none
Local system administrator privilege

Question

•  

Hi, if i am on the wrong forum please redirect me,

I am using windows vista home permium and i am trying to install software; Sony Media Manager 2.3 for Sony Vegas 8.0

And When i open it, it says i need "local system administrator privileges" to install it,

Ive tried doing this from the Administrator account/run as administrator and fiddled with the permissions from the security tab and it doesnt work.. Ive tried command prompts to grant me admin rights, but it still doesnt work.

heres a screenshot:  http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/9511/85395599wz8.jpg

any solutions? it's really urgent, I have searched google to resolve it but I havent found anything that works.

Monday, December 03, 2007 5:36 AM

All replies

• Wrong forum.  Not sure what the right one would be...

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 11:50 PM
  • Sorry to see you having problems with a premium version of Windows Vista.

The most likely cause for this problem is User Account Control (UAC). I'm guessing the Sony software isn't compatible. There are ways to circumvent the error though:

• Right click the setup executable with your SHIFT button pressed at the same time and select the "Run As Administrator" option from the context menu. (A User Account Control prompt will appear) 
    • Turn User Account Control off temporarily by running msconfig from the start menu (A User Account Control prompt will appear)selecting the Tools tab and executing "Turn off User Account Control" from the list.

Please note:

User Account Control helps against malicious software running undetected inside your user context. It's recommended to keep it On. (it's On by default)

For future reference you can post questions regarding Windows Vista in one of the Windows Vista Forums or one of the Windows Vista newsgroups. Especially when you need an answer urgent it's more convenient to ask your questions there, since these guys are really into Windows Vista.

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 9:26 AM
  • i have disabled the UAC a week after i installed windows vista

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 9:54 AM
  • Hi guy

I have search a lot to help you

and found a solution and please take the steps to kill it

1) right click on the setup.exe which you are running to setup the software

and click on "Run as" and runn it as administrator it will solve your problem.

So be cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and if this works i need a confirmation on my email ID narendergakka@gmail.com
    Wednesday, December 05, 2007 12:33 PM
  • Hey Narender Gakka, I dont have Run as on my right click menu,

I only have Run as administrator, and that doesnt work.

Geez vista's annoying..

Thursday, December 06, 2007 9:34 AM
  • Enable UAC back. Go to User Groups. Find the group called Administrator. Add a user to this group. This user is you. In other words you have to add your sign in name to the Groups Administrator. Install your software.

That control is called: Local Users And Groups. You can access it from Control Panel but I use

LusrMGR.msc

for it. It is in Windows\System32 on Vista

Saturday, December 08, 2007 9:27 PM
  •  

hey guys, i downloaded the software from sony's site, it installed then it asked for me to install

a SQL server 2005 or something which is needed for the program to work and it got blocked by the privileges,

and alex, i dont have local users or groups - it says that This snapin may not be used with this version of windows.

Saturday, December 08, 2007 10:57 PM
  •  xentic wrote:

hey guys, i downloaded the software from sony's site, it installed then it asked for me to install

a SQL server 2005 or something which is needed for the program to work and it got blocked by the privileges,

and alex, i dont have local users or groups - it says that This snapin may not be used with this version of windows.

I assumed that you've got Vista. In XP it is somewhat different. I do not remember the steps but I am sure you can get there via Control Panel. I did it many times myself with XP.

You should read your installation instructions carefully. I kind of doubt it wants to have SQL Server. It is perhaps possible it wants SQLEXPRESS. Sql Server Express is free to download from MSDN websites.

What is your version of Windows, BTW?

Sunday, December 09, 2007 2:31 PM
  • Hey alex, i am using Vista home premium.

As I've said that i have granted all the admin privileges to this account,

even though it is the only account ive created.

And i know that media manager 2.3 is compatible with vista,

i have installed the SQLexpress and all the other types, it still doesnt work.

I really think its the privileges thats causing it.

• Proposed as answer by FabrizioMarana Friday, January 29, 2010 2:14 PM
    Friday, December 28, 2007 4:43 PM
  • Download pstools from Microsoft TechNet
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896649.aspx
    Install pstools
    execute "Psexec.exe -i -s cmd.exe"
    You now have a command prompt running under the LSA (Local System Authority)
    Install the software from under that prompt
    If that doesn't work, contact Sony as nothing will work.  :-)
    • Proposed as answer by FabrizioMarana Friday, January 29, 2010 2:15 PM
    Friday, January 29, 2010 2:15 PM