Remove Database availblity Group Member from DAG RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

What is the difference between the below two commands. (Configuration Only)

Remove-DatabaseAvailabilityGroupServer -Identity DAG1 -MailboxServer MBX1

Remove-DatabaseAvailabilityGroupServer -Identity DAG2 -MailboxServer MBX4 -ConfigurationOnly

Can i remove the member server from DAG when the server is shutdown. If Yes, Which command should i use. Can i re-add the member server again in to dag without any issues ? Please let me know the steps.
    • Changed type wendy_liu Thursday, August 16, 2012 3:06 AM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 7:47 AM

Answers

• yes you should be able to re-add the member server again.

Kind Regards

DareDevil57

• Proposed as answer by wendy_liu Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by wendy_liu Wednesday, August 22, 2012 8:52 AM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd297956.aspx

The ConfigurationOnly parameter should only be used if the Mailbox server has been lost and can no longer be contacted, or in situations when the Mailbox server will not be restored to operational service before the messaging service is needed. When used, it removes the Mailbox server from the DAG object in Active Directory. If the Mailbox server is offline but the DAG has quorum, the Mailbox server will be evicted from the DAG's cluster and removed from the DAG object in Active Directory.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. My blog:http://msibrahim.wordpress.com/

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:10 AM
  • Hi

ConfigurationOnly - The ConfigurationOnly parameter should only be used if the Mailbox server has been lost and can no longer be contacted, or in situations when the Mailbox server will not be restored to operational service before the messaging service is needed. When used, it removes the Mailbox server from the DAG object in Active Directory. If the Mailbox server is offline but the DAG has quorum, the Mailbox server will be evicted from the DAG's cluster and removed from the DAG object in Active Directory.

The Remove-DatabaseAvailabilityGroupServer cmdlet to remove a Mailbox server from a database availability group (DAG). To remove a Mailbox server from a DAG, the Mailbox server must not host any replicated mailbox databases.

Ref below:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd297956.aspx

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:12 AM
  • Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:14 AM
  • Thanks for your update.

Can i re-add the member server again in to dag without any issues after remove the server from dag?

Regarda

Manoj

Thursday, August 16, 2012 2:22 AM
  • yes you should be able to re-add the member server again.

Kind Regards

DareDevil57

• Proposed as answer by wendy_liu Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by wendy_liu Wednesday, August 22, 2012 8:52 AM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:30 AM