none
Office 365 Retention - EDiscovery mailbox RRS feed

• Question

• One particular senior user has asked us to recover several years worth of emails. For this purpose we created a special recovery mailbox, and ran an `InPlace eDiscovery and hold' on the users emails.

Our default email retention policy is 1 year. I've tried to create a new 5 year retention policy to apply to this specific recovery mailbox but when I get to the end of the wizard, I get this error:

<v:shapetype coordsize="21600,21600" filled="f" id="_x0000_t75" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" stroked="f">
     <v:stroke joinstyle="miter">
    <v:formulas>  <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0">
      Anyone seen this before?<v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0">
      <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1">
      <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2">
      <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth">
      <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight">
      <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1">
      <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2">
      <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth">
      <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0">
      <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight">
      <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0">
     </v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:formulas>
     <v:path gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect" o:extrusionok="f">
     <o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit">
    </o:lock></v:path></v:stroke></v:shapetype><v:shape alt="" id="Picture_x0020_2" o:spid="_x0000_i1025" style="width:453pt;height:268.5pt;" type="#_x0000_t75">
    <v:imagedata o:href="cid:image004.jpg@01D57D03.E30CABD0" src="file:///C:/Users/JONATH~1.BUT/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.jpg">
    </v:imagedata></v:shape>

Monday, October 7, 2019 12:07 PM

Answers

• I don't think Discovery mailboxes are supported for retention policies, at least I wasn't able to get them working. Although in my case the UI simply ignores the input, but I do get similar error messages in PowerShell.

Simply put the discovery mailbox on litigation hold, that's supported.

Monday, October 7, 2019 6:34 PM

All replies

• I don't think Discovery mailboxes are supported for retention policies, at least I wasn't able to get them working. Although in my case the UI simply ignores the input, but I do get similar error messages in PowerShell.

Simply put the discovery mailbox on litigation hold, that's supported.

Monday, October 7, 2019 6:34 PM
  • OK, thanks a lot for the advice Vasil - I will give that a try
    Monday, October 7, 2019 7:33 PM
  • You need to do a content search in the Security and Compliance center. InPlace hold and eDiscovery in Exchange admin portal have been deprecated. https://acbrownit.com/2019/04/26/export-to-pst-o-365/ gives instructions on how to set things up and do a content search (more or less). You should be able to find the hold features there. No need for discovery mailboxes with the content search tools.
    Monday, October 7, 2019 7:44 PM
  • Hi,

I am writing here to confirm with you how the thing going now?

If you need further help, please provide more detailed information, so that we can give more appropriate suggestions.

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com

Thursday, October 10, 2019 1:58 AM
  • Thanks Kelvin - we're still grappling with this a bit. After downloading results into a discovery mailbox, I've attempted to give the user full access to the ediscovery mailbox. It has appeared in his Outlook, but he can't see any of the content that I can see.

I've also tried changing the cache settings. I need to catch up with him today to see if we're any nearer.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 9:34 AM