none
Only hash marks appear in the free/busy data for some users

Question

• Running Exchange 2010 Rollup 3 on Windows 2008 R2 - 64-bit.  All users are running either Outlook 2007 or Outlook 2010.

Some users are experience an issue where they will see hash marks in the free/busy data for some users, though other people will see the correct information for that same users. 

This could be for appointments that are only a couple weeks in the future.

Any suggestions?

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 2:07 PM

Answers

• If they're getting hash marks for users when others can see the free-busy data, then their client is having trouble obtaining free-busy data.  If all clients are Outlook 2007 or 2010, then they should be using the Availability Service (web services) for free-busy data, so that's where I'd look, to ensure that web services is working on all your CAS servers for mailboxes on all mailbox servers.  Try using the Test-WebServicesConnectivity cmdlet first.  In Outlook, run the AutoDiscover test and see if they're getting the correct settings.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 8:45 PM
  • Okay run this command on client machine..

Close Outlook
    Start..>Run---> outlook /cleanfreebusy

Make sure that user is in online mode when you run this command

-Gulab

Monday, October 25, 2010 1:57 PM

All replies

• Does this consistently affect specific users or is it more random, like for a user, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't?  Have you tried to start the Outlook client with the /cleanfreebusy switch? 
    Tim Harrington - Catapult Systems - http://HowDoUC.blogspot.com
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 7:54 PM
  • If they're getting hash marks for users when others can see the free-busy data, then their client is having trouble obtaining free-busy data.  If all clients are Outlook 2007 or 2010, then they should be using the Availability Service (web services) for free-busy data, so that's where I'd look, to ensure that web services is working on all your CAS servers for mailboxes on all mailbox servers.  Try using the Test-WebServicesConnectivity cmdlet first.  In Outlook, run the AutoDiscover test and see if they're getting the correct settings.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 8:45 PM
  • Is it a migrated scenario? If Yes that check the replica on FB folder.

Post the update.

-Gulab

Sunday, October 24, 2010 11:38 AM
  • This is not a migration scenario.  It was a brand new install of Exchange 2010.  It is only a few users having the issue and it is apparently not all the time for them.

For one particular user, it works in OWA, so I deleted their Outlook Profile and created a new one, which then started to work.  Yet I hear they are having problems again.  This same person though didn't have all the latest updates to Windows 7 and Outlook.  I have turned logging on for their Outlook and waiting to see if it happens again.

Monday, October 25, 2010 11:40 AM
  • Okay run this command on client machine..

Close Outlook
    Start..>Run---> outlook /cleanfreebusy

Make sure that user is in online mode when you run this command

-Gulab

Monday, October 25, 2010 1:57 PM