none
Exchange 2010 - purge items in "Recover Deleted Items"

Question

• Currently we have our Exchange database setup to purge items from "Recover Deleted Items", after 14 days.  The issue is that the items will not purge, and they are still there and stacking up.  Any ideas/advice on what I can do to get this to work correctly?  Also, we have the box activated for "Do Not Delete until a Full Back-up is completed", and we have performed a full backup.  Maybe I have a setting wrong.  Thanks in advance for any assistance.
    Monday, May 17, 2010 7:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Could you please run the cmdlet Get-Mailbox <user> | fl RetainDeletedItemsFor and post the results here.

Also please note:

"calendar items are maintained in the Recoverable Items folder structure for 120 days. Long-term data preservation via litigation hold will disable the expiration of the items. "

More information about Single Item Recovery 

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2009/09/25/452632.aspx

Frank Wang
    • Proposed as answer by Frank.Wang Monday, May 24, 2010 1:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Frank.Wang Wednesday, May 26, 2010 1:28 AM
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 4:42 AM

All replies

• So what makes you think the deleted items are not purging?  When you run a backup are the logs truncating on each successful backup?  Do you see a date/time for last completed full backup for the database? 

Sean McNeill Microsoft Gold Partner http://staterainfrastructure.blogspot.com/
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 4:57 AM
  • I know the deleted items are not purging, because I can simply go to my "Recover Deleted Items" in OWA, and I still see all my Deleted Items (all the way back to January, so I know something is not right.)  Also, one of my co-workers is seeing the same thing.  Also, this is after a full back-up is completed.  The logs are fine, and truncating accurately.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 1:35 PM
  • Hi,

Could you please run the cmdlet Get-Mailbox <user> | fl RetainDeletedItemsFor and post the results here.

Also please note:

"calendar items are maintained in the Recoverable Items folder structure for 120 days. Long-term data preservation via litigation hold will disable the expiration of the items. "

More information about Single Item Recovery 

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2009/09/25/452632.aspx

Frank Wang
    • Proposed as answer by Frank.Wang Monday, May 24, 2010 1:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Frank.Wang Wednesday, May 26, 2010 1:28 AM
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 4:42 AM
  • Hi,

Any updates?

Frank Wang
    Friday, May 21, 2010 1:30 AM
  • Seeing the exact same issue. Exchange 2010 Enterprise installed on Server 2008 R2. Running the command

Get-Mailbox <user> | fl RetainDeletedItemsFor

returns

RetainDeletedItemsFor : 14.00:00:00

yet all email that has ever been deleted on the server is still there. All email can still be recovered (this is a new install of Exchange, not an upgrade. From April 2010). Backups are running successfully and purging the logs. We're opening a case with Microsoft tomorrow.

Thursday, July 01, 2010 4:59 AM
  • I'm also seeing the exact same issue as JCjjjJC.

Anyone have an update?

Friday, August 27, 2010 7:09 PM
  • I'm having the exact same issue on one mailbox where the recoverable items is greater than 20GB.  How can I manually purge this data?

-Robert

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 11:34 PM
  • Search-mailbox should do it with the

SearchDumpsterOnly and DeleteContent switch

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd298173.aspx

Search-mailbox -identity <alias> -SearchDumpsterOnly -DeleteContent

I believe these commands are SP1 specific.

• Proposed as answer by luismendeze Friday, January 20, 2012 8:52 PM
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 12:33 AM
  • Andy,

Thanks for the quick response, but I'm still on RTM.  Any other ideas?

Thank you,

Robert

Thursday, September 16, 2010 12:43 AM
  • I was able to solve my problem with MFCMAPI.  I used it to load the mailbox profile (in online mode) and was able to empty the Recoverable Items folder.  Now the next question is how did 10 million items end up in that folder and why wasn't it purged automatically.  The items in the folder were IPM.Appointment.

