none
Can I use a virtual machine as an SMB 3.0 File Share? RRS feed

• Question

• I have read a lot of docs online that give information on SMB 3.0 technology and I'd like to think that I have a solid grasp on the information.

I was curious about whether or not a VM (or two) could be configured to work as an SMB 3.0 File Share for a Hyper-V cluster.

Let's say that I have two Hyper-V hosts clustered and configured for HA. Could I use a virtual machine (or two) existing on one of those hosts as an SMB file share for both of the hosts to use for shared storage?

I'd like to think that this is possible, but I don't see any where online where users have written about this configuration. It makes me wonder if there are bottlenecks that I haven't thought of. 

Is it possible? Why or why not?

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 6:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This should be possible to do, however if the Hyper-V host's storage (where the virtual machines are stored) is the same as where the virtual machines's SMB 3.0 file share is located, what are you gaining on this?

If the aim is to get a SMB 3.0 shared storage, yes you can accomplish it by doing it this way, I would however recommend using a separate shared storage for this.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 11:18 PM
  • >>Could I use a virtual machine (or two) existing on one of those hosts as an SMB file share for both of the hosts to use for shared storage?

Although you can achieve this, but it doesn't make sense.

The purpose of high availability is that when a node fails, the role on the node can automatically fail over to other nodes, but in the case of cluster health. In your environment, once the storage node fails, other nodes will lose their connection with the storage, and the cluster will also be offline.

So I strongly recommend that you use separate storage in your environment.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact

Thursday, November 21, 2019 5:27 AM
  • Hi,

I am writing here to confirm current situation.

If the above suggestion are helpful to you, please be kind enough to "mark it as an answer" for helping more people.

Regards,
    Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact

Monday, November 25, 2019 6:15 AM