can't access outlook account from home RRS feed

• Question

• We (Tn State Library and Archives) began using Outlook for our e-mail.  I cannot access my account, from home.  I get a message that my name or pass code is wrong.  But, I can access it from other computers, through the internet, here at work...  Any help?

Thursday, December 1, 2011 4:12 PM

Answers

• Hi Tim,

First, you need to tell us the version of your Exchange server. If your Exchange server is 2007 or 2010, clients can use two methods to find the AutoDiscover service. Depending on the client type and whether or not you are logged into a domain, it will use either or both of the following:

1.        Service Connection Point: An object in AD for each CAS server and contains the exact URL to the AutoDiscover service.

2.        DNS: The client uses a set list of URLs based on your email address.

Since you are at home, you need to configure Outlook Anywhere to access Outlook. And you can refer to the following:

1.        Enable Outlook Anywhere using Enable-OutlookAnywhere command. Configure external URLs using Set-WebServicesDirectory and Set-OABVirtualDirectory commands

2.        Ensure AutoDiscover is available on the internet and DNS is configured properly so clients can find AutoDiscover.<domain>.com

3.        Check whether you can access Outlook at home

For more, you can refer to the following articles:

How to Enable Outlook Anywhere

Set-WebServicesVirtualDirectory

Set-OABVirtualDirectory

Hope it helps. If you encounter any difficulties, please let us know.

Thanks

Sophia Xu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Sophia Xu Monday, December 12, 2011 3:16 AM
    Monday, December 5, 2011 2:47 AM

All replies

• When at home do you log into a VPN? If you are using exchange you can't get into your email unless you are on your network, unless you have a web access point.
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 4:42 PM
  • We do have a web access page...  (and everyone else seems to be able to access thier accuounts remotely...)

Thursday, December 1, 2011 5:59 PM
  • Tim I'm going to assume you can get other email at home like yahoo or gmail. If this is true I know your home pc's firewall and router are passing email via port 25. Now try this: https://webmail.domainname.whatever: com, org, or net. If you get the blue Web access box  where it says Domain\user name enter domainname\TAbbott then your password > Logon.

Notes: Domain name =the schools name they have given you such as LSU\TAbbott or Miami\TAbbott.

I used TAbbott assuming that's your username if it's not use the correct name.

Let us know what happens and provide details if it fails.

WillieD
    • Edited by Bigwil806 Thursday, December 1, 2011 9:25 PM
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 9:22 PM
  • Hi Tim,

First, you need to tell us the version of your Exchange server. If your Exchange server is 2007 or 2010, clients can use two methods to find the AutoDiscover service. Depending on the client type and whether or not you are logged into a domain, it will use either or both of the following:

1.        Service Connection Point: An object in AD for each CAS server and contains the exact URL to the AutoDiscover service.

2.        DNS: The client uses a set list of URLs based on your email address.

Since you are at home, you need to configure Outlook Anywhere to access Outlook. And you can refer to the following:

1.        Enable Outlook Anywhere using Enable-OutlookAnywhere command. Configure external URLs using Set-WebServicesDirectory and Set-OABVirtualDirectory commands

2.        Ensure AutoDiscover is available on the internet and DNS is configured properly so clients can find AutoDiscover.<domain>.com

3.        Check whether you can access Outlook at home

For more, you can refer to the following articles:

How to Enable Outlook Anywhere

Set-WebServicesVirtualDirectory

Set-OABVirtualDirectory

Hope it helps. If you encounter any difficulties, please let us know.

Thanks

Sophia Xu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Sophia Xu Monday, December 12, 2011 3:16 AM
    Monday, December 5, 2011 2:47 AM