none
Only Black Screen - White Cursor After Reboot??? (Mostly Vista)

Question

•  

Hi,

Please Discuss the issue regarding "Only Black Screen - White Cursor After Reboot-Vista "(other Oprating system). Please brief error, Will give resolution at best with quick response.

Regds,

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 2:15 AM

Answers

•  

There is KB Article regarding this issue,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946532

Cause of this issue is cleared but the Wokaround is strange ...

• Unmarked as answer by Sohail Patel Thursday, March 19, 2009 5:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sohail Patel Thursday, March 19, 2009 5:33 AM
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 7:31 AM
  • Fix for Windows Vista Black screen issue

1.      Boot the affected machine, using a WinPE media.
            If you do not have a the ability to boot into WinPE, you can use Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset (
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5D600369-0554-4595-8AB4-C34B2860E087&displaylang=en)

2.       At the command prompt, launch regedit.exe and load the SYSTEM hive per the instructions in the following KB article(disregard the Remote Recover tool as it's not  
              necessary for this scenario). 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934958

3.       After the hive is loaded, modify the following key value per the instructions below:
              Key:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs
              Value Name:  ObjectName
              Old Value:  LocalSystem
              New Value:  NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService

4.       Unload the SYSTEM hive by single-clicking the root key(i.e. whatever name you provided it) and then click File -> Unload Hive. menu item.

5.       Exit regedit.exe

6.       Reboot.

Best of luck, This will fix the issue of Windows Vista Black Screen

Regds,"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    • Marked as answer by Sohail Patel Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:26 AM
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:26 AM

All replies

•  

There is KB Article regarding this issue,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946532

Cause of this issue is cleared but the Wokaround is strange ...

• Unmarked as answer by Sohail Patel Thursday, March 19, 2009 5:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sohail Patel Thursday, March 19, 2009 5:33 AM
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 7:31 AM
  • I've had this happen on four of my Vista PCs - all with Service Pack 1 (which the kb article says it's fixed): two were fixed by performing a system repair via the Vista DVD; two had to be either reinstalled or restored from backup.

Maybe it's a different issue with similar symptoms.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 4:06 PM
  •  

Black screen white cursor problem has happened on 6 vista machines in our office all with vista service pack 1.  A couple computers we were able to fix with restore to earlier date, another two we were able to fix using last known configuration, and the other two we had to reinstall vista.  I need a fix or a patch for this asap.  Microsoft needs to get their stuff together.
    Monday, December 08, 2008 4:44 PM
  • Fix for Windows Vista Black screen issue

1.      Boot the affected machine, using a WinPE media.
            If you do not have a the ability to boot into WinPE, you can use Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset (
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5D600369-0554-4595-8AB4-C34B2860E087&displaylang=en)

2.       At the command prompt, launch regedit.exe and load the SYSTEM hive per the instructions in the following KB article(disregard the Remote Recover tool as it's not  
              necessary for this scenario). 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934958

3.       After the hive is loaded, modify the following key value per the instructions below:
              Key:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs
              Value Name:  ObjectName
              Old Value:  LocalSystem
              New Value:  NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService

4.       Unload the SYSTEM hive by single-clicking the root key(i.e. whatever name you provided it) and then click File -> Unload Hive. menu item.

5.       Exit regedit.exe

6.       Reboot.

Best of luck, This will fix the issue of Windows Vista Black Screen

Regds,"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    • Marked as answer by Sohail Patel Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:26 AM
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:26 AM
  • Sohail Patel,

This is not a fix.  I am presently working on a machine experiencing this issue, and the registry is set correctly.

I'm starting to believe absolutely no one knows what the cause of this problem is, or how to fix it.
    Friday, June 12, 2009 1:37 PM
  • This did NOT solve the problem for me either.

I checked the registry using MSDaRT.

It was already set to "NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService".

Please be advised that this is NOT resolved.

Thanks.
    Thursday, September 03, 2009 8:34 AM
  • I am having the same problem in Windows 7 RC1. Tried this as well but, as above, was already set correctly. Any further suggestions appreciated. Is it possible a video driver (ATI 9.7 for a Radeon 4770) might cause this problem? Can't boot to safe mode either. When I do all I get is the larger cursor which tells me at least some of Windows is loading.

Thanks.

Mike
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 1:42 PM
  • This did not help as it was already set correctly for me too.  Did anyone ever get an answer.  I am able to get to Safe Mode, but regular windows vista is blackwith a white cursor (which I am able to move the cursor around.)
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
    Friday, January 29, 2010 2:05 PM
  • Any solutions for the black screen and white cursor? I got this when pressing F11 for System Repair after trying to fix the problem: "Logon proces has failed to create the security options dialog. Failure - security options".

One problem after the other one...(!)

Please help asap!
    Thanks in advance!
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 12:29 AM
  • Got a black screen and a cursor..nothing else. No-one can offer a solution. Microsoft strikes again. Buy a new pc or laptop in the uk and it comes with this ____ pre installed and with no discs. So now i have an expensive laptop that doesnt work.

micro-shafted again..

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 9:35 AM
  • Here one that works for me:

- boot into safe mode

- go to the device manager

- uninstall both the video and NIC drivers

- reboot into normal mode and wait for driver reinstallation

It's an odd solution but it works.

Friday, May 21, 2010 8:20 PM
  • I just recently came across this problem that everyone else has encountered. I have tried many things, I cannot try your solution because for me, windows will note even boot in Safemode. It too, results in a black screen with a white arrow.

Friday, May 28, 2010 7:54 PM
  • Has anyone fix the problem on the blank screen with only mouse cursor?

Appreciate if you could share. Thanks.

Monday, December 20, 2010 4:03 PM
  • yes,i have got the same problem but now its sorted.the reason is you operating system{vista,xp,window7}can not  run their own file because of you system hard drive.you hard may damage that is why.its does not  go to desktop and not even you can do refresh installation.best think change you hard disk.
    Friday, January 14, 2011 10:19 PM
  • I have this problem as well and nadeem2020 is wrong. The hard drive is fine and I can do anything I need to with it when I attach it to another machine.  My value was also set correctly to NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService.  After days of searching, I think this problem has been upsetting users for almost 4 years on different versions of windows.  It appears to be caused by an update that overrides some system files for the graphics card and it happens on a variety of machines, including HP, Compaq, and Toshiba.

What I can't understand is that if we can boot, sign in, and get a cursor, the fix should be possible, surely?  Especially if its been going on for years!

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 11:18 PM