Removing first Exchange 2010 mailbox DB RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I've just installed a new Exchange 2010 mailbox server and am trying to remove the default mailbox store so that all stores can be homed on the SAN. I keep getting the error:

This mailbox database contains one or more mailboxes or arbitration mailboxes.

Now I've run the Get-Mailbox -Database "DBNAME" -Arbitration to try and locate the arbitration mailboxes to move but I get no results, so I then tried the command without specifying the DB and once again it returns nothing.

Please can someone advise how I am best to locate the offending mailboxes and get them moved?

Thanks,
    Rich
    Friday, January 22, 2010 11:00 AM

Answers

• Hi All,

I finally worked this out, we have multiple domains in our forest including a placeholder domain at the root. It appears that the systemmailbox accounts were located in this root domain and the get-mailbox command only worked when I targeted it at a DC in the root domain using the -DomainController command. I then targeted all the moves using the same switch and the moves worked fine.

I have now removed the DB and everything is fine.

Thanks for everybodys help, much appreciated.

Rich
    • Marked as answer by Rich McCue Wednesday, February 3, 2010 3:31 PM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 3:31 PM

All replies

• Look at the attribute homemdbbl on the Database through ADSIEDIT. It will show you the list of users DN who have mailboxes in that

Friday, January 22, 2010 12:58 PM
  • Hi,

I've just looked in ADSI under CN=DBName,CN=Databases,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=ORG,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=domain, but I can't see the attribute you mention, can you tell me where I should be looking?

Thanks,
    Richard
    Friday, January 22, 2010 1:52 PM
  • Hey Rich,

Check this out if it helps. You need to specify the systemmialbox name while moving arbitration mailbox...

Delete default Mailbox Database & move Arbitration Mailboxes

Amit Tank
    MVP: Exchange Server | MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2010, Configuration | MCITP: EMA | MCSA: M
    Blog: http://ExchangeShare.WordPress.com | User Group: http:/MUC-UG.org.in

Friday, January 22, 2010 3:37 PM
  • Hi Amit,

Thanks for the link, I've seen a number of articles that are similar to the one you mention, the problem I'm having is that when I run the Get-Mailbox -Arbitration command I get no mailboxes returned, if I run it on one of my other mailbox DB's it will return the mailboxes on there but I can never get it to show me any of the arbitration mailboxes.

Do you know how I can identify the mailboxes using different methods?

Thanks,
    Rich
    Friday, January 22, 2010 4:42 PM
  • I have a similar problem here.
    We removed the Default Database right after the install using ADSIEdit.
    Now if I run the Get-Mailbox -Database "DBNAME" -Arbitration, it shows nothing on all the new databases that we created/mounted.
    If I run the Get-Mailbox -Arbitration, it shows the system mailboxes are corrupted.
    Everything seems to work fine though.
    I'm just wondering if the arbitration mailboxes are necessary... If it is, is there a way to fix this...

Thanks,

Idin 
    Friday, January 22, 2010 9:34 PM
  • I'm not at work so I can't remember the exact type, but there's a third type that lives in an Exchange database that prevents it from being moved, that's not mentioned in the Exception. It's called something like a mailbox role, or a mailbox rule. I forget which. Once you move those you'll be able to remove the default database.
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 5:40 PM
  • Another thing that could block it would be if there's a move request going to or from the database.
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 5:46 PM
  • Hi,

When we run get-mailbox –arbitration, we will get two system mailboxes return.

For this issue, I recommend you to use the enterprise domain admin account to run the setup /preparead and setup /preapreschema.

After that ,please use ADSIedit.msc to check if you will have two entry like CN=SystemMailbox{xxxx….} from ADSIedit -->Domain-DC=Domain,DC=COM,CN=Users.

Then please check the “distinguishedName” and the “cn” property and then post here.

Regards,

Xiu

Monday, January 25, 2010 3:35 AM
  • Hi Xiu,

I've checked in ADSI and have found one system mailbox with a homeMDB attribute of the mailbox store in question although it still does not appear when I fo the get-mailbox cmdlet. I've tried to perform the mailbox move using name of the system mailbox but it gives me the error: "The operation couldn't be performed because object 'SystemMailbox{6ba6f307-62b5-41f1-ab15-0d7bd9bae594}' couldn't be found on DCNAME".

