none
OWA 2010 Attachments Download as *.ashx

Question

• Hello,

We have been using OWA 2010 in our organization for a few months now and have not had any issues up until now. Firefox 8 was just released, and with that update, the attachment function in OWA 2010 is not working as expected.

The issue is when you download an attachment, it always downloads as attachment.ashx. I have tracked this down to a malformed Content-Disposition header. OWA is sending the following Content-Disposition:

Content-Disposition: attachment; filename*="FILENAME.EXT"

This notation *= is referenced in the RFC 2231 Standard, but with one notable difference:

Content-Disposition: attachment; filename*=''FILENAME.EXT

Please note that the '' above are two single quotes, and would enclose the language 'en-ca' and if specifying a content type UTF8'en=ca' making the above:

Content-Disposition: attachment; filename*=UTF8'en-ca'FILENAME

I have tested this using PHP to send the malformed headers to the browser and have confirmed that this is the behaviour of the browser when the malformed headers are received. This was tested with both Firefox 8 and Internet Explorer 9 too. Internet Explorer 9 actually does not support this notation at all. It requires the following Content-Disposition:

Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=FILENAME

You drop the single and double quotes as well as the content type and language.

Does anyone know of a patch or fix for this? I read somewhere that Update Rollup 1 was supposed to have addressed what I think was the same problem, however, we are already at Update Rollup 3 or 4.

I know we could downgrade the browsers or rename the files upon download to work-around the problem, but would prefer to find a solution, not a work-around ;-)

Any Ideas?

Cheers,
    titanicfanatic

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 5:03 AM

Answers

All replies