Exch2010 decommission on one of the site RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Team,

Can anyone guide on steps to follow for decommissioning Exchange server 2010 on one of our site, Please.

We have both CAS and Mailbox servers

Friday, September 1, 2017 10:58 AM

All replies

• Sure - and I'm assuming you mean "one of our site" because you will retain Exchange in your organization.  I also assume when you say you have "CAS" servers, you mean these also host the hub role.  If I'm right up to this point, do the following:

1. Make sure no mailboxes exist on your Exchange server databases, and remove the databases.  If you try to remove a database that appears to be empty, run the following to find the mailboxes you need to worry about:
      Get-MailboxStatistics | ? { -not $_.DisconnectDate }
      Once you've found them, move them elsewhere (which may take Get-Mailbox -Arbitration | New-MoveRequest to move them), then delete the mailbox database.
    2. Make sure there are no public folder replicas on any public folder databases in this site and remove the public folder databases (I hope you don't have these, because this can be particularly painful to clean up), and remove these databases
    3. Run Exchange setup on your mailbox server to remove Exchange from it - if it gives you errors in the prerequisite checking phase, fix what the errors are and rerun it until it runs clean, then let it remove Exchange
    4. On your CASs, make sure they don't belong to any send connectors, then do step 3 above

At this point, you should have all your servers removed from this site.  Let us know if you have any other questions or problems during the process.

Will Martin ...
    -join ('77696c6c406d617274696e2d66616d696c6965732e6f7267' -split '(?<=\G.{2})' | ? { $_ } | % { [char][int]"0x$_" })

Friday, September 1, 2017 1:28 PM
  • Thanks Will for the quick response.

We do have Public folders(Pf db) and this might need to be cleanedup.Also, what about OAB?

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 8:34 AM
  • Only if the Offline Address Book is being generated in the site you are trying to decommission will you have issues.  And it will show up when you attempt to uninstall Exchange on a server that is generating it, so my steps still cover it.

Public folders are the bane to my existence, and it's not simple to delete a PF database.  Make sure you have absolutely no folder replicas on that database (including ones for system folders, which can be persnickety).  If you are positive you have removed all of them, you should be able to delete the PF database ...  "Should" is the operative term here.  If you have troubles, let us know what you've done and what error you are receiving.

Will Martin ...
    -join ('77696c6c406d617274696e2d66616d696c6965732e6f7267' -split '(?<=\G.{2})' | ? { $_ } | % { [char][int]"0x$_" })

Thursday, September 7, 2017 5:46 PM