The attributes you requested are as below:

distinguishedName: CN=SystemMailbox{6ba6f307-62b5-41f1-ab15-0d7bd9bae594},CN=Microsoft Exchange System Objects,DC=ns,DC=xnsht,DC=nhs,DC=uk
    cn: SystemMailbox{6ba6f307-62b5-41f1-ab15-0d7bd9bae594}

Thanks,
    Richard
    Monday, January 25, 2010 10:26 AM
  • Every database has one system mailbox. That mailbox will never appear from any Exchange cmdlet, and it won't block the removal of a database.
    If you run Remove-MailboxDatabase with the -Verbose parameter, does it reveal anything?
    Monday, January 25, 2010 4:55 PM
  • Hi,

I've just run the command and the verbose info simply tells me which server it is running against, the user context it is running under and finally that it is verifying that there is no associated mailbox user on the mailbox database. Once this has completed it gives the same message as above with no additional info and tells me to run the -arbitration command again.

Thanks,
    Rich 
    Monday, January 25, 2010 5:02 PM
  • Hi,

Please try to change the distinguishedName as  CN=SystemMailbox{6ba6f307-62b5-41f1-ab15-0d7bd9bae594},CN=Users,DC=ns,DC=xnsht,DC=nhs,DC=uk.

By the way,what is your domain name? ns.xnsht.nhs.uk??

Regards,
    Xiu
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 1:50 AM
  • And Get-MoveRequest -SourceDatabase doesn't show anything?

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 5:41 AM
  • Hi Xiu,

It will not let me change the distinguisedName in ADSI is there some process that I have to follow? You are correct our domain is ns.xnsht.nhs.uk.

On a side note there is another system mailbox CN=SystemMailbox{d6b90562-9b57-4a1e-97dc-431c6fcc4b50} that has not got anything for its homeMDB could this be causing any problems?

Thanks again,
    Rich
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 9:07 AM
  • Hi,

Nothing relating to the system mailbox moves just another move that I performed on a test mailbox to and from the DB in question that all worked fine and the get-mailbox cmdlet displayed this mailbox.

Cheers,
    Rich
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 9:08 AM
  • Any references to MoveRequests will prevent the database from being removed.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 12:30 AM
  • Hi,

I've just checked and removed the move requests but it still won't let me remove the DB, same error as before regarding the arbitration mailboxes.

Thanks,
    Rich
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 3:48 PM
  • I'm tempted at this point to suggest removing the database manually from the AD, seeing what breaks (if anything) and then reporting back to the thread on what it was. Of course that suggestion would only serve to satisfy my curiosity.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 6:25 PM
  • Hi,

How many database in your scenario? One database should have one system mailbox. Did you find the system mailbox from  CN=Microsoft Exchange System Objects? If yes, Then vaule like CN=SystemMailbox{6ba6f307-62b5-41f1-ab15-0d7bd9bae594},CN=Microsoft Exchange System Objects,DC=ns,DC=xnsht,DC=nhs,DC=uk is correct.

Please try to modify the copy HomeMDB value from other users. Also please check the value for legacyExchangeDN

Please use the domian admin to perform these opertaions.

ADSI Edit (adsiedit.msc) Overview
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773354(WS.10).aspx

Regards,
    Xiu

<!---->
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 2:55 AM
  • Hi Xiu,

There are currently 2 servers and three DB's:

Server 1:

Mailbox Database XXXXXX (Problem DB) - No Users
    Test DB 1 - Currently one test user

Server 2:

Test DB 2 - Currently no users

The system mailbox objects are located in CN=Microsoft Exchange System Objects,DC=ns,DC=xnsht,DC=nhs,DC=uk. Looking at this there are four using the msExchSystemMailbox class and there is one for each of the DBs plus an extra one without the homeMDB attribute populated.

The legacyExchangeDN attribute is populated for all the systemMailboxes and it is in the format /o=OrgName/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=SystemMailbox{GUID}.

I've changed the homeMDB attribute of the of the msExchSystemMailbox for the DB but it is still not allowing me to remove the DB.

