none
#550 5.2.0 RESOLVER.CON.NoTarget; contact's external address is missing ##

Question

• Hi Friends ,

Would like to discuss one issue , That is: We  just have a AD contact which have email address stamped.  whenever we send an email to  above address we got NDR stating "#550 5.2.0 RESOLVER.CON.NoTarget; contact's external address is missing ##".
    I know the solution that is we need to create "Mail contact" to stamp external address.

But My question is why EXCHANGE SERVERS taking a AD Contact email address to route emails though there is no "Mail contact of Exchange object" ?

Exchange version :  Exchange 2010 sp3 UR15

OS version : Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise.

AD version : Windows 2012 R2

Shyam

• Changed type Shyam89 Monday, March 06, 2017 6:40 AM
    Friday, March 03, 2017 10:31 AM

Answers

• Ed, Found out the root cause.   In ADSI we have 2 attribute . 1 is called "Mail"  and Another 1 called "Proxy address".

So when they create AD contact and stamp email address. It should just update "Mail" attribute field, Not a "Proxy address" attribute.

In our team they updated "Proxy address" attribute manually for AD contact to make that contact to visible in GAL.So that Made Exchange to consider a AD contact is a Mail-contact.

Shyam

• Marked as answer by Shyam89 Monday, March 20, 2017 7:10 AM
    Friday, March 17, 2017 7:33 AM
  • That's exactly what I've been trying to tell you.  Exchange doesn't really use "mail" for anything, and certainly not mail routing.  You should not be populating the proxyAddress attribute manually, instead you should use Enable-MailContact to properly make it a mail contact if you want it to show up in the GAL.

Please feel free to mark responses as the answer and/or vote them as helpful as appropriate.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

• Marked as answer by Shyam89 Monday, March 20, 2017 7:11 AM
    Saturday, March 18, 2017 1:44 AM

All replies

• You are probably talking about Mail Enabled contacts, The contact within the AD is just a repository information, If you mail-enable it & add to your GAL, You would need the external address.

Regards,

Fazal

Friday, March 03, 2017 4:49 PM
  • If it's Mail enabled Contacts,It should have external address stamped already right..But that is not the case here, I have to manually stamp external address using EMC/EMS to resolve the recipient address conflict to get mail delivery.

What I observed is , When creating AD contact it doesn't provide option to enter email address, it just provides first,last,display name. After contact creation done and opening the properties of Contact there is a Email Address option. may be they entering Email address manually there and that's creating conflict and Exchange taking that as a mail enabled contact object and whenever mail send to that address exchange rejecting because there is no external address exist.

So My question is Why Exchange considering AD contact with Email address as a Mail-Enabled Contact Object  and Rejecting emails because there is external address not specified through EMC/EMS?

Shyam

• Edited by Shyam89 Monday, March 06, 2017 7:34 AM
    Monday, March 06, 2017 6:50 AM
  • Hi Shyam,

Could you please capture a screenshot of the contact email address option you mentioned above? Does it seems like as below?

Contact Object: Contains contact info about any person associated with the organization like a supplier’s telephone number, mail address etc. For example an organization might want to store details of people who are not directly associated with the organization such as people who help in network maintenance or suppliers etc. These people usually do not need to be given access to AD; only their details need to be stored which in this case is their name and contact information, this can be done using a contact object.

So we need to mailenable this object with the following command:

Enable-MailContact -Identity alda -ExternalEmailAddress test@163.com

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 07, 2017 6:42 AM
  • Hi Jason ,

I agree contact can be used to store email address,phone number ....etc.  But when sending email to to that address, why exchange looks for external address stamped through EMC/EMS for that AD contact.  Why can't exchange simply send email to that address using * address space send connector .

Shyam

Tuesday, March 07, 2017 7:11 AM
  • It would if your contact were configured properly.  But since you didn't share how the contact is configured, we can tell you why it's not working.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Tuesday, March 07, 2017 7:49 AM
  • The screenshot which provided by Jason is similar to mine. However here you go:

Shyam

Tuesday, March 07, 2017 8:12 AM
  • Is it a mail contact?  What do you see in the Exchange System Manager (assuming you have Exchange 2010 since you posted in the Exchange 2010 forum)?  There should be E-mail addresses and a target or remote routing address.  The latter would appear to be missing based on what you posted earlier.

Tuesday, March 07, 2017 9:19 PM
  • Ed, It's just a AD Contact . In other words ,It's just a Repository which stores user first name, telephone number, Email address .. It will not be visible in EMC .

My Question , Why Exchange going into AD Contact repository to fetch the email address and route the email when there is no Mail contact object ?

Shyam

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 7:13 AM
  • They don't do anything.  Mail-enable it if you want to use it for Exchange purposes.  It could be that you have a partially configured mail contact for that object.  Use Get-MailContact to see what Exchange thinks is present for that object.

Thursday, March 09, 2017 2:24 AM
  • ED, I don't want to use it for Exchange purpose. But Exchange using that AD contact email address forcefully, It looks to me it's hard-coded.

