none
Outlook 2007 Clients Pointed to Wrong Domain Name for Autodiscover

Question

• Hello all,

I am having a problem with multiple Outlook 2007 clients where they are being directed to the wrong domain for Autodiscover when launching Outlook 2007.

Users reside in Domain1

Exchange resides in domain2

When user is domain1 launches Outlook to configure a profile, they are directed to username@domain1, rather than username@domain2.  If you manually correct the email address, Autodiscover goes through and works fine.  Also please note that this functionality has been working without issue for about 3 years.  

That said, if i take a fresh machine and join it to domain1, this problem does not occur.  So, this leads me to believe something that has been added/removed/changed on the majority of our client machines is telling Outlook 2007 to look in the wrong domain name for Autodiscover.  However, after searching for a couple days now, we are still unable to figure out where the Outlook 2007 client could possibly be pulling this information.

I've tried using ProcExp to watch what Outlook might be doing when Autodiscover is launched, but I haven't found anything useful.

Edit:  I should also note that Autodiscover works fine for all of our external clients.

Thanks,

Nick

Nick Cozby
    Monday, December 20, 2010 4:32 PM

All replies

• Can you tell more about yours AD topology and Autodiscover SCP configuration? Is this single forest or multiple forests AD topology? Do you have (had?) any GPO's for Outlook configuration?
    Monday, December 20, 2010 10:19 PM
  • Hi,

From the issue description, this is not the Autodiscover issue but is Auto Detect mechanism of the Outlook.

Outlook looks up the Active Directory object for the user who is logged in, then extracts the primary SMTP address. Outlook performs this AD lookup using its own process not autodiscover.

Are the Domain1 and Domain2 in the same organization? When the user is in domain1, which domain does the user login into?

Thanks

Allen

Allen Song
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 8:42 AM
  • IMHO, Outlook looks up / uses the user's UPN
    Michel de Rooij,
    MCITP Ent.Msg 2007+2010| MCTS W2008, Ex2007+2010 Conf, OCS2007 Conf | MCSE+Msg2k3 | MCSE+Inet2k3 | Prince2 Fnd | ITIL
    I blog on http://eightwone.wordpress.com/ and tweet on http://twitter.com/mderooij
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 11:17 AM
  • In this scenario

Users reside in Domain1

Exchange resides in domain2

We need to check Domain1 MX record is updated for Domain2 exchange. Is there DNS forwarders set for Domain2? The server can ping the servers in Domain1 and Domain2. All required ports are open.

Thursday, March 31, 2011 11:25 AM
  • Nick,

I have been experiencing the same problem.  Did you ever resolve it?

John

Friday, May 06, 2011 12:52 PM