none
"Resuming Windows" after a complete shutdown? RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Windows 10 on a test machine recently. It's working pretty well except for one thing: whenever I cold-start the machine it displays a screen that says "Resuming Windows." Why -- and how -- is it resuming after I shut it down -- I did not put it in hibernation? Or if it's actually restarting, as it should, why does it claim to be resuming?
    Saturday, September 14, 2019 5:13 AM

All replies

• Hello,

It seems it doesn't shut down.

Please run Power troubleshooter from Settings app > Update & security > Troubleshoot. Let us know what it reports back. 

Also, refer suggestions provided here:

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-windows-10-wont-shut-down

Let me know if this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP. 

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Saturday, September 14, 2019 5:38 AM
  • I tried this again and could not reproduce the problem. It has happened persistently with two different installations of Windows 10, so it's not a one-off, but right now it's eluding me, so the next step will have to wait a while.

I tried running the power troubleshooter. It said "No changes or updates were necessary. But that was after a normal cold start. When the "Resuming Windows" problem recurs, it may be different.

Sunday, September 15, 2019 12:51 AM
  • Keep us updated with your progress.

Regards.

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Sunday, September 15, 2019 7:32 AM
  • Hi

"windows resuming" is the message provided when the system is coming out of hibernation. When a computer hibernates all the contents of memory are downloaded into a file called hiberfil.sys before shutting down the computer. Subsequently, when the computer is powered up, the content in the hiberfil.sys file is reloaded into memory in order for "windows to resume".

The only recourse is to reboot the system and let windows start-up up normally and then you can proceed with trying to optimize your system. If you won’t see the resuming, you can close the button: “Turn on fast startup”:

Best regards

Kiki Shi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 16, 2019 9:22 AM
  • I'm afraid you missed the point of my question. I am entirely familiar with the concept of hibernation and how to control it (at least in Windowses prior to 10). I am asking why I'm getting that message, and how to avoid it, when Windows is not in hiberation: when I power off the machine I shut Windows down, and when I power it on again Windows "resumes."
    Wednesday, September 18, 2019 3:22 AM
  • Hi,

Do you mean you saw “Resuming Windows” instead of others?  I only see “Windows is Resuming” or “Resume from Hibernation” about Windows 10, and here are some of the problems that are similar to what you have encountered and some solutions are given:

FIX: Windows 10 failed to resume from hibernation

Stuck on Windows is resuming

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. This is just for your convenience. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

If it’s convenient to you, share a screenshot with us in order to analyze issue.

Besides, check your BIOS time and reset CMOS.

Best regards,

Kiki Shi

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 7:51 AM
  • This is an intermittent problem. I can't just send you a screen shot; I have to wait until the problem occurs again, and then have the good luck to be paying attention at the right time, since the screen is displayed only briefly.

It's not clear to me that I could get a screen shot even then. Does Print Screen work at this point in the boot process? I've never tried it, but I'm skeptical.

I don't see the benefit of getting a screen shot anyway. The screen looks exactly like any other "Resuming Windows" screen; it's just appearing when it shouldn't. As for whether it says "Resuming Windows" or "Windows is resuming," I can't say; the screen surprised me and I had no chance to record it, so I described it as I remembered it; I'm not prepared to swear under oath that my memory was absolutely accurate.

I'll try to remember to get the BIOS time for you tonight, although again, I don't see the benefit.

Making changes the CMOS settings without knowing whether they have something to do with the problem seems unwise.

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 10:10 PM

• To evaluate the computer environment please post logs for troubleshooting.

Using administrative command prompt copy and paste this whole command.

Make sure the default language is English so that the logs can be scanned and read.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html

The command will automatically collect the computer files and place them on the desktop.

Then use 7zip to organize the files and one drive, drop box, or google drive to place share links into the thread for troubleshooting.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07

This command will automatically collect these files:  msinfo32, mini dumps, drivers, hosts, install, uninstall, services, startup, event viewer files, etc.

Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste the whole command:

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

There is one file for you to find manually:  dxdiag:  

In the left lower corner search type:  dxdiag > When the DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens click on the next page button so that each tab is opened > click on save all information > save to desktop > post one drive or drop box share link into the thread

Please remember to vote and to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    Wednesday, September 18, 2019 10:54 PM
  • Hi

We are looking forward to your update.

Best regards,

Kiki Shi

Friday, September 20, 2019 1:21 AM