-Robert

Friday, September 17, 2010 12:47 AM
  • I have the same issue (on RTM). I'm trying to use MFCMAPI but I can't locate the "Recoverable Items" folder. Can you provide detailed directions to find it? Also, how did you apply that to all mailboxes in the server?

Thanks.

Friday, November 05, 2010 4:06 PM
  • Hi,

we are on exchange 2010 SP1, we are also facing issue for some of the mailboxes where the dumpster size is almost 20 GB. using MFCMAPI, i can see the items in the folder are  IPM.Appointments. please help me on how to clean the folder using shell. search-mailbox cmdlet does not help as it can only clean the Recoverable Items\Deletions folder. the items are at the root (Recoverable Items)

Thanks NPP
    Wednesday, April 06, 2011 7:58 AM
  • Hi,

Similar situation here. Currently running Exchange 2010 RTM and one user has 1.3 million items in the dumpster. However, MFCMAPI doesn't show these items (or I can't find out how to show them - any pointers?) so I can't delete them. Search-mailbox doesn't support the -SearchDumpsterOnly option so it's a bit risky to use it with the -DeleteContent option.

Anyone know how these items got into the dumpster?

Friday, April 15, 2011 10:08 AM
  • zlsiirk,
    1.) Give your account rights to open the mailbox.  
    2.) Go to control panel > mail > profiles > ask for a profile each time outlook opens
    3.) Open Outlook > New profile > input appropriate info for mailbox and users alias > UNCHECK "cached exchange mode" > open the users mailbox once w/ Outlook, then close Outlook.
    4.) Open MFCMapi (if Outlook is x64, then use x64 of MFCMapi)
    5.) ok > Session > Logon and display store table
    6.) Select the profile for the user you added.
    7.) Double click "mailbox - user"
    8.) Expand "Root Container" > right click on "Recoverable Items" and select > open contents table
    9.) Give it a min to enumerate all items
    10.) Select any unwanted items and right click "delete message"
    11.) You can also expand recoverable items and then highlight purge or deletions and open the contents table for those as well.
    12.) Then close windows until you get the original one and logoff.
    Be careful with MFCMapi as it can cause serious damage to a mailbox. 
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:42 PM
  • It works like a charm, I run the command

Search-mailbox -identity <alias> -SearchDumpsterOnly -DeleteContent

and now the mail from my user is clean of the deleted items..

Greetings.

Friday, January 20, 2012 8:52 PM
  • zlsiirk,
    1.) Give your account rights to open the mailbox.  
    2.) Go to control panel > mail > profiles > ask for a profile each time outlook opens
    3.) Open Outlook > New profile > input appropriate info for mailbox and users alias > UNCHECK "cached exchange mode" > open the users mailbox once w/ Outlook, then close Outlook.
    4.) Open MFCMapi (if Outlook is x64, then use x64 of MFCMapi)
    5.) ok > Session > Logon and display store table
    6.) Select the profile for the user you added.
    7.) Double click "mailbox - user"
    8.) Expand "Root Container" > right click on "Recoverable Items" and select > open contents table
    9.) Give it a min to enumerate all items
    10.) Select any unwanted items and right click "delete message"
    11.) You can also expand recoverable items and then highlight purge or deletions and open the contents table for those as well.
    12.) Then close windows until you get the original one and logoff.
    Be careful with MFCMapi as it can cause serious damage to a mailbox. 

By way of an FYI - you might need to disable 'cached exchange mode' on the local client before loading the profile to be able to see the 'recoverable items' folder.
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 2:50 PM
  • this is nice and all, but how to fix multiple mailboxes? thousands of mailboxes? any ways to automate this process? with mfcmapi it takes at least 5 minutes per mailbox
    • Edited by rdx148 Tuesday, October 29, 2013 2:37 PM
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 2:35 PM
  • I faced a similar problem and used the below PowerShell command to go though all mailboxes in Exchange 2010 SP1

Get-Mailbox | Search-Mailbox -SearchDumpsterOnly -DeleteContent

you get a confirmation prompt and can go one by one of all ..

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 9:10 PM