none
Mailbox Default Settings Restore... Possible ? RRS feed

• Question

• EX2010 /SP3 /RU4 / OLK 2010

we had a pilot run for o365 (hybrid mode) few months back and project was stopped. Users were migrated back using built-in migration tools and as far as I know, no errors were recorded by the project team and roll back was successful. all 0365 users are able to connect to their mailboxes..

2 issues found.. note all o365 mailboxes who are now on-premise had this problem

1/  task list view is broken, no tasks show up when there are tasks. I have tried many things to fix..  

(outlook /resettodobar / reset views / reset folders  // delete tasks and to do search folders via mfcmapi)

2/ our retention policy does not do anything on these mailboxes (it works on all other mailboxes)

from mfcmapi, I verified that somehow o365 policy "guid" was stuck on these pilot mailboxes. I have cleared that manually and then re apply on prem policy, run start-managedfolderassistant" ... confirmed that "guid" had been updated.. still does not work

I also thought of some kind of mailbox corruption.. fair enough.. I tried moving to another database and running mailbox repair with no luck

I have deleted one of the mailboxes and created a new one.. restore data from backup. As you already know, everything on this brand new mailbox works

But time consuming and user disruptive process

Any suggestions

Thanks

NS

• Edited by N_Sehdev Wednesday, April 22, 2015 9:26 PM
    Wednesday, April 22, 2015 9:25 PM

Answers

• After working with MS, we found the root cause.. this turned out to be a known issue

see KB.. it was recently created and I'm Glad this issue has been documented

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3056652/

Outlook search folders are not populated in Online mode after migration from Exchange 2013 to Exchange 2010

Assume that your mailbox is migrated from Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 or Exchange Online to Exchange 2010, and your Microsoft Outlook profile is configured in Online mode. In this situation, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms:
    • Reminders are not delivered.
    • Flagged items don't appear in the To-Do list.
    • Items that have an MRM tag are not expired or deleted when the Managed Folder Assistant runs.

Cause

This issue occurs when the hidden SEARCH_RUNNING flag is not set on some folders in your mailbox.

To fix,

• Start mfcmapi.exe.
    • On the Tools menu, click Options.
    • Click to enable the following option:
      Use the MDB_ONLINE flag when calling OpenMsgStore
    • On the Session menu, click Logon.
    • If you are prompted for a profile, select your profile name, and then click OK.
    • In the top pane, locate the line that corresponds to your mailbox, and then double-click it. 

Your mailbox will typically be listed by your email address, as shown in the following screen shot.

• In the navigation pane on the left, expand Root Container.
      • For the Reminders issue, right-click the Reminders folder, and then select Edit Search Criteria.
      • For the To-Do issue, right-click the To-Do Search folder, and then select Edit Search Criteria.
      • For the MRM issue, right-click the AllItems folder, and then select Edit Search Criteria.

For example, the following screen shot shows the AllItems folder under Root Container.

• In the second Search State box, look for the SEARCH_RUNNING value. If you don't see SEARCH_RUNNING, go to the next step.

Edit Search Criteria screenshot
    • In the first Search Flags box, replace the existing text with the 0x2 value. As soon as you finish typing 0x2, you will see the second Search Flags box populated with "RESTART_SEARCH," as shown in the following screen shot. Click OK at the bottom of the window. This restarts the search service for this folder.

Hope this helps

Thanks

NS

Friday, May 8, 2015 2:46 AM

All replies

• You seem to have tried everything I can think of, very odd indeed.  How many mailboxes are effected by this?

Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline Exchange Mailbox and Public Folder EDB's and Live Exchange Servers or Import/Migrate direct from Offline EDB to Any Production Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 --> 2007 --> 2010 --> 2013 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 9:47 PM
  • total 40

O365 since it is 2013 backend have also added some new hidden folders like broker subscriptions, calendar version store, document centric conversations, graph store, location, mailbox associations etc etc..

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 10:06 PM
  •  I will ask around to see if anyone knows what the issue could be.  Have you by chance yelled at MS about this?  Seems that the rollback is a severely flawed.  There are allot of structural changes in 2013 and seems that the rollback may have brought some of those changes along for the ride.   I will ask around but my gut says you may have to make them fresh mailboxes and then recover the historical data to make it right.

Let me know if you discover anything and I will do the same

Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline Exchange Mailbox and Public Folder EDB's and Live Exchange Servers or Import/Migrate direct from Offline EDB to Any Production Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 --> 2007 --> 2010 --> 2013 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 10:17 PM
  • Thanks Troy.. agreed that roll back process is not fully stable.. I have not contacted MS yet but I will tomorrow.. I thought this would be easy fix but so far it does not look that way

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 10:39 PM
  • forgot to include that all flagged items have been affected too.. outlook mail view show flags on individual messages but

task list remains empty -- there are no items to show in this view

NS

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 11:03 PM
  • All sorts of special, thanks for the update

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 11:13 PM
  • After working with MS, we found the root cause.. this turned out to be a known issue

see KB.. it was recently created and I'm Glad this issue has been documented

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3056652/

Outlook search folders are not populated in Online mode after migration from Exchange 2013 to Exchange 2010

Assume that your mailbox is migrated from Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 or Exchange Online to Exchange 2010, and your Microsoft Outlook profile is configured in Online mode. In this situation, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms:
    • Reminders are not delivered.
    • Flagged items don't appear in the To-Do list.
    • Items that have an MRM tag are not expired or deleted when the Managed Folder Assistant runs.

Cause

This issue occurs when the hidden SEARCH_RUNNING flag is not set on some folders in your mailbox.

To fix,

• Start mfcmapi.exe.
    • On the Tools menu, click Options.
    • Click to enable the following option:
      Use the MDB_ONLINE flag when calling OpenMsgStore
    • On the Session menu, click Logon.
    • If you are prompted for a profile, select your profile name, and then click OK.
    • In the top pane, locate the line that corresponds to your mailbox, and then double-click it. 

Your mailbox will typically be listed by your email address, as shown in the following screen shot.

• In the navigation pane on the left, expand Root Container.
      • For the Reminders issue, right-click the Reminders folder, and then select Edit Search Criteria.
      • For the To-Do issue, right-click the To-Do Search folder, and then select Edit Search Criteria.
      • For the MRM issue, right-click the AllItems folder, and then select Edit Search Criteria.

For example, the following screen shot shows the AllItems folder under Root Container.

• In the second Search State box, look for the SEARCH_RUNNING value. If you don't see SEARCH_RUNNING, go to the next step.

Edit Search Criteria screenshot
    • In the first Search Flags box, replace the existing text with the 0x2 value. As soon as you finish typing 0x2, you will see the second Search Flags box populated with "RESTART_SEARCH," as shown in the following screen shot. Click OK at the bottom of the window. This restarts the search service for this folder.

Hope this helps

Thanks

NS

Friday, May 8, 2015 2:46 AM
  • Excellent news, glad to hear its resolved and thanks for the detailed post as I am sure it will help many others

Friday, May 8, 2015 3:29 AM
  • Hi @N_Sehdev,

I know this goes back a long time and not the same scenario and a long shot but,  you mentioned the hidden folder broker subscriptions in your post. 

I am a Global admin trying to help my users with the following:

I reported an issue to MS support: Comments from the Planner app disappeared from the tasks in the app, and could not be found in the group shared mailbox either. 

Support said the messages were moved from the group mailbox to the BrokerSubscriptions folder that one of the members in Planner must have created in their own outlook. Seeing the name, it sounds improbable a user created such folder, and would like to find out more about your comment on broker subscriptions hidden folder. Is this a system folder? How can it be located? Thanks

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 4:15 PM