locked
Performance Issues between Windows XP and Server 2008 R2 RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello All,

    I'm working on an issue that seems to be a performance issue between Windows XP and Windows 2008 R2 Server. The 2008 R2 Server is an application file server (APPSVR) that serves about 15 local users and 10 remote users via a 2008 R2 terminal server (RASVR). Both of these servers are virtualized on a ESXi 4.1 host. The local office desktops are a mix of Windows XP SP3, Vista, and Windows 7 machines. The remote users and local Vista & 7 users connect and access files and application on the APPSVR with no performance problem or issues at all. The local Windows XP users experience slowness and sluggishness when working in the applications on the APPSVR. The slowness will be pauses between form fields or between switching forms. If these users in the main office switch over to the terminal server, the application run just fine.

    In testing, we've disabled SMB2 on the APPSVR, but that resulted in no change. I've also tested with various size file copies between the APPSVR and an XP desktop, the files all transfer at a normal acceptable rate.

    Anyone seen anything similar or have suggestions? Any other troubleshooting steps?

    Thanks, Nathan

    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 6:51 PM

Answers

  • All,

    At this point, I'm going to close the question. Here is the solution we found has worked to resolve this problem.

    1) Applied this MS knowledge base article fix - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297684
    2) Applied Service Pack 1 for 2008 R2 Server

    These were basically done at the same time in order to make a broad stroke fix as time was imperative to resolve for our client. Sorry I couldn't narrow it down more than this, but these were the last two items changed before the issue was corrected.

    Also to note was that the applications on this server were ones that opened many smaller files and locked them outside of the windows lock. That is they wrote their own lock files to the directory to prevent other users in the application from opening them.

    Hope this helps someone in the future.

    Thanks,
    Nathan

    Thanks, Nathan Allen
    Monday, March 28, 2011 1:29 PM

All replies

  • All,

    At this point, I'm going to close the question. Here is the solution we found has worked to resolve this problem.

    1) Applied this MS knowledge base article fix - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297684
    2) Applied Service Pack 1 for 2008 R2 Server

    These were basically done at the same time in order to make a broad stroke fix as time was imperative to resolve for our client. Sorry I couldn't narrow it down more than this, but these were the last two items changed before the issue was corrected.

    Also to note was that the applications on this server were ones that opened many smaller files and locked them outside of the windows lock. That is they wrote their own lock files to the directory to prevent other users in the application from opening them.

    Hope this helps someone in the future.

    Thanks,
    Nathan

    Thanks, Nathan Allen
    Monday, March 28, 2011 1:29 PM
  • Thanks for sharing the solution Nathan. 

     


    Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA, Network+ Houston, TX

    Blogs - http://blogs.sivarajan.com/
    Articles - http://www.sivarajan.com/publications.html
    Twitter: @santhosh_sivara - http://twitter.com/santhosh_sivara

    This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, March 28, 2011 4:10 PM