none
DAG copy resedding error RRS feed

• Question

• tried to update a DAG copy across site and got following error.  Spoke MS support.  He has no idea what is the file which is used by another process.  I tried twice, same error.  Clicked on Finish and EMC shows the copy is healthy but content is Crawling and it has been crawling for 3 days.  The database is about 200 GB.  Please help.  Thanks in advance.

Summary: 1 item(s). 0 succeeded, 1 failed.

Elapsed time: 11:46:35

DAG2-MDB01

Failed

Error:

A source-side operation failed. Error An error occurred while performing the seed operation. Error: The process cannot access the file 'CiPT0000.000' because it is being used by another process.. [Database: DAG2-MDB01, Server: DALMAIL03.akllp.com]

The process cannot access the file 'CiPT0000.000' because it is being used by another process.

Click here for help... http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/library/ms.exch.err.default(EXCHG.141).aspx?v=14.2.309.2&t=exchgf1&e=ms.exch.err.Ex4543D9

Exchange Management Shell command attempted:

update-MailboxDatabaseCopy -Identity 'DAG2-MDB01\DALMAIL03' -SourceServer 'AKMAIL01' -Network 'DAG2\REPL' -DeleteExistingFiles

Elapsed Time: 11:46:35

Monday, December 10, 2012 5:49 AM

Answers

• Hello Chris,

Based on my experience, we just have one catalogdata-xxx folder in each database folder.

You could follow the steps below to rebuild the index:

a. Stop the Microsoft Exchange Search Indexer and Microsoft Exchange Search services.
    b. Delete the full-text index catalog directory of the problematic databasec. Start the services which stopped in the step-a.
    c. Start EMS (Exchange Mangement Shell) and locate the folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Scripts
    d. Run the following script to reset Search Indexing:

.\ResetSearchIndex.ps1 -force "the mdb"

e. The use the following command to reseed the content index catalog

Update-mailboxdatabasecopy -CatalogOnly

content index catalog

Reseed the Search Catalog: Exchange 2010 Help

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee633475.aspx

Thanks,

Andy

Friday, December 14, 2012 4:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It appears that it is a catalog file. If you stop all search services I believe that the reseed should succeed.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/is/exchange2010/thread/1e7ffb74-3fa5-43d9-bf7c-39b60d53c610

Leif

Monday, December 10, 2012 8:04 AM
  • Hi

Did you try Leif's link to remove the old CatalogData?

Cheers

Zi Feng
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 5:36 AM
  • Leif/Zi,

I just came back from a few days vacation.  I'm new to Ex2010 and have a few questions.  In my DAG there are 3 servers.  So I need to stop search service on all 3 server or just the one on the active DB?  BTW.  Which search service I stop?  I saw Microsoft Search (Exchange) and Microsoft Exchange Search Indexer.  And what's the sequence, stop the service on all, start them again, resume DAG copy?

Thanks.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:49 PM
  • Leif/Zi,

Another question.  There are two database on the same volume so there are two catalogdata-xxx folder.  Once stopped both search services how can I know which catalogdata folder I should delete for the MDB which is having reseeding problem?

Thanks.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 7:16 PM
  • Hello Chris,

Based on my experience, we just have one catalogdata-xxx folder in each database folder.

You could follow the steps below to rebuild the index:

a. Stop the Microsoft Exchange Search Indexer and Microsoft Exchange Search services.
    b. Delete the full-text index catalog directory of the problematic databasec. Start the services which stopped in the step-a.
    c. Start EMS (Exchange Mangement Shell) and locate the folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Scripts
    d. Run the following script to reset Search Indexing:

.\ResetSearchIndex.ps1 -force "the mdb"

e. The use the following command to reseed the content index catalog

Update-mailboxdatabasecopy -CatalogOnly

content index catalog

Reseed the Search Catalog: Exchange 2010 Help

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee633475.aspx

Thanks,

Andy

Friday, December 14, 2012 4:27 AM
  • Hi Chris,

Any update on this issue? Please feel free to let us know if you have any questions or need any assistance.

Thanks,

Andy

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 1:07 AM