Thanks,
    Rich

Thursday, January 28, 2010 12:59 PM
  • Hi All,

I finally worked this out, we have multiple domains in our forest including a placeholder domain at the root. It appears that the systemmailbox accounts were located in this root domain and the get-mailbox command only worked when I targeted it at a DC in the root domain using the -DomainController command. I then targeted all the moves using the same switch and the moves worked fine.

I have now removed the DB and everything is fine.

Thanks for everybodys help, much appreciated.

Rich
    • Marked as answer by Rich McCue Wednesday, February 3, 2010 3:31 PM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 3:31 PM
  • I have the same issue but do not have Exchange actually installed anywhere in my root domain.  When I try to even query for the mailboxes i get an error regarding "no suitable domain controllers" when using the root DCs.

I can see the accounts in ADUC in the root domain.

I'm thinking about just deleting them from ADUC in the parent domain and recreating them via /prepare domain in my child domain.  But not sure if this is advisable.

Mike Crowley: MCT, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP: Enterprise Administrator / Messaging Administrator
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 10:06 PM
  • I have the same issue but do not have Exchange actually installed anywhere in my root domain.  When I try to even query for the mailboxes i get an error regarding "no suitable domain controllers" when using the root DCs.

Ok, so this is really a PITA, but I got it going.

Here is the command:

Get-Mailbox -Arbitration -DomainController rootdc1 | New-MoveRequest -TargetDatabase newdb1 -DomainController rootdc1

Why is this a PITA you ask?  because I started with -DomainController FQDN and that didn't work.  Only after I used the hostname did it complete.  I then had to do the remove-moverequest the same way

Mike Crowley: MCT, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP: Enterprise Administrator / Messaging Administrator
    • Proposed as answer by Animesh S Saturday, December 11, 2010 3:57 AM
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 10:19 PM
  • Ok, so this is really a PITA, but I got it going.

Here is the command:

Get-Mailbox -Arbitration -DomainController rootdc1 | New-MoveRequest -TargetDatabase newdb1 -DomainController rootdc1

Why is this a PITA you ask?  because I started with -DomainController FQDN and that didn't work.  Only after I used the hostname did it complete.  I then had to do the remove-moverequest the same way

So this came to my rescue too. If there are multiple domains, then the first mailbox's Arbitration mailbox goes to the root domain by default. One needs to connect to the root domain controller to move them.

Good catch, both Mike and Rich.

Saturday, December 11, 2010 3:59 AM
  • I searched for this for three stinkin' days before I found it!!!

This was the answer to my prayers!

Mike - thanks for finding this and posting it here. I hope the Microsoft adds this to their documentation.

Will Smothers
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 2:39 PM
  • Ok, if I use the hostname, nothing works, command returns no error and no output.

Get-Mailbox -Arbitration -DomainController dc1 | New-MoveRequest -TargetDatabase db1 -DomainController dc1

If I try command with fqdn,

Get-Mailbox -Arbitration -DomainController dc1.root.ds | New-MoveRequest -TargetDatabase db1 -DomainController dc1.root.ds

I get error below:

An Active Directory error 0x51 occurred when trying to check the suitability of server 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'. Error: 'Act
    ive directory response: The LDAP server is unavailable.'
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], SuitabilityDirectoryException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 43C9B524k so I tried it with FQDN, hostname

HELP!!!!!

Thursday, December 15, 2011 9:06 PM
  • The First database contains the SystemMailboxes which are the Arbitration mailbox(es).

We have to move these system mailboxes to another database before we remove the Default Database.

1. Find the Arbitration Mailbox using the Exchange MAnagement Shell (EMS):

Get-Mailbox -Arbitration | Where {$_.Name -like "SystemMailbox*" } | ft –wrap

2. Now create a new move request in order to move the system mailboxes to another mailbox database:

New-MoveRequest -Identity "SystemMailbox{1f05a927-32d1-4e19-8ea5-67eba859f541-yourGUID}" -TargetDatabase "dbxxxx"

3. Verify whether the move request completed:

Get-MoveRequest

4. Now remove the move request

Remove-MoveRequest -Identity "the name of the request like Microsoft Exchange Approval Assistant"

Also refer this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg588318.aspx
    Friday, April 6, 2012 4:11 PM