How do you expect just a AD contact to be available through "Get-Mailcontact" command.

Shyam

Thursday, March 09, 2017 8:54 AM
  • If it's not mail enabled, we can't get it with command get-mailcontact but get-contact, it just a AD contact.

After we run the following command:

Enable-MailContact -Identity balu -ExternalEmailAddress <external address>

Then we can get it with the command get-mailcontact.

Regards,

Jason Chao

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 09, 2017 9:44 AM
  • Agree with you Jason But I don't want to run Enable-mailContact.
    So could you please explain how the mail will goto that AD contact email id ?

Shyam

• Edited by Shyam89 Thursday, March 09, 2017 1:42 PM
    Thursday, March 09, 2017 11:33 AM
  • Run Disable-MailContact.

Friday, March 10, 2017 2:49 AM
  • Ed, You are understanding the Point here.

My final Question to you is:

could you please explain how the mail will go to the AD contact email id where there is no Mail contact object for that Ad contact ?

Shyam

Friday, March 10, 2017 7:26 AM
  • Thanks for your response.

Mail-enabled contacts are Active Directory objects that point to someone outside our ORG that we want to communicate with such as users of different email system within the same company or users in external company that we do business with. Contacts have SMTP email address and appear in the GAL. Providing that you know the email address of contact, creating it through EMS is trivial.

Since it’s not mail enabled, so you got the error messages.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Jason Chao

• Marked as answer by Shyam89 Tuesday, March 14, 2017 8:02 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Shyam89 Tuesday, March 14, 2017 9:05 AM
    Friday, March 10, 2017 8:41 AM
  • Thank you Jason for the explanation , So Our Mail system that is Exchange must have Mail-enabled contact to deliver email to Just an AD contact with Email address stamped.

Shyam

Friday, March 10, 2017 11:32 AM
  • I suggested you use Disable-MailContact because you might have a partially configured mail contact that you don't see in the tools but has properties that makes it look like it's mail-enabled to some components.

Friday, March 10, 2017 11:36 PM
  • Ed, In Corporate world AD team and Exchange team is different. So Exchange team doesn't creates AD contact  and AD team have rights to Stamp Email address in the AD contact.

So It's our Exchange design which considering AD contact also Mail contact.
    Going further we educated to AD team that if they want  email to delivery to that AD contact , Before stamping email address, check with Exchange team, so that we create Mail-contact object in Exchange to make sure email get delivery.

Shyam

Monday, March 13, 2017 6:45 AM
  • You are missing the point.  I won't explain it again after this time.

As far as Exchange is concerned, non-mail-enabled contacts do not exist.  They may appear in AD, but Exchange ignores them.  The error you are citing suggests to me that you have a contact that has some but not all of the required attributes that make it mail-enabled.

Mail-disable that contact to remove any of the attributes that might be confusing Exchange.  If you want it mail-enabled, then mail-enable it again and it should then be correct.  If you don't want it mail-enabled, then don't mail enable it.

Monday, March 13, 2017 11:33 AM
  • Ed, Mail-disable is not a valid command and also I tried running "disable-mailcontact" in exchange powershell ,it thrown error saying Object not found.

Shyam

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 9:07 AM
  • Look in the attribute editor, filter only on attributes that are present, and look for any Exchange attributes that might be set.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 3:12 AM
  • Yes, It's using "Proxy Address" Attribute.

Shyam

Thursday, March 16, 2017 10:54 AM
  • Clear that attribute.

Friday, March 17, 2017 6:32 AM
  • But that is not a Permanent solution.  In first place Exchange should not consider AD contact email-address.It's a Exchange Defect!

Shyam

Friday, March 17, 2017 6:33 AM
  • proxyAddresses is an Exchange attribute.  Don't use it for non-mail-enabled objects.  I'm sorry you don't like the answer, but that is the answer.

Friday, March 17, 2017 6:39 AM
  • Ed, Found out the root cause.   In ADSI we have 2 attribute . 1 is called "Mail"  and Another 1 called "Proxy address".

So when they create AD contact and stamp email address. It should just update "Mail" attribute field, Not a "Proxy address" attribute.

In our team they updated "Proxy address" attribute manually for AD contact to make that contact to visible in GAL.So that Made Exchange to consider a AD contact is a Mail-contact.

Shyam

• Marked as answer by Shyam89 Monday, March 20, 2017 7:10 AM
    Friday, March 17, 2017 7:33 AM
  • That's exactly what I've been trying to tell you.  Exchange doesn't really use "mail" for anything, and certainly not mail routing.  You should not be populating the proxyAddress attribute manually, instead you should use Enable-MailContact to properly make it a mail contact if you want it to show up in the GAL.

Please feel free to mark responses as the answer and/or vote them as helpful as appropriate.

• Marked as answer by Shyam89 Monday, March 20, 2017 7:11 AM
    Saturday, March 18, 2017 1:44 AM