Exchange 3 member DAG RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have two Data Centers, a primary datacenter and a DR datacenter, so I planned to configure the following DAG configuration:

Primary site: 2 DAG members, DC's
    DR site: 1 DAG member only passive databases, 1 DC
    No file share witness.

If one member in the primary datacenter fails, all db's are active on the second member in the primary datacenter.
    If the primary datacenter fails, I have to manually activate the member in the DR datacenter using the Restore-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup cmdlet.

What about the cas array? I planned to create a cas array in the primary datacenter. If the primary datacenter fails, I change the dns settings for the cas array to point to the cas on the member in the DR datacenter.

Is this a functional design?

Regards
    Peter

Monday, May 27, 2013 2:04 PM

Answers

• Okay, fair enough.

Your design will work, I believe you will use two separate AD sites for each datacenter.

Single AD will also work, provided you use stretched VLAN across datacenter.

I will still suggest to use a separate server to host HUB\CAS, one advantage is that it will host your alternate FSW in case of datacenter fail-over.

OM (MCITP) | Blog

• Marked as answer by PeterN22 Tuesday, May 28, 2013 6:32 AM
    Monday, May 27, 2013 4:49 PM

All replies

• What about HUB\CAS servers?

Will you host them on the same mailbox server?

OM (MCITP) | Blog

Monday, May 27, 2013 2:19 PM
  • Hi Om

It depends.

If we use HLB's for the cas servers, yes. Otherwise the plan is to use Windows NLB on separate Client Access Servers, but this decision is not yet taken.

In the DR datacenter it's planned to install all Exchange Server roles on the same box.

Regards
    Peter

Monday, May 27, 2013 3:43 PM
  • Okay, fair enough.

Your design will work, I believe you will use two separate AD sites for each datacenter.

Single AD will also work, provided you use stretched VLAN across datacenter.

I will still suggest to use a separate server to host HUB\CAS, one advantage is that it will host your alternate FSW in case of datacenter fail-over.

OM (MCITP) | Blog

• Marked as answer by PeterN22 Tuesday, May 28, 2013 6:32 AM
    Monday, May 27, 2013 4:49 PM
  • Hi Om

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Regards
    Peter

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 6:33 AM