none
EMC Initialization failed on Get-ManagementRoleAssignmentForLogonUser

Question

• This error occurs while attempting to run EMC with my credentials.  They are the same credentials that I installed the server with.  My account is a member of Exchange Organization Administrators.  I also tried putting my account in the newly greated group of Organization Management.  Neither one appears to give me the authority I need.  But my account is fully mail enabled and I can access the mailbox through Outlook, so I know the account is working from the Exchange attributes perspective.  However, this is the error I am getting while attempting to launch EMC.....

The role assignment method, User, isn't recognized.  It was running the command 'Get-ManagementRoleAssignmentForLogonUser'.

I read a thread earlier that talked about removing/adding the Administrator to certain USGs, but since I didn't install with Administrator, I tried to add/remove my own ID from them as it instructed with no luck.  I am not sure where to go from here.  Thanks.

Sandy

UPDATE: A complete uninstall and reinstall with a different ID produced the same error in EMC.  I don't understand why the role assignment method, User, isn't recognized.  The ID is in the Exchange Organization Administrators group, which is in the Organization Management Role group.  It has all the access it should.  I don't understand this and would greatly appreciate some help.  Thanks.
    • Edited by Sandy Harvey Tuesday, September 01, 2009 6:14 PM update
    Monday, August 31, 2009 8:25 PM

Answers

• Ok, I guess I misunderstood a different post on this similar issue, and I can see where the misinterpretation of how to use the groups could be a problem for users that have the old Exchange Organization Administrators group that they are used to using in AD for previous versions of Exchange, including the Beta.  I was able to resolve the EMC intialization error by removing the ID that was used to install (and that I was logged in as) from the old Exchange Organization Administrators group and adding them into the Organization Management role group only.  Having them in the Exchange Organization Administrators group and having the Exchange Organization Administrators group nested in the Organization Management role group DOES NOT work!  You have to put them into the Organization Management role group specifically and remove them from the old group to make it work.  This seems like a bug since you should be able to have a group nested in the Organization Management role group, no matter what it is called and have it work. 
    • Marked as answer by Sandy Harvey Tuesday, September 01, 2009 7:15 PM
    Tuesday, September 01, 2009 7:15 PM

All replies

• Ok, I guess I misunderstood a different post on this similar issue, and I can see where the misinterpretation of how to use the groups could be a problem for users that have the old Exchange Organization Administrators group that they are used to using in AD for previous versions of Exchange, including the Beta.  I was able to resolve the EMC intialization error by removing the ID that was used to install (and that I was logged in as) from the old Exchange Organization Administrators group and adding them into the Organization Management role group only.  Having them in the Exchange Organization Administrators group and having the Exchange Organization Administrators group nested in the Organization Management role group DOES NOT work!  You have to put them into the Organization Management role group specifically and remove them from the old group to make it work.  This seems like a bug since you should be able to have a group nested in the Organization Management role group, no matter what it is called and have it work. 
    • Marked as answer by Sandy Harvey Tuesday, September 01, 2009 7:15 PM
    Tuesday, September 01, 2009 7:15 PM
  • Thanks for your post. I had the exact same problem. This fixed the issue for me as well.
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 11:51 AM
  • Also, thank you from me - resolved my home issue!!
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 1:44 AM
  • Thanks worked for me as well.

Sunday, November 15, 2009 8:53 AM
  • Fixed mine too! thanks.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 3:02 PM
  • Helped me too ! Thank you !
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 9:39 PM
  • Thank You Sandy , Excellent work you saved my time,good digger.
    pcma
    Thursday, December 02, 2010 12:38 AM
  • Hello and thank you for your post.

I had the same issue during my Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2013 migration. 

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 8:02 PM