none
Dealing with Large OST / PST files

Question

• We have several users whose email accounts are over 10GB (two of which, of course, are 'the bosses').  We have an Exchange 2003 server.

We've moved a majority of items to PST and attached them that way but it still is super sluggish opening (Outlook 2007).

Are there any real solutions short of forcing a purge?  Ideally, there would be an application that allows me to devote a Virtual Machine to their PST's and have them access them via a web browser.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

OC

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 8:11 PM

Answers

• Teach them to use subfolders.  Large mailboxes aren't so much a problem as having a lot of items in the folder you're opening or working in.
    --
    Ed Crowley MVP
    "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    "OC Hoops" wrote in message news:0f25ee23-f74b-4f7c-8121-d18bfeb6bd9c...

We have several users whose email accounts are over 10GB (two of which, of course, are 'the bosses').  We have an Exchange 2003 server.

We've moved a majority of items to PST and attached them that way but it still is super sluggish opening (Outlook 2007).

Are there any real solutions short of forcing a purge?  Ideally, there would be an application that allows me to devote a Virtual Machine to their PST's and have them access them via a web browser.

OC

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    • Proposed as answer by Alan.Gim Monday, July 19, 2010 7:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alan.Gim Tuesday, July 20, 2010 8:25 AM
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 4:25 AM
  • Please refer to the article below to avoid the performance impact for users:

Thinking about Mailbox and Message Size Limits

Exchange 2010 has eliminated the use of PST file, and allows users to access their historical messages from server. They can access the data from web browser (OWA)

Exchange 2010: Understanding Personal Archives

James Luo
    TechNet Subscriber Support (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/ms788697.aspx)
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 10:09 AM

All replies

• Teach them to use subfolders.  Large mailboxes aren't so much a problem as having a lot of items in the folder you're opening or working in.
    --
    Ed Crowley MVP
    "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    "OC Hoops" wrote in message news:0f25ee23-f74b-4f7c-8121-d18bfeb6bd9c...

We have several users whose email accounts are over 10GB (two of which, of course, are 'the bosses').  We have an Exchange 2003 server.

OC

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 4:25 AM
  • Please refer to the article below to avoid the performance impact for users:

Thinking about Mailbox and Message Size Limits

Exchange 2010 has eliminated the use of PST file, and allows users to access their historical messages from server. They can access the data from web browser (OWA)

Exchange 2010: Understanding Personal Archives

James Luo
    TechNet Subscriber Support (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/ms788697.aspx)
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 10:09 AM
  • hi,
      Microsoft Outlook is a highly popular email platform that can handle a 

large volume of messaging. The email items in Outlook are stored in files 

with PST format. PST files have generally two formats – ANSI and Unicode. 
    ANSI file format is supported by older version while UNICODE format is 

more required in current version. These .pst files are the repositories of MS Outlook for emails, contacts, tasks, contacts, calendar information, and much more.PST file created using Outlook versions 97, 2000 & 2002 are ANSI files and these file has file size limitation of 2 GB, beyond this user cannot store anything.  Outlook PST files size increases due to many 
    reasons but, the common cause for it is the presence of huge email attachments within the mail messages. 

To compress the size of the PST file and to save the PST file being corrupt you should go for a third party PST compress tool. There are n 
    number of PST  compress tools in the market whose main features is to compress the PST file by applying various options. I use one of them i.e  [B]SysInfoTools PST compress and Compact[/B]. This tools have excellent features to compress large PST files. I use it after trying number of PST compress tools in the market. But the functionality and output of this tool is the best among all. I normally use it in my office as i am administrator so i have to deal large PST files oftenly. But this tool always release my pressure and help me to deal with my pst files.
    I can refer you a link try it, and feel free to deal with huge PST files.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 7:59 PM
  • This tool, while widely available, is hardly foolproof.
    Monday, December 06, 2010 3:25 PM
  • Hello Buddies, You can tried out some PST Compression Tool for compressing your huge file, because it's quite simple and great way to compress your .pst file. You can also tried out some other file compressing technique like, you can run in-built .pst file compressing scheme or removing e-mail attachments in a different folder and then compress them using ZIP utility, following after you can re-attach them to your .pst file. But this whole process is quite tiresome, which you surely want to avoid, so now the potential solution to compress your .pst file is to have efficient PST Compression Tool with you. I am great fan of PST Compress and Compact from SysInfoTools which offer great flexibility in managing your huge .pst archive file. I tried this tool many times in the past which delivered me some great results with each outing.

OK..Thanks

Darrell

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:14 AM