Liveatedu contacts in Exchange 2010

Question

• Hello all

Our University recently adquire liveatedu.com for mail enable all the students; now, the teachers (whose mail is in the intranet on Exchange 2010) they want to be able to send email to students. I know this can be done by importing a csv into exchange, creating contacts and then adding them to a distribution list, but I would like to know if there's some kind of 'connector' between liveatedu and Exchange to allow me to have all these contacts without having to import them.

Thanks a lot
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 4:16 PM

Answers

• Ok seems that such option isn't available

support guy told me that the only way to have contacts synchronized is to create a powershell script to automate export of users in liveatedu and import them in Exchange. He told me though, that synchronization from Exchange to Liveatedu is possible, using some microsoft program.

Hope this helps anyone with the same question

Cheers

• Proposed as answer by Andy DavidMVP Friday, August 20, 2010 2:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by Elvis Wei Monday, August 23, 2010 8:26 AM
    Friday, August 20, 2010 1:16 PM

All replies

• thanks, I'll give it a try
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 6:59 PM
  • Ok seems that such option isn't available

support guy told me that the only way to have contacts synchronized is to create a powershell script to automate export of users in liveatedu and import them in Exchange. He told me though, that synchronization from Exchange to Liveatedu is possible, using some microsoft program.

Hope this helps anyone with the same question

Cheers

• Proposed as answer by Andy DavidMVP Friday, August 20, 2010 2:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by Elvis Wei Monday, August 23, 2010 8:26 AM
    Friday, August 20, 2010 1:16 PM
  • The best place to have asked for Live@EDU support with Outlook Live, would have been in Outlook Live Answers which is linked from the Live Support page Andy wrote above.

Yes, you could sync back using export>import with Powershell but actually in a typical implementation you create the MailUser/MailContacts in on-premise Exchange first then the Microsoft program you mention (ILM+OLSync, or GalSync as it might be better known in this forum) will create the Mailboxes (or "link" them if they already exists). This then creates a permanent relationship between on-premise Exchange 2010 and Outlook Live.

However if you wanted to just sync contacts back and not do it the best-practice way it's possible to roll your own solution with ILM using what MS provide, and on the Outlook Live Answers forum you should either be able to search for someone that's done it or (eventually) get an answer on how to do it, or at least where to start.

By the way, if you are going to ask / search it's best to use your tenant admin account to gain access to the private forums or see this thread on how to enable your Live ID.

Steve

Steve Goodman
    Check out my Blog for more Exchange info or find me on Twitter

Sunday, August 22, 2010 11:16 PM