Cannot start Newly Created Virtual Machine on Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Having trouble getting a NEW Virtual Machine Instance to run on my Win 10 Pro PC in Hyper V.

I get an error: "The application encountered an error while attempting to change the state of My Virtual PC"

I enabled Virtualization in my BIOS.

I can't see any relevant logs in the System Event Log.

I used coreinfo to verify that Hypervisor is present and that my PC supports the following:
    * VMX - hardware-assisted virtualization
    * EPT - extended page tables (SLAT)
    * URG - unrestricted guest
    Monday, July 20, 2020 4:23 AM

All replies

• Hi Justin,

Please check the event log in Event Views > Windows Logs > Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > Hyper-V-VMMS and Hyper-V-worker, check if there's any error message in the log, if yes, please provide the error message for troubleshooting.

Thanks for your time!

Best Regards,

Anne

This "Windows 10 Application Compatibility" Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

"Windows 10 Application Compatibility" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!

We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows 10 Application Compatibility"  forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Monday, July 20, 2020 8:16 AM
  • Hi Anne,  

Thanks for the post. 

The ONLY error log recorded was for the Hyper-V-Worker.

Error message: Virtual Machine Worker Process initialization has timed out, and will terminate.

BTW - I am not convinced my BIOS is all that great.  My Core i7 Sony Laptop is maybe 4 years old.  There is only one setting to enable "Intel(R) Virtualization Technology".  Although Core Info did show it was theoretically working.

FYI - One of my programmers suggested I try "Virtual Box" which may work better.  

• Marked as answer by Justin 2020 Tuesday, July 21, 2020 12:48 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Justin 2020 Tuesday, July 21, 2020 12:50 AM
    Tuesday, July 21, 2020 12:35 AM
  • Hi Justin,

>I am not convinced my BIOS is all that great.  My Core i7 Sony Laptop is maybe 4 years old.  There is only one setting to enable "Intel(R) Virtualization Technology".  Although Core Info did show it was theoretically working.

Please check if the hardware support virtualization:

https://www.windowsservercatalog.com/

Thanks for your time!

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 27, 2020 7:27 AM