none
Can't receive email from specific domain

Question

• We have a Barracuda 300 on firmware version 5.1.2.006 and running Exchange 2010 on Server 2008 R2 for our domain. We are having trouble receiving email from a specific domain (they are hosted by Cisco IronPort). They are not on a blacklist and neither are we.

We have most settings on default or recommended. All other email from the Internet we have no problem receiving. We have SPF and DNS reverse lookup setup correctly on our domain.

I am working with the other company to try and resolve this. We have both contacted our ISPs and they have reported back that they are not blocking any SMTP traffic from either IP range.
    DNS reverse lookup seems fine on mxtoolbox. Here is our info:

Domain = vsbdc.com
    IP = 68.65.66.82
    MX = mail.vsbdc.com
    PTR = 68.65.66.82 mail.vsbdc.com
    SPF record checks out too

What steps do I need to take to troubleshoot this?
    Monday, March 18, 2013 7:04 PM

Answers

• Ok, here is the thing. Since they are having trouble sending to you ( and not the other way around), they need to prove that you have accepted the message. If they can provide SMTP logs showing your domain accepted it, then its on you to take it from there and trace it from your SMTP gateway to Exchange. Until they prove that and provide logs showing that, they need to work this from their end. If you want to enable SMTP protocol logging on your end on the Barracuda and have them send test messages so you can show them how your server is responding to the messages they are sending that is fine, but really this is on them until they can show you accepted the messages.

Twitter!:

Monday, March 18, 2013 9:12 PM

All replies

• Can you elaborate on "We are having trouble receiving email from a specific domain"?

What does message tracking and SMTP protocol logging show? Do senders get a NDR? If so, what is the exact NDR?

Twitter!:

Monday, March 18, 2013 7:09 PM
  • Since they claim to have sent it, but you don't see it, I'd start by asking them to produce outbound tracking logs, proving they sent it and that your side accepted the mail.  Then, I'd look at logs on your side.  Of course start with the outermost point and work in (your Barracuda, Exchange etc).  Exchange logs are found here.  Otherwise you should post a question in Cisco/Barracuda forums for support.

Mike Crowley | MVP
    My Blog -- Planet Technologies

Monday, March 18, 2013 7:10 PM
  • Can you elaborate on "We are having trouble receiving email from a specific domain"?

What does message tracking and SMTP protocol logging show? Do senders get a NDR? If so, what is the exact NDR?

I am not an Exchange expert.  I will have to look into message tracking and SMTP protocol logging.  When I run Message Tracking, a blank IE page comes up.

The only email they receive back says this:

#< #5.0.0 smtp; 5.4.7 - Delivery expired (message too old) 'timeout' (delivery attempts: 0)> #SMTP#

The Barracuda message log doesn't show that any messages from that domain were rejected, blocked, quarantined etc.  I'm wondering if the email is even getting that far.

Monday, March 18, 2013 8:18 PM
  • Since they claim to have sent it, but you don't see it, I'd start by asking them to produce outbound tracking logs, proving they sent it and that your side accepted the mail.  Then, I'd look at logs on your side.  Of course start with the outermost point and work in (your Barracuda, Exchange etc).  Exchange logs are found here.  Otherwise you should post a question in Cisco/Barracuda forums for support.

They are CC'ing me on the email they send (different domain) and I receive their email fine.  The spelling is correct of the email address they are sending to.  We don't have issue with any other domain that I know of.
    Monday, March 18, 2013 8:20 PM
  • Ok, here is the thing. Since they are having trouble sending to you ( and not the other way around), they need to prove that you have accepted the message. If they can provide SMTP logs showing your domain accepted it, then its on you to take it from there and trace it from your SMTP gateway to Exchange. Until they prove that and provide logs showing that, they need to work this from their end. If you want to enable SMTP protocol logging on your end on the Barracuda and have them send test messages so you can show them how your server is responding to the messages they are sending that is fine, but really this is on them until they can show you accepted the messages.

Twitter!:

Monday, March 18, 2013 9:12 PM
  • Dear,

I'm facing same issue here.

Did you get a chance to solve it ?

Monday, March 20, 2017 8:49 AM
  • Dear,

I'm facing same issue here.

Did you get a chance to solve it ?

Monday, March 20, 2017 9:20 AM