none
Offline Address Book not updating RRS feed

• Question

• Server = Exchange 2010
    Clients = Outlook 2007/2010/2011

Default Offline Address Book is set to automatically update at 6 am, 10 am, 2 pm, and 6 pm.

I have tried manually updating the offline address book through the EMC and EMS. There were no errors in either interface, nor in the Windows Event logs. After manually downloading the OAB to Outlook, none of my clients are seeing new entries. The last new user to appear in the OAB was created at 9:33 AM yesterday morning. The next user, created at 11:47 AM, isn't showing up and neither are any other users added since then. The online address book is accurate. It is only the offline address book that is not.

Any ideas what I should look at?

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 7:36 PM

Answers

• And are the OAB directories on the servers updated? Check the time stamps. The OAB files are copied to the CAS from the generation server for web -distribution, once there they are available to the clients

ALso, you can set the Diags for the OAB Generator under the ExchangeSA to Expert on the generation server to see if the OAB is successfully generated then restart the Microsoft Exchaneg File Distr Service on the CAS to copy them over to the CAS.

If all looks good on the server side, delete the *.oab files on the client and download the OAB manually again to see if its updated.

Understanding Offline Address Books

• Marked as answer by reprac Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:53 PM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:02 PM
  • Thanks, AD. I restarted the file distribution service, and that fixed the problem.
    • Marked as answer by wendy_liu Tuesday, May 29, 2012 6:04 AM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:53 PM

All replies

• And are the OAB directories on the servers updated? Check the time stamps. The OAB files are copied to the CAS from the generation server for web -distribution, once there they are available to the clients

ALso, you can set the Diags for the OAB Generator under the ExchangeSA to Expert on the generation server to see if the OAB is successfully generated then restart the Microsoft Exchaneg File Distr Service on the CAS to copy them over to the CAS.

If all looks good on the server side, delete the *.oab files on the client and download the OAB manually again to see if its updated.

Understanding Offline Address Books

• Marked as answer by reprac Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:53 PM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:02 PM
  • Thanks, AD. I restarted the file distribution service, and that fixed the problem.
    • Marked as answer by wendy_liu Tuesday, May 29, 2012 6:04 AM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:53 PM
  • Hi - 

i have a similar issue , our OAB is updating fine on the servers and also on OWA .

But in outlook client GAL  its not updating ,i restarted the distribution service and also deleted all the *.oab files and downloaded the address book , still cant view lot of names that were created 3-4 days back. 

Also this issue is specific to a region and not across the enterprise and we are all on the same Hosted Exchange Env .

Any idea?

Vaibhav

Thursday, July 19, 2012 10:41 AM