but still facing the same error , what to do please ? what is missing to make this cluster work fine

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:25 AM

Answers

• Your file share witness needs to be a computer which is not a member of the cluster.
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:28 PM

All replies

• forgot to mention that my nodes are exhccr1 and exhccr2 and the cluster name is ccrcluster

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:27 AM
  • Your file share witness needs to be a computer which is not a member of the cluster.
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:28 PM
  • aha , i c , ok in this case which Select Quorum Configuration will i choose?
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:32 PM
  • Node and File Share Majority. Both of the nodes are one vote and the FSW is another vote for quorum.
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:35 PM
  • ok ill give a try to change my configuration to check your solution :)
    thanks alot for your help
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:37 PM
  • thanks alot mn , its working fine :)
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 2:45 AM